REVELL Me262 "Nightfighter"

Chris/Germany

Hy mates,
main event of the year, the Bodensee-Expo, is over, Navy-collection was nearly complete ( ok, the AVENGER is left, but I'm a bit overloaded with "overall-glossy-blue" tongue.gif and so she will follow later ) so I decided to start my next "theme"-project, depicting german nightfighters.
This global project will include at least 2 Me 262 Twoseaters ( old Revells, what else laugh.gif ), two me 110s, 1 ARADO 234 B Nightfighter, a FW 190 with Neptun-radar ( white "10") and finally.....an Heinkel 219 "UHU".
I set myself a time schedule of something around 2 years to complete the whole project, and an old REVELL 262 twoseater will do the "opening".
As usual, I start with the engine........for sure the bird will be done as a cutaway, including the Jumo 004
( remember.....There's only one REAL Ripper!!! laugh.giflaugh.gif ), and also fur sure the Jumo will work, here are the first shots of the hardly modified REVELL parts:
compressor wheels made from alu-pieces, motor is sitting in the middle of the whole thing ( black area)

post-4-1133562702.jpg

Chris, this is one of my favourite aircraft as you know. One day I also want do make a 262 2 seater (perhaps when trupeter makes one ;) )and a 110 so I will be appreciating this build and this theme very much.

The engine looks stunning. A work of art. Keep this one away from the tourists hey! (I would still love to know what happened to the corsair)

Good luck with the fabulous project! Pauke Pauke!!!

Guest LSP_Jay L

Are all of those fans going to spin?! ;) This sounds like it will be an awe inspiring project mate. I'll be looking forward to it!

Cheers mate,

Jay

Yep, as usual starboard sides of all birds will be "opened" and therefore the engines of the jets "have" to be visible, means at least 3 of these powerplants have to look like this one ( 2 for the Me's, 1 for the ARADO). Thanx good most of this detailing level don t have to be done for the portside engines ( although the 1st compressor wheel should look the same sad.gif )
The Corsair is in the "hangar" ,waiting for repair and service 'till the whole act is cleared up with the visitors insurance ( perhaps I need some more photos of the damage so it's better to wait ) but I think I can fix it without too many visible damages.

cheers

Chris

Chris,

I did not reply to your email bacause as you said, your research was done, but I have found two interesting pictures for you. They concern red 10. I have two pictures of her showing clearly mottling on the top of the engine and the flaps, which would mean the mottling was carried onto the wings, like you were looking for.

Although some of the pictures of red 8 and 12 show the engine covers black or green, I still believe the museum might have made an error doing the top wings solid.

The funny mottling was not applied at factory, but by the unit themselves after they got dispersed into autobahns. The mottle is to hide a plane standing in a pine forrest from above, so the wings would have had to be done.

I post both pictures, I hope they help!

post-4-1133564752.jpg

Thanx a lot Piet, thats great 'cause although most of the written history says upperwings of "Red 8" were with solid colour instead of cammo I'm not absolutely sure if this makes sense ( as you mentioned above).
That's one of the reasons why I'm planning to do two of the 262 Bs ( besides of having three in the storage laugh.gif ) 'cause so i can do one bird in the cammo of "Red 8" like she's looking after restoration and the second one , perhaps "Red 10" or "Red 12", in an overall cammo-sheme, although it still might be a bit "what if"!
Thanx for the pics

cheers

Chris

The Corsair is in the "hangar" ,waiting for repair and service 'till the whole act is cleared up with the visitors insurance

Hi Ripper,

I must have missed that. What hapened to the Corsair ?

Good work on the 262 so far.

Hello Chris the Ripper, very sorry to hear about the F4U-4, went to page 2 of the report and was the photos and read about the curious spectator. Still, can't picture what really happened...did they drop something on the model? If you have already talked about this too much and don't care to go there again I'll understand.

I"m just asking because this is the first time in all the years of modeling contests that I've heard of a model being destroyed. There has to be ways to prevent this. Looking forward to your 262 project, later.