Trumpeter 1/24 Ju-87A

Gigant

Guest Smitty44

I really enjoyed building the 1/32 version. The main issues were the leg pants are incorrectly shaped, the spinner is also shaped wrong, and the gun on one wing had to be removed/panel lines filled for ammo bay.  I had a ready for inspection thread, however those pics were lost in the black hole some call photobucket.

I really enjoyed building the 1/32 version. The main issues were the leg pants are incorrectly shaped, the spinner is also shaped wrong, and the gun on one wing had to be removed/panel lines filled for ammo bay.  I had a ready for inspection thread, however those pics were lost in the black hole some call photobucket

Thanks Smitty, John did a similar review, Trumpeter 1/32 Junkers Ju 87A "Anton" *Done! 11/19/14* - Works in Progress, but he had no issues with the landing gear pants.

In my research, I found three pant-leg cover shapes for the Ju-87A's, two slightly different, the third being the most different, which tells me that as they went through the changes from the A-0's to the A-1's and the A-2's  the landing gear strut's forward angle changed to re-center the wheel's axle back towards the wing-spar as they increased the weight the airframe carried for both more powerful engines and greater ordinance. This would avoid over-stressing the strut's attachment points to the point of failure like that of the Focke-Wulf 200 Condor's which occasionally resulted in wing-spar failure as well as requiring the changes in the pant-cover shapes.

Also, in fact my research tells me that they did not normally have only a single wing-gun. As I understand they originally wanted four guns, but settled for two. So my guess is that was a special field modification to save weight to increase the range of certain aircraft.

And also since the A-1's and  A-2's had two different propellers, and since that could easily explain the spinner issue as well, I am skeptical that those items are actually inaccurate at all either.

Well, once again I am thankful that my engineering-experience borne research skills have once again saved me from the unwarranted worries that others proffer.

Edited by Gigant

Guest Smitty44

Thanks Smitty, John did a similar review, Trumpeter 1/32 Junkers Ju 87A "Anton" *Done! 11/19/14* - Works in Progress, but he had no issues with the landing gear pants.

Actually he did find issues with them as I enlarged the picture of the template he created to trim them properly to use on my kit.. Neither his nor mine were corrected with anything but home grown modifications, no aftermarket.

Edited by Smitty44

Actually he did find issues with them as I enlarged the picture of the template he created to trim them properly to use on my kit.. Neither his nor mine were corrected with anything but home grown modifications, no aftermarket.

Corrected from and to which type? The A-1 or -2? There were differences, but they were not as pronounced as with the A-3.

My kit looks like the A-2 and that suits me just fine.

Hint: A reference to a real, accurate historical record might be useful to us here....

Edited by Gigant

Guest Smitty44

Corrected from and to which type? The A-1 or -2?

My kit looks like the A-2.

All the pictures I saw appeared to have a obvious angle to the bottom of the wheel pants and not the rounded appearance of what was in the kit. John startyed speaking about on page 4 and 5 of his build thread