1/48 Tamiya Ki-61 Id Hien

Thunnus

Guest Peterpools

John

Holy Cow, absolutely brilliant paint work; totally blow away. Your per-shading technique took me by surprise and oh my - does it look realistic. Aces on the masking and the balance of your paint work: simply first class!~ pastels mixed with water - will be giving this technique a go on my Dauntless.

Outstanding work and thank you so much for the detailed photographs and how to's.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Magic,

well actually hard graft and perseverance but then you know that. ;)

So great to see this superb build humming along nicely.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

Thanks Dan!  The excellence of the Tamiya kit helps this build moving along at a good pace.

John,

That looks fantastic!

Gaz

Thanks Gaz!  Always appreciate your comments!

Fantastic job! :goodjob:

Looking at the pilot's scores, he must have been a real "hot-shot"!

Kobayashi's K-61 #24, which is the aircraft depicted in the kit decals, has twelve B-29 (including one by RAMMING!) and two Hellcat kill markings. 

Sharp...........razor sharp.

Thank you Mustang!  A little too sharp... I will be toning down the bright red markings with some weathering.

John

Holy Cow, absolutely brilliant paint work; totally blow away. Your per-shading technique took me by surprise and oh my - does it look realistic. Aces on the masking and the balance of your paint work: simply first class!~ pastels mixed with water - will be giving this technique a go on my Dauntless.

Outstanding work and thank you so much for the detailed photographs and how to's.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you Peter!  Sharing is important to me.  And sharing means giving and receiving.  I have gained so much insight and knowledge from the internet that I feel compelled to keep the exchange of information going.  I'm just doing my little small part.

Beautiful work, John!

Kev

Thank you Kevin!

Bravo John, bravo!

Regards,

Thank you!

W O W luv it

Appreciate the comment!

Moving along with the build!  After the camo and markings have been applied, we've come to the weathering step and I wanted to do some paint chipping.  I've been using this kit to test a paint chipping technique that I've never used.  Up until this point, it has been used on very small items such as the prop blades and the drop tanks.  I feel comfortable enough with using a sponge that I've applied chips over the entire model using a mixture of silver and grey paints.

IMG_2229.jpg

IMG_2230.jpg

After the sponge chipping was complete, I added to the chipping with colored pencils.

IMG_2231.jpg

IMG_2232.jpg

On the natural metal bottom, I applied some random post-shading with a thinned brown/black mixture.  This mixture was also used to apply the exhaust staining but I've forgotten to take a dedicated photo of that, unfortunately.

IMG_2233.jpg

The next weathering step was to add some salt fading.  This helps to break up the uniform color shade and tone down the bright markings.

IMG_2237.jpg

After the salt crystals were fully dry, I sprayed a HIGHLY thinned grey mix over the aircraft in random streaks.  It's important to modulate the coverage and not be too uniform or else you'll get a result like I did with my 109G-10 build... an unnatural, freckled appearance.

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2240.jpg

But probably the most important step in the salt fading technique is cleaning off the salt completely.  Any leftover salt will, even if initially invisible, will eventually crystallize and manifest itself as a white crust.  I use a water spray bottle and a clean micro-fiber towel to get my salt off.

IMG_2241.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

The salt fading is the last major weathering step on this build.  The model is given a final flat coat and the small bits and pieces that were previously painted and set aside can now be attached.  The Quickboost exhaust stacks are glued in with CA glue and on the underside the landing gear and and doors are glued with Tamiya Extra Thin cement.  The drop tanks are a very tight fit into the wings and I've left them unglued.

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

Another view of the bottom to show the streaking effect of the post-shading.

IMG_2251.jpg

The canopy masks, which lifted after initial application but remained in place after I burnished them down, can be removed.  Any minor paint leaks around the canopy frames can usually be cleaned up using a wooden cocktail stick or toothpick.

IMG_2253.jpg

There was some overspray on the headrest bulkhead that needed to be touched up.  The black wing walk areas were also re-painted to get rid of any stray paint chipping.

IMG_2254.jpg

As you can see, the Quickboost cowling gun barrels and the venturi tube have also been installed.

IMG_2255.jpg

Ok... this one is just about finished.  All I have to do now is attach the pitot tube, the sliding canopy and pop on the propeller.  Oh and the aerials have to be done.

IMG_2257.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

Wow, beautiful work, John. Not only the quality, but the speed of your builds is always impressive to me

Thank you!  I tend to run hot and heavy for a period of time and then life gets in the way.

Truly outstanding! This would be an excellent 1/32 build but in this scale it is over the top good!

Cheers, Tom

Thank you!  One of my goals is to make people wonder what scale the model is.