Tally Ho on the target....5/12/2017 Everything done but the prop

Collin

Colin,

The dry fit on the stand does look good, very good. :piliot: 

I guess that I'm in the minority as I really don't take parts off their sprue locations until they're needed.  I know it's pretty hard to loose a upper wing or fuselage half, but the same applies to seeing how a engine looks, or the Pit, and I'm infamous in misplacing parts. I've found parts from previous builds that just seem to pop up out of no where. :doh: 

Joel

• 2 weeks later...

Got the main body together.  The engine was a PITA.  Cowling looks bad because it's still clear but you can see the NMF and gluing of the engine inside, all will disappear when the NMF coat goes over the main model.  Cleaning up some of the wing root areas and such.  Now comes the canopy masking and other clean up details before I mask her up in prep for an overall NMF discussed earlier in this build. 

Cheers

Collin

DSCN7820.jpg

DSCN7817.jpg

DSCN7815.jpg

DSCN7819.jpg

A good kit

is it a good kit?

Generally it's not a bad kit, but not the greatest either. Surly it's not Tamiya. Fit of the wings is a challenge, and why Trump put all that extra internal detail in the kit is beyond me. You don't need any of it. I will say the kit leaves tons of room for super detailing. Of course the landing gear doors are not meant to be closed and take some work to show in the retracted position. I wish Hasegawa would come out with a mod to their excellent and easy to build 1/32 P-47D/M bubbletop kits and make a razorback...but until then this kit is really the only option.

Cheers

Collin

Base coat of Alclad Alum with AK True Metal Alum paste finger painted over the entire kit. I am looking for that sorta-shiny but abused and gritty NMF you see on Mustangs, Thunderbolts, and Lightnings as they resided in France and other pop-up bases as the 9th AF moved across Europe keeping pace with the fight. I don't like the traditional solid metal look (even with multiple panels of different tone). That "grainy" look is hard to get for sure, but this AK paste comes close. So now it sits overnight drying. Debating if I should throw a light coat of Alclad semi-gloss over to protect what I have or just start taping things up for the invasion stripes/black tail ID bands/cowl/anti-glare panel.

DSCN7828.jpg

DSCN7835.jpg

DSCN7834.jpg

DSCN7833.jpg

DSCN7832.jpg

DSCN7830.jpg

DSCN7825.jpg

DSCN7823.jpg

DSCN7822.jpg

Too shiny. Sip of coffee. Too shiny.

Sat in my man-cave this morning and looking over some color pics of -47's, decided that she was too shiny. So I pulled out some graphite powder, rubbed that over the entire model and slightly buffed, then hit the entire kit with a thin coat of Alclad semi-sheen....then using Alclad Dull Alum misted over the entire kit. I was late for work so no pics until later. Now the metal skin still has some sheen, but has that scale-dirty/slightly weathered look that I think will be a tough and great base for the rest of the work. After the stripes and decals, I will eventually go back and pick out some panels with other AK True Metal paste colors to add variety, but the paste (no matter what the color) will have that grainy look to it. NMF, a never ending WIP. Will I be 100% happy at the end, no chance.

Cheers

Collin

Colon,

For an operational look to a NMF finish rather then a super shiny Museum type finish, I 1st airbrush a primer coat of MIG AMMO gray primer. Even after a light rub of a 4,000 Micro Mesh pad there is a slight texture to the surface. Then the traditional Black base color, which I still use Alcad's Gloss Black. Then Alcad 101 Aluminum. I end up a clean looking slightly oxidized NMF.

In any event, your Jug really looks outstanding wearing it's NMF. 

I've never used any of those AK pastes as I don't really understand what benefit you derive from using them other then slight variations in tone.

Joel

Here are some pics of what I did this morning. I am trying different lighting techniques and using the photo editor on some of these pics to show the subtle weathering/pitting/stressing of the aluminum skin I am trying to achieve. Most of the pics I see show this type of wear after an aircraft has been in the field (vice a factory fresh bird right off the assembly line).

Cheers

Collin

DSCN7858.jpg

DSCN7857.jpg

DSCN7856.jpg

DSCN7848.jpg

DSCN7847.jpg

DSCN7846.jpg

DSCN7844.jpg

DSCN7843.jpg

DSCN7840.jpg

DSCN7838.jpg