Did any Bf 109F-4 use the early seat the Quickboost makes?

oyoy5

The top of the Emil type seat sits above the cockpit decking and is seen frequently in photos of  Bf 109 F-2s...

39821763731_2b2345b2fa_z.jpg

39789883332_fec7b54a62_o.jpg

39821741711_2bf2db7f12_c.jpg

According to Hasegawa's instructions for their Bf 109 F-4 Trop kit, the earlier Emil type seat is correct for all four Marseille schemes depicted in the kit.  However looking at photos of various machines it appears that perhaps only one was in fact so fitted,  W. Nr.  8693, an Erla built F-4 Trop. 

Here are two photos of personnel working on the engine mounted cannon, the aircraft in the background is Marseilles Bf 109 F-4 Trop, W. Nr. 8693.  An Emil type seat has been removed and is visible in the last photo.  Of course just because  the aircraft and the seat were photographed together does not mean that the seat was actually fitted to the aircraft. 

24950656617_5c025ab144_b.jpg

24950639257_7a658fa184_c.jpg

Photos of the other known Bf 109 Fs assigned to Marseille (W. Nr. 10059, 10137, 8673) are likely equipped with the simplified bucket seat associated with the 109 G.

Edited by RBrown

When I was doing some digging on Marseille's Wr Nr 8693, people often used the phrase "Emil style seat". I did take that to mean an actual Emil seat, so it's good to hear that the early F seat was different. I'll have to do some looking around for some drawings of this seat as I'm building 8693 in 1/24.

Just an aside....modern research says that 8693 didn't have the white theatre markings on the wingtips. Am I seeing things, or can I see a lighter colour on the underside of the wingtips in that second photo of 8693?

Just an aside....modern research says that 8693 didn't have the white theatre markings on the wingtips. Am I seeing things, or can I see a lighter colour on the underside of the wingtips in that second photo of 8693?

There are photos of this aircraft being fueled up at Martuba in 1942 which clearly show that it did not have white wingtips.

I was told at the Deutsche Technikmuseum Berlin some years ago by an old Luftwaffe mechaniker that "yes" the older style seat was used in the early F series. He was explaining to our group all the differences from the E up to to the late G series. 

I would take that info to be as accurate... 

Cheers

Alan