Republic P-47D Razorback

So I finally got a little something done on this kit! (Although not very much)

With only three weeks left in the GB I have serious doubts about finishing but I'm going to try. Needless to say I won't be doing much to detail all the interior stuff that you can't see anyway.

The cockpit is mostly done with the exception of the belts:

Office1800x.jpg

Office2800x.jpg

I also got started on the engine but no pics yet. The race is on!

Wow!, Nice looking IP Dave! Looking forward to seeing this as it progresses. Sweet! Glad to see you got moved Ok, and have your space set up to do modelling again. I always found it tough to get everything arranged right,.. darn outlets are never in the right place! :rolleyes:

I was also going to leave out most of the internal detail when I build mine. I'll be watching your build closely to see what is possible to omit. Happy to see you back at building again, I really enjoy your threads. Russ

Play it like Peter Pan - straight on till morning (funny outfit optional).

Kev

post-3154-1213748443.gif Trust me, nobody wants to see me in tights!

Wow!, Nice looking IP Dave! Looking forward to seeing this as it progresses. Sweet! Glad to see you got moved Ok, and have your space set up to do modelling again. I always found it tough to get everything arranged right,.. darn outlets are never in the right place! :rolleyes:

I was also going to leave out most of the internal detail when I build mine. I'll be watching your build closely to see what is possible to omit. Happy to see you back at building again, I really enjoy your threads. Russ

Thanks Russ! My builds are pretty simple stuff compared to yours... And don't even get me started on outlet placement!! :angry: Whoever built this place was just evil! Tied all sorts of outlets to wall switches that have no business being that way.

I did end up assembling most of the interior plumbing, just not painting or detailing any of it. You really kinda need the ducts to get the cockpit to fit properly (or at least I did.) I'm sure the tub could be fit without all that to support it but I'm trying to hurry through this. There are also some parts of the turbo that can be seen from below (just a small bit) that merit the extra effort. I left out all the engine mounting spars and details between the engine and cockpit except what was needed for structural integrity. You end up with something like this:

Dryfit1800x.jpg

Thanks for looking guys! Seems all I had to do was start gluing something to get past the slump I was in.

Oh come on, Dave! You should reconsider the Peter Pan "outfit" :rolleyes: (phhht, snicker, giggle) Especially if it comes with the "hot elvish Tinker Bell with a magic wand option". I hear she's quite useful for filling in seams, and rescribing panel lines. Wave of the wand...and POOF!!! (a real time-saver) Plus, ya get to wear a feather in yer hat, and run around saying"I can fly, I can fly". :rolleyes: ,er...so I've heard. Kevin might be onto something here....hmmm, wonder how HE came up with the idea??? :rolleyes:

Excellent shot of the fuse, really explains a lot. I can see how it all needs to be there to line up and "plug the holes" in the fuselage openings. I wonder how the mechanics got IN THERE to work on all that stuff? Looks like you're almost ready to zip the fuse up already! Swweeeet. British P-47's are cool, really glad to see you tackle this kit so we can see how it goes together. Looking real good, Dave! :lol:

Guest Rigor

post-3154-1213748443.gif Trust me, nobody wants to see me in tights!

:lol: that would be funning :D :blink: :lol: good to see you work on it ,it look's a lot easyer then my revell razorback,cait wait to see her finnished :D

• 4 weeks later...

Alas... This poor bird shall be relegated to the trash due to a almost comical (if it weren't me) mishap.

I was clearing some space on my bench and accidentally bumped the fuselage off the edge of the desk. Not a real problem since I have carpet, except for the part where I jumped to get out of the way while also trying to catch the bloody thing. Of course, I landed right square on top of it. Me not being what you'd call a 'slight build' I pretty well crushed it. Tragic waste of a fairly expensive kit.

This all happened about a week ago but it's taken me this long to be able to write about it calmly. It's also taken that much time to swallow the humiliation of having literally stomped on a kit I was building. :rolleyes:

In an effort to keep my promise (to myself) of finishing at least one kit per Group Build, I'll be doing a hastily built Revell Mk.22/24 Spitfire so I can get something done by August 15th. I'll start a new thread for that shortly.

There will certainly be another Trumpy Razorback in my future. It's a nice kit, and it's my preferred Thunderbolt. I just think the Razorback looks cooler than the Bubble-top. Probably gonna be a while though.. This one has left a scar or two.

Bummer Dave. I'm surprised this hasn't happened to me to be honest. I've always said that if I were a Mr Men character, I'd be Mr Clumsy. Anything you can salvage for the spares box? It'd be a shame to ditch the entire thing if there are usable spares to be had. I'll look forward to that Spitfire though - should look good next to your existing one.

Kev

Bummer Dave. I'm surprised this hasn't happened to me to be honest. I've always said that if I were a Mr Men character, I'd be Mr Clumsy. Anything you can salvage for the spares box? It'd be a shame to ditch the entire thing if there are usable spares to be had. I'll look forward to that Spitfire though - should look good next to your existing one.

Kev

Actually, now that you mention it, there will be quite a lot for the spares box. I stomped on the fuselage only, no wings or anything else had been attached yet. I was so P.O.'d that I hadn't even thought about that... Thanks for pointing out the small redemption that I can salvage from the wreckage!

Alas... This poor bird shall be relegated to the trash due to a almost comical (if it weren't me) mishap.

I was clearing some space on my bench and accidentally bumped the fuselage off the edge of the desk. Not a real problem since I have carpet, except for the part where I jumped to get out of the way while also trying to catch the bloody thing. Of course, I landed right square on top of it. Me not being what you'd call a 'slight build' I pretty well crushed it. Tragic waste of a fairly expensive kit.

This all happened about a week ago but it's taken me this long to be able to write about it calmly. It's also taken that much time to swallow the humiliation of having literally stomped on a kit I was building. :D

In an effort to keep my promise (to myself) of finishing at least one kit per Group Build, I'll be doing a hastily built Revell Mk.22/24 Spitfire so I can get something done by August 15th. I'll start a new thread for that shortly.

There will certainly be another Trumpy Razorback in my future. It's a nice kit, and it's my preferred Thunderbolt. I just think the Razorback looks cooler than the Bubble-top. Probably gonna be a while though.. This one has left a scar or two.

Dave,

How about a crash diorama featuring the remains of a RAF P-47? Just a thought.Don't feel too bad I'd bet you're not the first or the last to do the samething.Even I managed to trip while carrying my P-38 into a contest no less.Wasn't a total loss though I was able to safe the detail part (Interior,tires etc).Never knew a grown man could make such a mess of perfectly good completed project.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Who Still Has Issues with P-38's

• 1 month later...