Here are some pictures of some of the progress I managed to accomplish over the last couple of weeks. As mentioned above, the rudder pedal parts have been omitted, as they broke. The fuselage interior was airbrushed with a mixture of RLM 79, 04 and 23, in different shades and different layers, respectively. The wood grain effect was simulated by using a brown crayon (borrowed from my sister
). I know this technique is rather primitive, but I am pleased with the result. Furthermore, after fitting the fuselage halves together, I noticed that barely any of the interior can be seen, anyway.
The chair was probably my favorite part to paint. It can be somewhat noticed in the picture below, I have managed to replicate the leather effect by first airbrushing a brown base layer, and then dry-brushing with lighter shades of brown, in random directions.
Next, the gas tank was painted and weathered, to account for oil streaks and other sources of "dirtyness". As mentioned in my previous post, the Y-shaped tubes broke as well. I couldn't really live with another incomplete assembly, especially since the oil tank assembly can be seen from the outside, through the open engine section of the fuselage. So I took two copper wires and carefully straightened/bent them as close to the real piece as possible.
The last picture is the windshield, which was painted with ALCLAD Aluminum.
Right now, I'm working on the engine. I have painted and stripped the paint the job about twice now, but I think I got it right the third time. The complex shape of the engine is going to be a challenge, but I hope to overcome it. More pictures will follow soon.