Swordfish Mk II
Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:14 PM
Planned on initially converting it into a float plane, but at the rate i do things it'll be October 2015 before i'd get it done! Will be OOB unless i add some wiring or little stuff.
Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:53 AM
I've always liked the Swordfish but the type has not fitted into my modelling areas of interest so as much as I was tempted by both the Tamiya and Trumpeter kits, I didn't take the bait. However, six months ago I read an article on the Air War over Malta and found it so fascinating I sought other material on the subject. In particular the Swordfish operations off the Island and the incredible amount of Axis shipping sunk by them caught my attention. This led to seeking material on other Swordfish activities in the Mediterranean and really that was it, I just had to get the Trumpeter kit.
By chance there was one on our local Trademe website a month or so ago and I won it (it was a nervous wait as previously these always went for quite a price and were hotly contested, but I was the sole bidder and for a really good price). I haven't had much time to peruse LSP in any detail due to work commitments and spending a wee bit of time in hospital for some ad hoc abdomen surgery (as one does), so here I am at home recouping and having been able to sit up with the laptop on my lap for a couple of days, I've been able to do a bit of catching up on LSP and found your Swordfish thread.
So, are you going to have a go at building this and if so what scheme/markings would you choose?
Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:19 AM
Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:12 AM
Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:04 PM
Proof that actual work is being done on this kit!!
A few fit issues that can be easily fixed with some sandpaper and a wee bit of mr. surfacer. The only big thing i've seen so far is the lower wing aelerons.. the top and bottom edeges don't line up.. I just left the top lines and matched the bottom one's to it..
the wing on the right shows the problem as the red area.. the one on the left has already been fixed
a closer look at the fix.. filled in the existing scribed line with putty, scribed a new line to match the other side of the wing.. pretty easy as the plastic is soft and scribes well..
another problem area was the exhaust collector ring. half the rivets were almost non-existant, the other half were the size of golfballs. I know this is due to the molding process.. so no big deal. The fit between the 2 parts just wasn't good enough for me to attempt to paint them seperately and then glue them together, so i just went ahead and glued, sanded, puttied, sanded, re-scribed and re-riveted the thing. I'm happy with it now..
also started painting the interior.
Just base coated now.. hopefully will have the rest of the cockpit painted and weathered and the fuse closed up by the end of the weekend.
More pics to follow hopefully by sunday.
Thanks for lookin' in
Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:48 PM
Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:25 AM
1/32 Hase Me-109G2/R6
1/35 Su-85/ winter- attach to base
1/32 DH-9a USMC- Delivered to Flying Leathernecks Museum, MCAS Miramar
1/32 Mig-3:winter paint and weathering: in progress and base
Yacht America need some parts.
I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place...
Yes, I built models when I was a kid too.... no they're not toys....
Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:38 PM
makes ya realize everytime you post one of these that macro is definately NOT your friend!
hope to have the cockpit and cowl done by the weekend, then close her up and start painting the outside. this is the point where i always stall out cuz i really enjoy building but have to be in the "mood" to paint! gonna try to find some mood enhancers to see if i can power on through instead of breaking out another kit!
Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:34 AM
Best Rgds Brent
Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:09 AM
Thanks for lookin'!
Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:57 PM
Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:48 PM
Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:49 PM
Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:53 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users