DH9a

TimW

Nicely done! That looks to be a pretty large wing-span. How was the rigging, it looks good from here.

The wingspan is probably around 16-18 inches or so (I haven't measured them). The one surprise I had was the whole strut/upper wing assembly went on without an hitch--the RE-8 and BrisFit required a bit more fiddling and cursing!

Rigging on this one was not bad--I went with my usual steel wire/fishing line approach...thought about the buckles but haven't had the guts to try that yet...the big difference was I used EZline for those really hard control lines that go from the control horns to the elevators. EZline was much easier and more forgiving to work with, but it can be hard to paint.

Apart from some minor fit issues with the engine and engine panels (probably more me than the kit), this one was a pleasure to build. As they all are.

I'm hoping for that FE-2b to come out soon. :)

Regards,

Tim W

Nicely done Tim! Congrats! I like it.

Can I ask you what happen to the port side of the fuselage in the cockpit section? Is it something intended? Just curious...

Nicely done Tim! Congrats! I like it.

Can I ask you what happen to the port side of the fuselage in the cockpit section? Is it something intended? Just curious...

Do you mean the circular blob where the paint doesn't match up? If so, that's where the Americans painted out the original RAF roundel--several sources said the colors didn't match up exactly so I tried to duplicate that.

Tim W

Tim, I think WNW will have a booth at the nats, so.... I'm hoping they will be busting loose with some new releases. The DVII alone will be a huge batch of creative paint schemes. I am liking the Fe2b as well as the Sopwith Tripe, Eindecker.....

Brilliant work, Tim! Now time to crack on with an R-1...

Regards,

Jason

At some point, yes! It's not like I need an excuse to do another one!

Tim W

At some point, yes! It's not like I need an excuse to do another one!

Tim W

Excellent! And if you could find one that had one of the weird variations of the red star that appeared on early Bolshevik aircraft (some supposedly had black stars, although maybe not on the Ninak/R-1) that would be even better. So now that you've got the Ninak out of the way, on to the HB IL-2 two-seater?

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang