XS-Models Hughes H-1

LSP_Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks once again for the kind words fellas. We finally had some decent weather locally after a couple of weeks of rain, clouds and general awfulness, so I took advantage and did some final glamour shots. One thing you might notice is that, in decent light, you can see an area on the port fuselage, just forward of the cockpit, where the Alclad appears to be wearing off! No idea how that's come about; it may have been there all along, as it's almost unnoticeable under normal room lighting. Just another in a long list of disappointments with this build, and I'm unlikely to fix it, though I'm still planning a base and figure for it, so you never know. Anyway, on with the photos!

rj5r9m.jpg

6DKNeS.jpg

GquT0T.jpg

LRYAe6.jpg

VrKm7R.jpg

aFW7Hb.jpg

Cheers all.

Kev

Well despite your disappointments with this build it still looks spectacularly gorgeous to me Kev. A quick pass with Alclad would probably fix the wear on the fuselage but if you leave it as is it'll add another element of character to an otherwise brilliant effort.

Love it!

Cheers,

Wolf

Well despite your disappointments with this build it still looks spectacularly gorgeous to me Kev. A quick pass with Alclad would probably fix the wear on the fuselage but if you leave it as is it'll add another element of character to an otherwise brilliant effort.

Love it!

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Wolf. The main put-off for touching up the Alclad is that I've run out of that shade, and would have to buy a whole new bottle just for the touch ups. I still might, but perhaps when I get the pieces for the vignette together.

Kev

Just caught up with the finished product Kev.

Looks just the part, looks like something fast, but at the same time solid...

I must buy and try some Alclad, it does look a very effective if somewhat delicate finish.

What's next?

Matt

Kev, haven't checked here in a while. I have loved this build since the start. My hat is off to you, my friend ! She is just smashing. The best I've seen of this kit, hands down. Congrats also............Harv :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :punk:

Guest Peterpools

Kev

I'm totally blown away simply magnificent work. If i were in your shoes, I never, ever would have been able to achieved your level of finish. Brilliant, simply brilliant.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Kev,

just dipping in and out of this one, but I see that you were discussing adhesives.

One that never gets mentioned, but which I have always found to be a brilliant glue and filler at the same time is a product called Stabilt Express. It comes as a tube of amber resin, a tray for mixing which includes the lidded pot end full of powder activator, a wee ladle to put the powder in with ( do NOT breathe the powder!) and a small mixing spatula. It is made by Henkel, so available almost everywhere. It dries in about an hour or so to a very hard, fine finish and sticks like the proverbial excrement to the bed clothes.

I have used it since I was 18, which is so long ago! I have also used it for making small repeat items. In those days I used to use a dental product called Impregum as a mould material. Dental techies have all the good stuff. Make one your best friend!

On my first ever model car I used Stabilit for making louvres, that's how fine the stuff is and how easy to file. 4 rows of louvres on a 1/43rd scale Mercedes-Benz W154. Took me ages but looked great.

The other thing I have noticed is that foil tends not to stick well to resin, but does stick to painted resin. I always spray my models in any material with self-etch primer and foil sticks to that much better, whether Bare Metal Foil (expensive and a bit too fragile for my liking) or self adhesive aluminium drainpipe foil from the plumbing shop.

Just my rather late-in-the-day comments on a very fine build. My kind of kite.

Cheers,

Martin

• 4 years later...