Fledgling Swallow - 1/32 FROG/Hasegawa Me 262V-3 prototype

Derek B

It would be worth checking the documentation held here

They have many manuals that can be downloaded for research - you might find something

262.jpg

262a.jpg

HTH

Peter

Once more, you have come up trumps for me Peter - thank you.

Derek

Derek

Unfortunately the site Peter linked to now charges for access to their comprehensive collection of manual etc...I don't recall however, that they had anything specific on the V3. I'd have to assume, without looking in my refs, that the V3 would be fitted with early engines that may impact on the cowl dimensions?

Arthur's drawings will be the way to go (still no contact?), especially as I very much doubt there'll be much in the way of V3 detail images (though I do recall a film of the V3 on YouTube..) of 'pit, wheel wells etc...I'll have a trawl through my refs and see what I have.

EDIT: Derek, here's a useful bit of film.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5JYn3yW8qM

Matt

Edited by mattlow

Derek

Unfortunately the site Peter linked to now charges for access to their comprehensive collection of manual etc...

I don't recall however, that they had anything specific on the V3. I'd have to assume, without looking in my refs, that the V3 would be fitted with early engines that may impact on the cowl dimensions?

Arthur's drawings will be theway to go (still no contact?), especially as I very much doubt there'll be much in the way of V3 detail images (though I do recall a film of the V3 on YouTube..) of 'pit, wheel wells etc...

I'll have a trawl through my refs and see what I have.

Matt

Thank you for that information Matt (awesome video). I am still trying to gather info here, so anything that you come up with will be very useful to me. I am still trying to contact Arthur - his hasn't responded to e-mails (I wonder if it has changed?).

I originally wanted to make the V1, but in it's original form, it is quite a conversion and is moving away from the spirit of this GB. The V3 looks more attractive, and as far as I know, used pre-production Jumo 109-004A-0 engines - I do not know if these differeed markedly from the final production engines in terms of shape or nacelle configuration.

Based on your comments, I wonder if I should now focus on the V1 again, but in it's final guise after it was re-built? In this configuration, I can leave the kit wing unmodified (apart from the undercarriage position), as it was re-built with the production (non-cranked) standard straight leading edge wing and had production Jumo 109-004B engines installed, but still (I believe) had the tail wheel undercarriage and no guns, which is what I wanted in the first place.

Making the late V1 would be less modification for me (just the undercarriage in essence) and maybe nothing to the engines, but more importantly, it will be closer to the spirit of this GB and still enable me to make the very first Me 262 as a tail dragger, which is something a little out of the ordinary and what I want to do in any case...what do you think?

Anyone got any photographs or drawings of the V1 in it's late form?

Thanks

Derek

Edited by Derek B

that's a superb slice of archive matt - thanks for sharing

It is true the site www.cockpitinstrument.de ask for a donation to access their full set of records but I thought if a guy archives to that degree of diligence with the real deal RLM stuff it is easily a (one off, long term) price worth paying

should have made it clear in my post - sorry

Derek, methinks I will enjoy this :popcorn:

Peter

that's a superb slice of archive matt - thanks for sharing

It is true the site www.cockpitinstrument.de ask for a donation to access their full set of records but I thought if a guy archives to that degree of diligence with the real deal RLM stuff it is easily a (one off, long term) price worth paying

should have made it clear in my post - sorry

Derek, methinks I will enjoy this :popcorn:

Peter

I think that I will enjoy this as well :speak_cool:

You are correct about the cockpit instrument website. I hope that I can make the V1 in its later form, at it will be the least work for me and should look different as well.

Cheers

Derek

Soooo, when are you going to actually start this? I want pics !LOL......Harv :fight:

Info, info info Harv...once I have that, I will start it. Any one any idea if the tail wheel was utilised from another Messerschmitt aircraft?

Cheers

Derek

Any one any idea if the tail wheel was utilised from another Messerschmitt aircraft?

As I understand it, all of the tail-dragger prototypes used '109E landing gear legs in all 3 locations (both mains and the tail). The dedicated gear legs didn't come along until the aircraft was reengineered for the tricycle gear.

Not sure about the wheel & tires, though.

HTH,

D

As I understand it, all of the tail-dragger prototypes used '109E landing gear legs in all 3 locations (both mains and the tail). The dedicated gear legs didn't come along until the aircraft was reengineered for the tricycle gear.

Not sure about the wheel & tires, though.

HTH,

D

That is really useful info D. - thank you (I suspected that the tail wheel was most likey a standard (albeit modified) Bf 109 tail wheel assembly).

Cheers

Derek

Derek

I have the Classic volumes and the Luftwaffe u/c book, I'll see what I can find out tomorrow. I like the V3's camo and its well documented (as we've seen). The V1 is an important and interesting machine, but maybe not for this GB (though in its final guise must have closely resembled the V3..?

PS last night I also found a 45 minute training film on how to fly the 262. Some very interesting stuff on getting the turbines up to speed without flaming out - tortuously slow! I'll find the link and post it..

Matt