Tamiya Spitfire Mk.XVIe, First Spitfire build for me.

Hello Carl!! Thanks for the kind offer!! I'm going to leave them alone, there is just no way the parts are coming apart. I was going to go with an inaccurate camo job but i can't do it. I'll be doing a silver bird.

IMG_4576_zpspfzvltsp.jpg

It'll be a colorful build and accurate with the bulges. I'll probably do another one of these and i'll PAY ATTENTION to what i'm doing.

Don

Hey Don,

I also seen that your LHS is mine too.

Carl

Not local, as i'm in Pickering. I have to say, they have most anything you could need!! I  get there once every two months, always a treat. I also hit Daleys hobbies in Whitby.

Have some more aftermarket to add

IMG_4580_zpszwnbufmu.jpg

Some progress on the build, added the gunports to the wing assembly. Fit on these parts needed filling with Mr Surfacer, also took the opportunity to sand the surfaces in front of the main spar to take away the rivet detail.

IMG_4581_zps62ghq6hs.jpg

Added some reinforcement to the wing flap joint, it came apart on me a couple of times.

IMG_4582_zpszaq5euaf.jpg

Don

It makes me smile hearing about Pickering and Whitby. Both of these Yorkshire towns are joined by the North York Moors steam railway here in the UK.

Some of the fit issues on these Tamiya Spits come as a surprise to me. I'm grateful to you for pointing tem out Don. I know to look out for them when I get that far.

Cheers.

Nice bit of progress Don. The gun ports have to be the worst fitting parts in the entire kit.

I'm on the west side of Toronto but I guess it's still closer to Wheels and Wings for me. And you're right, they have just about everything including stuff that's OOP.

Carl

The gunports were a surprise after all i've heard and read about the kit. Really wasn't bad at all (try building the ESCI Tornado or Alpha jet, THAT'S bad fit!!) After those i tackled the engine assembly. I have to say the fit of all those parts is amazing, i get what everyone says about the fit, truly Leggo like. I assembled all parts to see how it was, but i will be doing a closed cowl build, i want to see the Spitfire in its clean beauty.

IMG_4583_zpsfs1gbzfu.jpg

Do you remember Keith's Hobbies on Yonge St? That was a fantastic shop, too

tn_Spitfire-16-32.jpg just for inspiration. Cheers

M.

That's a great pic, to me it shows a dirty aircraft. The rear lower fuselage looks very grimy. I may not be doing this scheme after all. Dropped the wing assembly with no damage done other than one of the larger bulges fell off!! Other side i just pried off easily. Seems like gluing from the bottom through the holes isn't as solid as i thought. I filled the holes with Evergreen round stock, will trim and finish. Hope i don't lose too much detail, if i do, i still have the intact bulges.

IMG_4585_zps5uavh74b.jpg

IMG_4584_zpskoqu7ptu.jpg

It makes me smile hearing about Pickering and Whitby. Both of these Yorkshire towns are joined by the North York Moors steam railway here in the UK.

Some of the fit issues on these Tamiya Spits come as a surprise to me. I'm grateful to you for pointing tem out Don. I know to look out for them when I get that far.

Cheers.

Pickering and Whitby are two towns in southern Ontario separated by, well, a distance of a short train ride, what a coincidence. I have a feeling there won't be many more fit issues unless i cause them. The engine assembly was such a breeze, yet very complex.

Don

Don, nice and fortuitous on dropping your wing and having the unnecessary bulges come off. Glad to see that was the only damage. The gun ports really are the worst of it on the kit so I imagine that's good to know.

Keith's was my go to hobby shop from the early 80's until their lease ran out and they moved somewhere in the suburbs.

Rigby's in the west end was only 15 minutes by bicycle from my parents' house but he only carried kits and paint, no AM of any kind.

There was also Leisure World downtown and Gameways Ark too. Both of those are going way back though.

Carl

Really lucked out on the bulges, i glued these in from the bottom through the holes drilled for the bulges, never did hit them on top. The small ones are permanent, those i hit top and bottom. Hopefully will be able to clean up the fill and do the camo'ed Canadian bird!! One seam on the leading edge did open a bit but is a real quick repair. Keiths hobbies ended north Whitby, up the street from Daileys hobbies. Just a small store, shell of what it was. Didn't last long....

Don

I was going to forgo painting the Engine as well, but with such nice detail, it's hard to resist. I hope the panels fit as well as all the other parts so far. I thought long and hard about the flaps -- I know they're usually up when this aircraft is parked on the ground, but to lose such nice detail had me pondering for a bit...

Nice to see another Tamiya Spitfire virgin...

• 2 weeks later...

Glad the accident had unforseen but happy consequences Don. Sometimes these things happen for a reason.

I spotted the Kagero book on a recent trip to a model shop but got carried away and forgot to pick it up.... :doh:

No matter as I think I shall try to replicate the version out of the box when it comes to that time.

Have you got any further this week?

Cheers.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I've made some progress, did some work on the pit, gluing and painting my way along. The kit pit is well detailed, more than good enough for me. The barracuda Resin lower pit wall goes in trouble free, just follow instructions. I found when dryfitting the fit of all the parts was great. Dryfitting the pit into the fuselage shows that very little of all this goodness can be seen. I'm gluing the door shut as i really like the looks of a clean, closed up aircraft, especially a sleek Spitfire. Next i'll be working on the Barracuda Resin seat, i got the seat for the Revell kit as i couldn't find the Tamiya seat. May have to modify it a bit.

IMG_4587_zpsjqnbxgly.jpg

IMG_4588_zps7wl9agcp.jpg

Don