New 1/32 Tempest - master photos

Jan_K

As I said before, I can understand a schedule being off a month or two or three, to account for unforeseen problems or whatever.

However, there are only two possible explanations for this many setbacks, consuming this much time (years):

1.  As a company they are completely disorganized, with no concept of scheduling or any realistic appreciation of what they can get done in a specific amount of time.

******or*******

2.  The trickling updates and setback release dates are a deliberate, calculated attempt to have internet interest building for years in the hopes of generating more sales when (if) the kit is released.

While neither scenario reflects particularly favorably, I tend to believe #2 is what is going on here.

I was going to go into a detailed description of other possibilities for delays. But, I'll just cut it short and to the point by saying that anyone who starts a model company, with the idea that they're going to satisfy everyone (or "anyone", these days), has got to be completely out of their minds. It's a miracle that they produce anything, given the way we carry on. :mental:

John

I was going to go into a detailed description of other possibilities for delays. But, I'll just cut it short and to the point by saying that anyone who starts a model company, with the idea that they're going to satisfy everyone (or "anyone", these days), has got to be completely out of their minds. It's a miracle that they produce anything, given the way we carry on. :mental:

John

Cause and effect John, they announce a series of Tempest kits, with provisional release dates May last year, which then get constantly pushed back, because they have other kits to released, like the 1/32 Bristol M.1C which was only announced a few months ago and is now available... and it's us that are  :mental:  ?

Edited by Kagemusha

Cause and effect John, they announce a series of Tempest kits, with provisional release dates May last year, which then get constantly pushed back, because they have other kits to released, like the 1/32 Bristol M.1C which was only announced a few months ago and is now available... and it's us that are  :mental:  ?

Or, perhaps they've taken the time to revise and refine some things because they know that if they release a kit where the 478th rivet on the fourth line of the left wing is .3 scale millimeters off, there will be hell to pay! Yes, we are :mental:

John

John

Well....they say it will come out Spring 2013.  After releasing other erroneous release dates, now they are saying it "might" come out Spring 2015.  That is two years already, even assuming their most recent release date will be accurate, which I see no reason whatsoever to believe.

So John, at what point do you think some criticism of the actions of this company might be justified?  I tend to believe doing what one says they are going to do, whether an individual or a company, is kind of important.

Edited by Bryan

God knows I am no lover of Ken @ PCM (understatement), but I agree he will be laughing all the way on this one

Petr and his crew have led us all up the garden path and that makes me angry and disappointed

People who were clearly on his side originally have become somewhat disillusioned; I am certainly in this group

I am sure it will be a great kit when - or indeed if - it is ever released, but I'm kind of bored with it all now

just release the kit or keep quiet, because everyone thinks they are crying wolf

commercially, they're mad: whatever they have been working on or churning out in the intervening period, they would have made a truck load more if they had brought this kit to market in a timely fashion

***yawn***

I am a bit sorry that posting a photo of master patterns is so emotional thing. I have no relation to the Special Hobby except I am from the same country, but I feel I have to react.

• SH is a small company running short run kits in small quantities. To keep the prices at acceptable level, most of their patterns is done manualy, with significant amount of external work. This kind of business is hard to plan and manage, especialy if you have to react on demand.
  • Note their main business is 48 or 72 scale, the 32 makes the smallest revenue and is quite expensive to make kits due to higher complexity.
  • In most cases they finaly did what they promised. Compare with much larger companies and their promises. (e.g.Trumpeter with short nosed P-40, Devastator...)
Edited by Jan_K

I have to agree with Jan, I can appreciate disappointment but I don't understand the anger displayed over the delay of its release. The Tempest is one of my three favourite aircraft, and I waited a long, long time to see an injection molded kit in 1/32. I bought a couple of the PCM kit immediately on its release, and it is beautiful (plus Roy Sutherland had a hand in it's development). I'll buy the SH kit when it becomes available, because it is a Tempest, and it does maybe look a little more refined and detailed.

SH is part of a small company which has released models of less famous aircraft which would not have seen the light of day except for their efforts, much like PCM. If it takes a little longer to master then I'm not worried, even with my failing eyesight. I don't really believe there is any agenda or malevolent intent in delaying the release. There are enough other things to be concerned about that I can't get that worked up about a model kit being two years overdue. If I had invested in its production and was waiting to make a return on my money (I'm sure those involved in the hobby will laugh, or cry, at that one) then yes maybe I would be upset.

Maybe they should have kept news closer to their chest, and not said anything until they were closer to release. By releasing info maybe they were hoping modellers would wait and they would not lose too many sales to PCM. I don't know. And though some might roll their eyes over an overused sentiment, we are lucky right now to have as much available in 1/32 as we do...stuff we never imagined 25 years ago. French aircraft, between-the-wars types and now First World War, mostly from small companis like SH. There are some surprising holes as Sculptor rightly points out, but with IM and resin we are being pretty well served. Sometimes it's difficult to deal with broken promises, but not over a model kit I don't think.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Hey Richard ... a couple of points to clarify ..

... I have to agree with Jan, I can appreciate disappointment but I don't understand the anger displayed over the delay of its release ...

Frustration and disappointment have abounded here ... anger is too harsh a word - frustration is more apt - largely because two kits were announced at roughly the same time as dead set certainties to be released within the immediate future ... and only one was ...

Brief further explanation - that 'one', while not being a bad kit at all (for a short run type) was lorded over everyone as being the best thing EVER by those who supplied it -  it wasn't - and a lot of voices were raised about the pricing point considering the comparative quality of the merchandise on offer from others at the same price. When kit number 'two' was announced, a collective sigh could be heard almost - a certain vindication for the voice of the masses would be seen now, thank you!! Fantastic test shots (heaps better that those of kit 'one'!! - Plus multiple highly detailed variants) ... AND a rumoured price point comparable to kit 'one' were about to show market forces in action!! The suppliers of kit 'one' were being quite vocal against the oppositions merchandise - constantly reminding us all that kit 'two' hadn't seen the light of day and that he had the only one out there etc etc ... It was poor form really ... BUT the frustrating thing was, he was proven right - very annoying - but right.

THIS, predominantly is the cause of some of our frustration ... that a lot of us backed what we thought was the 'good guy' ... the guy who was quietly getting on with it ... the guy producing something of good quality at a reasonable price - without over emphasising his place in the world ... or trying to force his views or theories on everyone else ... the guy who wasn't 'putting down' comparable suppliers and merchandise to market his own ...

... and we got burned ...

... Maybe they should have kept news closer to their chest, and not said anything until they were closer to release. By releasing info maybe they were hoping modellers would wait and they would not lose too many sales to PCM. I don't know ...

... In light of what has happened ... this probably would have been the best ploy!! ...

I've always thought that - If you say you are going to do something ... DO IT! ... It's how people can know they can trust your word! - One of the most glowing praises I can ever give a fellow worker is: "If he says he'll get it done - he will" ... correctly and In a timely fashion!!

Your theory of trying to retain market share certainly was correct, I think, but with all the delays - that horse has firmly left the stable ... in fact so long ago the that the stable door is shut, locked, dusty ... and has a few cobwebs coating it!! ... In fact, I think that this may have been the reason for indefinite 'on hold' - knowing that market share has diminished significantly during the interim.

Just a thought ... or two ...

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69