Late TBF-1 Avenger conversion from TBF-1C

Durangokid

Most impressive!

There was an FSM article about converting the TBF-1c to a Midway Avenger, but nothing like this!

Tim W.

Your correct, that is my 1/48 Hobby Boss Avenger 1C build on FSM. The main difference is scale and I'm attemting the reverse.

I will watch this build will great interest, excellent detail work so far.

Thanks for all the comments guys, although I hope I don't disappoint everyone with the rest of the build  :whistle:

Trumpeter really did a good job with this kit, especially in the fit department.  There are a lot of parts involved when putting the fuselage together, especially considering the aftermarket stuff, and everything fits well so for.  Every time I add something during my dry fit I think "this won't fit" and it just does.  So kudos to Trumpeter.

Your correct, that is my 1/48 Hobby Boss Avenger 1C build on FSM. The main difference is scale and I'm attemting the reverse.

I will watch this build will great interest, excellent detail work so far.

I hope this will help you in some ways but I think the Midway Avengers were the early variety?  I would love to see your work if you can leave a link.  I'm always interested in seeing other modeler's work.

So only a few boring updates.  I'm having some battery issues with my camera so I'm having trouble getting some updates going. 

I'm not crazy about the Avionics pit but it does add some significant details.  I must have dry fitted everything a hundred times and I'm hoping I got it right.  I had to make a few modifications here and there but it fits fairly well.

When I had everything dry fit together, I marked where the side walls would go and then glued them in place.  I figured this would make it easier in the painting process.

KhnEEE.jpg

b54Rqy.jpg

D8a7XX.jpg

I'm not going to go to crazy detailing the radio operators area since hardly any of it will be seen.  Someone with good scratch building skills could go crazy here but the Eduard interior and a few scratch parts are good enough for me.

yg8YEq.jpg

z3627a.jpg

It is visible but not much so I did just enough to make it look like something is there.

oDaDJE.jpg

Pe1Ibh.jpg

I have more stuff done so hopefully I can figure out what's wrong with my camera :(

Thanks guys, I have a few more boring updates along with a bit of work on the turret.

Great build. It makes me want to dig mine out and start it...gotta resist and finish three already in progress.

I can't tell you how many times I have felt the same!

Since this is the early bird it doesn't have the wing guns so all that will need to be filled.  I use black super glue for my go to filler.  I like it because it dries quickly and I can scribe through it fairly well.

Since I'm not folding the wings, I found it easier to glue the inner wing parts to the outer wing parts before gluing the entire wing together.  I left out the wing fold parts since they don't fit together well and do nothing to strengthen the wing itself.  The wing join was really strong doing it this way in fact, I probably over did it.

TUUHbI.jpg

Nons9G.jpg

yYZLkg.jpg

yKkTXN.jpg

bKVIWM.jpg

UOksei.jpg

RYACP0.jpg

am9G9I.jpg

The Avionics pit come with parts for the turret but I added some additional wiring and some placards.  I added a bit of chipping with a sponge and painted the 50 with Mr Color Iron.  I may add a few more parts like the oxygen hose and attachment that goes on the seat.  I'm waiting to add the gun barrel after the clear part is attached, that way it aligns through the opening.  I broke the clear part for the bullet resistant shield that goes on the front :(  I'll have to figure something out...

uNnQb1.jpg

AXA8sM.jpg

URqNwX.jpg

tCRnMV.jpg

What do you guys thing of the chipping?  Overdone?  Please let me know if you guys see something I'm missing with the conversion.  I have a lot of refs but they can sometimes be a bit misleading.

Thanks for dropping by fellas...

Bryan