RAF P-39D

Neo

Hi Guys

Couple weeks ago i started this project that came with a really cool back story

At last years LSP X-Mas raffle (2016) i won some very cool books , looking back on the thread i notice that maru seamed to relly like them, so i decided to donate them to him no strings attached. To my very big surprise Maru insisted in sending me his raffle win, a 1/32 Special hobby P-39D complete with a Big Ed set, as amazing as this was he also added a squadron walk around and a sort reference on WWII british camo!! its been almost a year and as im writing this im still speacheless! 

Ive been wanting to get to this one and i promiessed myselft to get it going before years end, now ive only manage to build one kit this year , a USCG HH-65.

This year has been a wild ride, ive changed job twice, for the better btoh time, but that brouth lots of late night and homework catching up with the projects , teams, technology stack and on top of that i did a kitchen facelift to my house on a tiny buget of 2500CAD$(buget was a persola challenge of proving that you dont need to spend 15000$ to have a nice kitchen) but im blabering! Back on topic

So for this build i really wanted to build a RAF gray and green scheme so  got the Maketar Mask, and got my first set of brass barrels(profimodeler)

Here is my current progress Cockit is almost done and ive been cleaning up flight surfaces. I installed the PE in the wheels wells. 

Ive spent some time building the PE flaps set but i realized i had to chop parts of the wings to fit them in and im not sure if im up for that challenge yet!. 

I do have one question at the moment, What color are the intakes on these birds(on the leading edge of the wings) ? im leaning on painting them white but im not sure, the only good pics i have and B&W or OD green planes

tZsuDkk.jpg

w2hMQds.jpg

3wWZA51.jpg

More to come in 2018! 

THANK YOU MARU

Cheers

Neo

• 4 weeks later...
HI Guys 

ive been working on this one a little these days but mostly late night witch is making the carpet monster really happy, and progress slow !!

here is the progress ive managed so far

i built up the wings, and while there was a gap in front of the vents i really applied myself to fix it. now today while dryfitting the cockpit, i desided to dry fit the wings on.. but i just realized that those vents are reversed... oups. so i broke out the Tamiya Extra Thin applied it around the joint and managed to pry them out and reinstall then the correct way! 

DokUbWA.jpg

Ive also installe the front vents and puttied it in nicely, there was some gaps but im satisfied with the result

XvI9QHk.jpg

now i have closed the wings and finalyzed that fit on the vent

oDWLo7g.jpg

Ive made some good progress on the cockpit ,and today ive managed to glue the cockpit in, ive lost many many small p.e handles on this one but him still very happy with the results

pGReHed.jpg

here are the doors

1RvbCIY.jpg

GF0Q6BP.jpg

Ky4yGSA.jpg

Ive also been experimenting with the barrels, my father in law gave me some left over Perma blue paste used for guns, ive gave these guys 2 coats, but im sceptical if it will work

3fQKSMW.jpg

More progress soon i hope ! 

thank for following 

• 5 months later...
Hi guys 

it's been a while since I've updated this thread, I must say my modeling time has not been abundant these days.

The project is coming along well and I'm really enjoying it. I've ran couple more passes with the gun blue on the brass barrels and the finish is pretty good

I've spent many hours installing all the pe and the detail in the cockpit. 

I'm really happy with the results, although those throttle levers fell off so many times! 

FtxowUV.jpg

had to tweak the seam line. I used Tamiya surface primer with a bush then sanded it down

pP4Qo6I.jpg?1

I added the Eduard pe to the wheels, you can see the difference 

aWY5OyS.jpg

I installed the canopy, and re worked the seams,

I then primed the entire plane with Tamiya White surface primer(airbrushed)

VGBsSev.jpg

Not in pictures but I've painted the wings leading edges yellow and the RAF duck green band on the rear fuselage. 

As for painting I did not have any RAF colors, so I went out to get some, but unfortunately my close paint sources no longer 

carry humbrol or Model master witch I normally use so I ended up buying some Tamiya paint.

this will be a first for me I'll let you know how that goes. 

Today I realized that I forgot I'm using paint mask ... so I searched for the RAF roundel colors and this is what I've found on the subject

Dull BlueInsigniaFS:35044

Dull RedInsigniaFS:30109

Identification WhiteInsigniaFS:37875

Next step is to match these in MM or Humbrol. 

I believe I should lay down the white now then mask, paint the camo, then paint the rest of the insignias?

I've never done this before but I'm sure I'll figure it out. 

Guest Clunkmeister

This and the P-63 are my two favorite fighters of all time, and I love this.

You're doing this one proud!

Bloody gorgeous.

Looks good! I like the interior a lot

Thank you. It was allot of work but its worth it. Plus since the doors will be left open and the glass is big i have a feeling it will be visible once completed

This and the P-63 are my two favorite fighters of all time, and I love this.

You're doing this one proud!

Bloody gorgeous.

Thank you. I really like these odd planes. This an the p-38 are some of my fav too.

Do you guys have any advice for paint mask?

The reference im using is this tutorial for montex mask

http://www.montex-mask.com/en/tutorial-jak-malowac

Edited by Neo

Day Neo

I did a similar build last year using the Kittyhawk kit

Here is my Flickr album detailing the build, showing some pics of me using the Maketar masks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131700029@N03/albums/72157679018142276

Beware that Maketar does not provide handed fin flashes on his set so you have to make make yourself for one side of the fin.  This is easily achieved using tamiya tape or similar

I use tamiya paints, so used Royal Blue plus black for the roundel blue

Red plus a touch of Hull Red for the red

Yellow plus a touch of red for the yellow

Hope this helps you.  Im liking the work you have done so far

Cheers

Bruce

Guest Clunkmeister

Neo,

I wish I could help, but every single P-39 and P-63 I have ever or will ever build has Red Stars on it's fuselage and wings.

I've just gotten on some crazy VVS kick when it comes to these things.

Keep up the awesome work though, Sir, it's gonna be incredibly awesome when complete.

Ernie

Oooh how did I miss this first time? Looking great so far Neo -  those intakes in particular take a lot of fettling in don't they. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with the top coat - with a strong note to self to dust off mine which is currently resting mid-build but will be in a similar scheme.  :popcorn:

Torben