Nausicaä with Kai

LSP_Kevin

Porco Rosso is one of those movies where the plot just doesn't matter. Don't worry about the story. Just look at possibly the best animation of aircraft ever made into film, with bright amazing colors and sounds that make Disney ashamed to be so boring and dull. If you can watch it in Japanese, you may be even better off, especially if you have no clue what they are saying. Just enjoy the ride and the beauty of flight.

That makes me want a 1/32 kit of all of those aircraft. Too bad that possibility isn't out there now. They need to sit next to the real 30's racing planes where I can enjoy their color and speed.

Tnarg

And I really like the fact that you are making this kit with an eye for realism instead of the single color animation cell approach.... just to have something in this post stay on topic. Keep having fun.

Edited by Tnarg

Porco Just look at possibly the best animation of aircraft ever made into film, with bright amazing colors and sounds that make Disney ashamed to be so boring and dull.

Oooooh, might be a close second there in the flight animation. Without a doubt it is gorgeous, but if you want some really nice flight animation, the scenes in"Wings of Honneamise" are almost unparalleled.

Well, despite not having an over-abundance of time, things are still moving pretty quickly with this one, such is the simple nature of the kit. I've now finished the main assembly on the giant chicken (Kai):

UmnPXQ.jpg

You can see some evidence of a bit of Perfect Plastic Putty here and there. It may need a bit of refining later, but I'm not sure it would even be noticeable if I left it.

Here's Kai with his passenger:

saJyj6.jpg

Getting the figure to sit in the saddle and look natural may be a bit of a challenge, though the pose is a bit of an action shot, so perhaps the illusion of sitting comfortably in the saddle is not required. I'm probably not far off being able to squirt a bit of primer on these two, now.

Oh, and thanks to Dan for linking to the Yumikon Models YouTube channel. I find the tank stuff a bit boring, but what he does to enhance the figures is truly inspirational! And why do Japanese modellers seem to have access to such refined and fancy tools? Luckily, my daughter, who is studying Japanese, was able to translate one of the brand names for me, and I now have one of those cool Mineshima TM-19 scraper/chisels on its way to me.

Model on!

Kev

This is neat!  

There are a lot of anime shows I really enjoy, but this is not one Ive heard of. I would probably not be considered a "hard core" anime guy, with my likes including Attack on Titan, Samurai Jack, IGPX, One Piece and other more fairly "main stream" anime.

This looks like just the type of thing to get ones mojo back if lost as well.  I need to do something out of my usual zone too.   Looking forward to some paint! 

That looks great so far!  Lots of details on both Nausicaa and Kai.  Nausicaa looks a bit chubby in the cheeks but that could be because of the lack of paint.  Can't wait to see more!  FWIW... in the manga translated in English by Viz Comics, Kai and Kui are known as horseclaws.

tumblr_m97ownrv861rqxmhvo1_500.gif

tumblr_m97ownrv861rqxmhvo2_500.gif

Thanks, John. The information on the box and instructions is almost entirely in Japanese, but I'm led to believe that the name of the kit is actually "Nausicaa with Horseclaw". I got Kai from the renamed Bandai release.

Kev

Definitely off the beaten path here. I've never seen any of the stuff you guys are talking about, but it all sounds interesting enough.

You've never seen a Miyazaki film, K2? For shame! Here's his info page on IMDb:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0594503/

And more specifically, the movie this little model is from:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Kev

I'm glad to see that others like Miyazaki's work, when I mention watching animated films to others I know I get these strange looks. I find his work to be a step above many other anime films in respect to the animation. Not CGI but more old school Disney style. Model looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing it in paint !

Miyazaki is a noted aviation buff.  Did you guys happen to catch The Wind Rises?

The-Wind-Rises-Final.jpg

It's a fictionalized story of Jiro Horikoshi, the man who designed the Zero fighter.  And yes, the Zero does make an appearance (albeit brief) in the film.

kazetachinu_081.jpg

Edited by Thunnus