MiG-29A missile and reference questions

ladder4boy

Thanks!

I saw some pics of his original MIG-29 and knew he was willing to do a similar kitbash but didn't know this MIG-29 ARC thread (I got access to his Russian blog many moons ago).

I cheated a little bit as up to now I did not try to correct the belly central section as he did. I'll probably leave it as such as this double curve won't be noticeable between the air intakes (more particulalry if the tank will be used). The cut I made in the Trumpy front lower fuselage to use Revell LERXes was far simpler (cut from left side to right side of the fuselage undersides just in front of the MLG wells BUT leave a central rectangle with the FLG well. Indeed, as the Trumpy FLG well is correctly shaped and positioned, this is the best solution. Otherwise, the approach was similar.

The first pictures of his thread show the awful steps on the upper fuselage (border of spine & engine humps) cast by Revell. They do not exist on the full scale airframe. This is why I did not use the full upper fuselage from Revell. Moreover, as the Trumpy wings are far better, it is easier to use lower and upper rear sections of Trumpeter kit with such wings. The complicated part is the cut. You've to measure ten times (and pray as many times!) to say the least! I cut the spine from the Trumpeter kit to keep left and right sections of the rear fuselage up to the LERX (perpendicular cut point is when the wing front edge starts). Then, you've to cut similar sections from the Revell kit. This is difficult because you've to make one foot long angled cuts (from engine exhaust to LERX end). Don't ask me how but I succeeded in having less than half-a millimeter of difference! Last but not least, this method has a major advantage: you correct the humps while keeping the correct Trumpeter panel lines!!! I also used the Trumpeter upper fuselage section to correct the canopy hinge area. This will allow the use of the Trumpeter canopy with the Revell windscreen. Indeed, a comparison of both canopies made me realizing that the Trumpy kit canopy looks quite correct for a 9-12 Fulcrum. This is odd as normally the 9-15 canopy is slightly more bulged in its rear section. However, as the Revell one if too flat, I think the Chinese part looks better.

Another recommendation: rely on the useless sections from one plane to re-inforce the parts of the other one. You'll save plastic card and this will be easier! For instance, I glued the cut sections of the Trumpeter LERXes and the nose against the Trumpeter rear belly section. This way, I could use low-setting glue to position correctly the Revell front section (over them) as I had a support under it.

I did the same with the upper fuselage. I retrieved the useless cut sections of Revell rear fuselage and glued them under the edge of Revell LERXes and spine. This way, I had a support to glue the Trumpeter engine hump sections with a combination of plastic tube glue, clamps and some spots of quick setting CA glue. The new upper and lower fuselage parts I got are very strong and this will be useful when I'll have the recreate correct panel and rivet lines.Obviously, this only makes sense with a metal landing gear as the kit becomes heavy...

Edited by thierry laurent

Yeah, I know! Currently, I take more pleasure to work with plastic than taking pictures!

Just have to find where I put the memory card of my Dynax, where I put the damned specific card reader to connect to the laptop, where I put the ad hoc battery loader and so on...

With a simple camera using sd card and AA batteries plus a laptop with an integrated sd reader, you do not have such problems...

I'll take some pictures as soon as I'll find a way to add Zacto intakes on the Trumpy kit and I'll have corrected the airbrake area (another mess from Revell).

Short update: The Zacto fuselage ends with the stab pivot points may not be used as such on the Trumpeter kit. I discovered that this area of the Revell kit is indeed a little bit less than 3mm thicker! More surgery...! However, even if I've to damage a little bit the exquisite engraved panel and rivet lines of the resin part to use it, the result wil be far better. Moreover, the plastic parts of both kits depicting this area have no engraved detail on the side, so... I won't really loose anything!

Obviously, Master just announced an exquisite pitot part whereas I just dedicated one full evening to correct most of the Trumpy metal one...

Edited by thierry laurent

Obviously, Master just announced an exquisite pitot part whereas I just dedicated one full evening to correct most of the Trumpy metal one...

Of course they did! And as soon as we all spend the better part of this year working on our mig problems, Tamiya will release one that will be perfect for half what it cost us to build ours! Murphy's law strikes again...Keep up the good work!

Cheers!

Jerry