1/32 Trumpeter A-10

SapperSix

Working on a new third party graphics server.  Once that's complete I will post some of the new updates and re post some of the old.

I really appreciate all the help and information.  The amount of information has been hard to digest.  Many of you had made my modeling experience worlds better....thank you.

Edited by SapperSix

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on many first time techniques.  In this case I wired my first engine.  Nothing as wonderful as many other builds on this page but I learned all the basics and am ready for the next project to really lay it on.  I bought some leaded wires and some other wire variants for the next project.  I will work very hard to get the landing gear bays for this project wired as close to spec as possible.

IMG_7923.jpg

The fan....Still not sure I like how it came out.  Might redo in a flatter color of black.

IMG_7924.jpg

Initial view of the GBU-8.  It has been slow going with the many different colors.  Almost done with the base colors.

IMG_7930.jpg

Munitions "farm".

IMG_7933.jpg

The wiring on the engine looks real good. Much better then my efforts. Of that I can assure you. Same for the fans on the engine. 

The GBU-8 is a complex series of colors for sure, and you're doing an excellent job of duplicating them. It's just slow process to completion. as for your dumb bomb farm, I just left mine with the Scooter. so I know just how tedious all that duplication can get to be.

Joel 

• 4 weeks later...

Well work has been continuing in a guerilla build fashion.  Hit and run as time has been scarce.  I have off over the next couple weeks and intend to do as much building as possible in between winter prep.

Its been all the little fiddly bits that have been going on and a fair amount of body work was needed for the nose gear section.  Some painting in the interior bays.  Although, I had to do a couple of coats of white I had to make a new batch that tried real hard to mess up some of the early coats. 

The refueling panel on the nose wasn't wanting to sit and fit very well.  I had contemplated rebuilding using some scratch items but decided this wasn't the kit...The rear cockpit deck and formation lights went on with out note.

IMG_8204.jpg

The nose gear section would not sit flush on the sides for all the effort put forth.  So in the end it required a fair amount of work to fill the gaps and match the panels.  It ended up sitting pretty good after a couple of fill and sand episodes.  The white paint around the landing gear bay was caused by my going from the Aircraft grey internal color of the A-10A to the white of the A-10C and forgetting about it until it was installed.  The paint went on great for the first coat.  On the second coat I had to make a new batch of paint causing some of the spattering you see.  Some light super fine sanding will take care of that. The first batch of white was great, but required at least two coats.  I left the second batch too thick and had to add more thinner after the spatter scenario.  Both sides had the scoops, rather vents, installed and all antenna's were installed.

IMG_8206.jpg

The rear formation light needs a little work as the super glue got a little crazy...get it...crazy...the glue got crazy...Oh how I crack myself up.  The engines went on fine but did require a little more seam fill than I would have hoped.  Still haven't decided if she is going to have both engine panels open or just one.  I am contemplating a re-fit scene on a good sized wood base to, hopefully, protect the model over time.  And truthfully if this aircraft is to test my model making ability it might as well be part of my first diorama.

IMG_8207.jpg

A closer look at the engine bay, side and wing panels.  The wing flaps and ailerons are working and will probably be left extended for the finish.

IMG_8208.jpg

And center rear...The aft of the plane went together very well.  The engine nacelle section to the body required a little work on all sides.  Lucky Mr Dissolved Putty was all that was needed.

IMG_8209.jpg

One last shot of the port front. Showing some pretty decent seem lines and fiddly bits.  Once again the glue on the formation light got a little out of wack.  I put this one on with out problem until I tried to re position it 1:1,000,000,000 on a inch.  Some attention should make it unnoticeable. 

IMG_8210.jpg

As I look to putting on the Ghost Grey camouflage, I am strongly considering the black base technique. 

Off to make more modeling fun.....

Edited by SapperSix

Your A-10 is  really starting to come together nicely. Some small issues to go back and correct like the CCA glue not doing it's job. Once primed, you'll get a much better idea of where  your build stands as to your concerns about fit. Looking forward to your next update. 

Joel

While spraying the flat black primer coat on my plane tonight I realized a few things.   I am sure many of you that have been doing 1/32 already well understand.  For instance, the amount of paint/mix required to cover the entire body of my 1/32 A-10 was much more than I had originally thought and far more than my armor or 1/48 projects.  The requirement for a well mixed paint is much greater, larger surface areas identify more mistakes/issues.  This makes body work issues jump out in a big way.  Having said that, the ability to make gradient colors on 1/32 projects is so much more...I see great opportunity in that fact. 

Before starting the black coat, I considered doing the black marbleizing technique using the flat black on the base color of the grey plastic as is.  I am not sure how much common sense is in this thought.... why should I paint it all black only to spray grey on it again using the black basing technique?  The thinking is it would save me a step.  I will give this more thought.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I also find I cant hand/brush paint missiles and bombs anymore.  So much more spraying at 1/32 to make it look right.  I will have to actually learn how to use my air brush. :coolio:

IMG_8255.jpg

IMG_8258.jpg

IMG_8259.jpg

Looking good!   Black primer can be very useful, and even MORE useful for lighter single overall color schemes.    For your first time on some of those techniques, you are doing an excellent job.   YES, also the first realization of how much paint and primer LSPs generally take can be eye opening for sure

Keep going! 

Looking good!   Black primer can be very useful, and even MORE useful for lighter single overall color schemes.    For your first time on some of those techniques, you are doing an excellent job.   YES, also the first realization of how much paint and primer LSPs generally take can be eye opening for sure

Keep going! 

Thank you very much for the kind words.  Admittedly I have been reading tons of stuff from the LSP forums and articles.  This site has been a real leap for me and I look forward to learning and doing more. 

AAHHHHHHH!!!!no...Oh how I hate the seam.......

And I almost freaked out thinking the seam on the interior of the canopy had to come out.  I am glad to see it is to remain....whew!!!

Still some work to do on the exterior.

IMG_8263.jpg

Time to get the fine sand paper out.....

Edited by SapperSix

Have you looked into the AFV Club Have Glass II replacement canopy?  Not sure if it fits the mark you're building here (I just am not familiar enough with the A-10 history).  But perhaps it would solve seam issues while adding an extra level of realism.

AFV Club 1/32 AC32004 A-10 Have Glass II Canopy with Anti Reflective Coating @ Sprue Brothers

Might be worth a peek anyway...

Hope that's helpful.

Have you looked into the AFV Club Have Glass II replacement canopy?  Not sure if it fits the mark you're building here (I just am not familiar enough with the A-10 history).  But perhaps it would solve seam issues while adding an extra level of realism.

AFV Club 1/32 AC32004 A-10 Have Glass II Canopy with Anti Reflective Coating @ Sprue Brothers

Might be worth a peek anyway...

Hope that's helpful.

Thank you ever so much for the heads up.  Frankly I have already spent to much on this kit and focusing funds on future builds. 

The good news is the Canopy has already been sanded and dipped in future.   Its drying and I think its looking pretty good.  I got the sanding tip from the tips and techniques section in the forum.  I am going to try to add that gold opaque look though...what the heck.  There is also a tips and techniques thread for that...I love the info and help on this site!!  I am learning tons!!

Line taken out of the main canopy and soaked in Future.  Looks pretty good and will show when the whole project is done as I am putting the masks on then on to the fuselage.

Ad hoc missiles more or less done minus straps and weathering...if any.  The decals that came with the kit were used and put on as per directions.  Although, I am pretty sure the color lines are messed up as I lost track of which color was witch number.  I don't mind in this case as the munitions are just practice on this A-10F....that would be my version made with what I have...  

IMG_8276.jpg

Landing gear getting set up for full wiring.  As this is my first ever attempt there is a fair amount of experimenting going on.  I saw the article in tips and techniques on super detailing landing gear.  Found out about CA and lead not working well together after working on flattening some lead wire to make the harness.  Then switched to a copper electrical tape that I have been holding on to for years. I will have to get some of the plumbers tape mentioned in the article. Clearly sizing and scale are still to be worked out.....

IMG_8274.jpg

Edited by SapperSix