HpH Tigercat

Tony T

Guest Vulcan32

If we talked about the trainer looking like a tucano, and the guy who was talking about this with Mirek was bald, and had a black backpack with a loviz lebanese patch and a ton of bags. Yup that was me! Why didn't you introduce yourself!!!! I also was with Jaroslav my very good friend who had the idea of me competing and spending a week here with him and his family, also met Miloslav. Did you compete??

I'm going to write a show report once i get back to doha too so many photos. How did you like the show?

Karim

I just realized it when I saw your avatar today. I was the blond, tattoed guy with the NASA t-shirt standing to your right. 

Unfortunately I have to say that I wasn´t that impressed by the show. The main reason for my visit was to meet my friends Jiri and Mirek and picking up all the stuff I ordered from them.

Heinz (virtual handshake)

I just realized it when I saw your avatar today. I was the blond, tattoed guy with the NASA t-shirt standing to your right.

Unfortunately I have to say that I wasn´t that impressed by the show. The main reason for my visit was to meet my friends Jiri and Mirek and picking up all the stuff I ordered from them.

Heinz (virtual handshake)

Heinz (virtual handshake back) i kind of vaguely remember because I mentioned the nasa tshirt to Jaroslav. The primary reason for my visit too was to spend time with Jaroslav and his family and see his little boy for the first time. Secondary reason was to start the international competing season for me which i close off in april at Moson. The lighting wasn't the best and the display hall was quite warm. They should have switched the halls around, display and vendors. But to be honest Eduard did a really good job with the organising. Last I'm reading in the Czech forums is there were 1256 models competing and 600+ on display in the SIGs and club tables. Anyways I won't hijack the tigercat thread. Promise you guys a show report which i am sure Heinz will agree to give his views of the show in, and maybe post some photos. Show report sometime around the 30th. Sorry for the hijack again

Karim

I just paid my order. 352€ S/H included. Well,  that's the most expensive kit i've paid so far excepted the Cat.

On the other hand, it's full option with highly detail resin cockpit, engine and weel wells, huge PE fret, fabric belts and so on... So it may be cheaper than a Hobbyboss P-61 or a HK B-25 with a ton of AM.

Edited by Zero77

Is the high asking price because it's a better quality kit than their previous twins or is it a case of "because we can"?

Generally, it's because of all the detail work that goes into their kits, in this case parr of it is to do fully detailed R2800s, a fully detailed CP, and if course all the accessories that normally have to buy, that come with it.

I got the kit last wednesday. It's cute. One wing strenghtening pin may be missing in my box, but i'm not sure as i havent unpacked it totally (and haven't check the instructions).

But the fuselage moulding is absolute awesome. The cockpit sidewalls (moulded in the fuselage sides) are Aires quality like.

I did not plan it, but now i have the kit in my hands i just wonder if it could not be my next build !

I've just checked the instructions, and the wing pin is not missing, actually there is only one, the other hole in each fuselage side is for a resin lug.

instructions :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B02eBUTK16wGakxtOUsyY1BEN28

Just for the information regarding the front gear leg and the pinned wheel issue, the supplied nose weight is very heavy. So any other way to correct the gear leg will have to be very strenght.

Edited by Zero77

I got the kit last wednesday. It's cute. One wing strenghtening pin may be missing in my box, but i'm not sure as i havent unpacked it totally (and haven't check the instructions).

But the fuselage moulding is absolute awesome. The cockpit sidewalls (moulded in the fuselage sides) are Aires quality like.

I did not plan it, but now i have the kit in my hands i just wonder if it could not be my next build !

I expect to get my kit in a few days

I will look forward to your build

Mark

Question: is this very heavy weigth fully necessary...? They probably went a little bit on the cautious side. Normally, the center of gravity is close to the rear of the plane. It was the same of the full scale plane that used to stay on the tail when the tanks were empty. To me, this means that most of the weight is normally supported by the main landing gear. So, I am a little bit surprised seeing so much weigth in the nose. Am I wrong?

Question: is this very heavy weigth fully necessary...? The probably went a little bit on the cautious side. Normally, the center of gravity is close to the rear of the plane. It was the same of the full scale plane that used to stay on the tail when the tanks were empty. To me, this means that most of the weight is normally supported by the main landing gear. So, I am a little bit surprised seeing so much weigth in the nose. Am I wrong?

Every T-cat model I have made up to this point has had to have a lot, LOT of nose weight to keep them on the nose gear.  My IM 1/48th F7F-3 fire bomber weighs more than my 1/32nd  resin FM&P September Fury. 

The CG for the F7F is also VERY effected by how much the MLG are canted forward. The CG should be further back than you would assume, but the gear is situated canted forward changing the GG forward, and making it more prone to tail sit. 

Generally I have found that on all my F7F models regardless of scale, the CG is right ahead of the MLG a bit behind the leading edge of the wings. This is not 100% accurate as its just a general local, with no dimensions since I made it after finding the 72nd scale model and 48th were roughly in the same ballpark re: CG:

F7F%20CG_1-M.png

The counter-weight in the nose needs to be moved forward as much as possible to compensate for the weight of the tail components that are far behind the MLG axis... Usually, the heavier parts of the real aircraft, i.e. engines and armament, bring this weight, but the volumetric density is more evenly distributed on kits.

But Thierry, you are right. The brunt of the kit's weight will be loaded on the MLG. Actually, if you manage a delicate balancing exercise (like the aircraft tipping on its tail with just the weight of a feather or a very gentle breath) the front gear will bear almost no weight at all (to the point that the brass-rod-in-wheel thingy could be dispensed with and the resin components kept as is)

Hubert

Just take into consideration the possibility of solid resin horizontal stabilizers, elevators, verticle stab, and rudder.

It DOES appear from the HpH F7F instructions, that they put the two nose counterweights pretty far forward. Page 7 of the PDF, or page one on the manual.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B02eBUTK16wGakxtOUsyY1BEN28/view

I fly large rc models and the Tigercat is the perfect example of the requirement for accurate CG, obviously its critical in real aircraft, and in a sense , more so on tricycle U/C such as modern navy jets etc, the reason, (one of) being that at relatively low speeds whilst on the ground ( Vr/V2) the elevator has to be easily able to rotate the aircraft about the main gear, the more weight on the nose leg, the more the aircraft will want to'leap' into the air, basically i would suggest that the correct CG on this lovely 32nd kit( am a sucker far anyything HPH) would require almost no finger pressure on the tip of the tail to have the model teetering on its main wheels

Cant wait to get one, hopefully pick one up at Telford

Question: is this very heavy weigth fully necessary...? They probably went a little bit on the cautious side. Normally, the center of gravity is close to the rear of the plane. It was the same of the full scale plane that used to stay on the tail when the tanks were empty. To me, this means that most of the weight is normally supported by the main landing gear. So, I am a little bit surprised seeing so much weigth in the nose. Am I wrong?

Thierry, just have a look at the instructions or even any picture of the aircraft and you'll see that the main landing gear is very forwards. And the fuselage is pretty long. So it's just a pure tail sitter, hence the heavy weight in the nose.

Just take into consideration the possibility of solid resin horizontal stabilizers, elevators, verticle stab, and rudder.

It DOES appear from the HpH F7F instructions, that they put the two nose counterweights pretty far forward. Page 7 of the PDF, or page one on the manual.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B02eBUTK16wGakxtOUsyY1BEN28/view

Indeed they cannot be more forward.

Edited by Zero77