What 109 to buy

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Kagemusha

Kagemusha

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:40 AM

ZM are doing the Fw 190 series, be nice if Tamiya didn't replicate them as with the Mustang.

#32 ade rowlands

ade rowlands

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:29 AM

You bring up a good point with the landing gear, it really is a problem on the Revell kit.  I've done three Revell 109s and the one I did with the kit landing broke and collapsed while sitting on the shelf.  The Brassin landing are nice but they cost almost as much as the kit itself.  I'm going to look into some way of possibly reinforcing the kit landing gear with some metal rod.  Almost $20 a pop for the Eduard gear every build is just unsat.

Yeah, the price was a factor in me getting them but reading how spindly the kit gear was got me decided to get some and I just bided my time and got some on sale for just a little over half price. Full retail I'd have thought harder about it. The fact I was in no hurry and was slowly building the stuff up for this project was a help too, infact the gear legs came before I got the kit. I'm pretty much there now, just need to find appropriate Luftwaffe style kill markings for the rudder of the scheme I want to do and some 'Udet' geschwader markings for the nose.

• Mikester likes this

#33 Artful69

Artful69

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:30 PM

ZM are doing the Fw 190 series, be nice if Tamiya didn't replicate them as with the Mustang.

Amen to that!! ... With Revell, Hasegawa ... and PCM kits still available around the place, one marque's super detailed kit will be suffice I think!

We have a reasonably accurate E ... Eduard (E1) ... plus Cyber Hobby's (E3 & 4)

Hasegawa's most recent iteration of the F2 & 4 are fairly good ... if not super detailed.

It's the G/K that no-one seems to be able to get right ... If Tamiya do a series of 109's in '32 - they might as well print their own currency.

Rog :)

#34 AdamR

AdamR

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:19 AM

For the sake of your sanity, a Hase kit is the easy choice for the reasons others have given. Hasegawa’s '109s are my choice because they are pure pleasure to build.

The flaws are minor, mostly. The dihedral is major but hardly noticeable. It would be nice if they included an engine, but if you like to build buttoned-up anyway, you’d just be paying extra for nothing.

"gut feeling"
Gastroenterologists agree the human gut contains no rational thoughts. What it is full of is pretty well known.

#35 mmaben

mmaben

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:35 AM

If Tamiya do a 109 it will be a G-6

carnac.jpg

• Troy Molitor likes this

I just like airplanes

Mike                        Smirnoffcat    RomanianG-2

#36 John Irwin

John Irwin

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:50 PM

Really have no use for a Tamiya G-6.  No interest / need for a superdetailed engine, cute little magnetic cowling fasteners, etc.   All of that will put the price well north of $100 US.   I liked Revell's approach in offering just a stripped down, no frills model for a quarter of the cost of a Tamiya kit.   They just sucked on the execution, which is still mind-blowing, given the plethora of resources out there to work with.  Can't fully slag Revell for crappy execution, Eduard wins the lifetime achievement award for botched G-6's.  

Still wish T would re-issue some of their 32nd kits, minus the engines, etc in order to get the price a bit more reasonable. 

• MikeC likes this

#37 Tony T

Tony T

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:39 PM

I like the Revell 109s I've seen with the Barracuda bulges and Henri Daene prop. I might get Brassin legs for my stash but four sets - aargh!
Metal rod seems a more cost-effective solution.

Tony
Finally spraying again

#38 nmayhew

nmayhew

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:35 PM

By the time you add all the extra stuff you’re at the cost of a Tamiya kit

I for one will take *any* 109 they choose to make
  • Troy Molitor likes this

#39 Artful69

Artful69

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

By the time you add all the extra stuff you’re at the cost of a Tamiya kit

I for one will take *any* 109 they choose to make

I'm in also! ... At least I'm 99.9% sure they'll be as close to error free as you're likely to get.

Rog :)

#40 Gerhard

Gerhard

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:07 PM

Amen brother. Now they must just do a FW 190 A8 as well

#41 ringleheim

ringleheim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:59 AM

Really have no use for a Tamiya G-6.  No interest / need for a superdetailed engine, cute little magnetic cowling fasteners, etc.   All of that will put the price well north of $100 US.   I liked Revell's approach in offering just a stripped down, no frills model for a quarter of the cost of a Tamiya kit.   They just sucked on the execution, which is still mind-blowing, given the plethora of resources out there to work with.  Can't fully slag Revell for crappy execution, Eduard wins the lifetime achievement award for botched G-6's.  

Still wish T would re-issue some of their 32nd kits, minus the engines, etc in order to get the price a bit more reasonable. 

These modern Tamiya kits are little jewels and I would love the full on Tamiya treatment with a Bf-109 of literally any type with as much detail packed in as Tamiya will give me.  Including cute little magnetic enclosures. 

If cheap, simplistic, flawed kits like Revell likes to make are your thing, that's cool.  They are out there and you can buy them.

That is not Tamiya's market and they are not trying to reach that buyer with these 1/32 releases.  They have chosen these kits to be a halo product of sorts for the brand, showing what they are capable of as a company.  

If you buy the Tamiya kits from Japanese sources on Ebay they really aren't prohibitively expensive, and certainly not north of $100 US.

I just checked with one of my go-to sellers on Ebay, Tokyo Hobby.  He has the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk. IXC right now for $69.50 US, and he will combine shipping costs if you buy multiple kits in one order.

• The Southern Bandit likes this

#42 Gazzas

Gazzas

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:54 AM

I would love to see Tamiya bring out a 109 that looks as good as their 1/32 Corsair.  Heck, I might even to something crazy like build one with the cowls open...

Gaz

• The Southern Bandit likes this

​We don't have social skills.  We build models.

#43 1to1scale

1to1scale

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:11 PM

Having built the Revell, but not the Hasegawa...I would tell you to go with Hasegawa and whatever Resin upgrades you need. The Revell cockpit is nice, maybe add a Yahu panel and a quickboost stick, and try to graft it into the Hasegawa kit? I am not happy with the exterior of the Revell, they chose some odd panel lines and assembly that don't correspond to the real aircraft. Having built other Hasegawa, I generally like assembling them better. 

idLkMXL.jpg

Edited by 1to1scale, 30 November 2017 - 04:33 PM.

• The Southern Bandit, mmaben and Gazzas like this

#44 GusM

GusM

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:12 PM

In the UK the problem with buying the Tamiya kits from Japanese sellers is you get hammered by Customs when it arrives. Tokyo Hobby et al are great sellers but Customs seem to be waiting for stuff from them.

I've never had anything from Japan escape charges, whereas some of the Chinese sellers never get hit.
  • nmayhew likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users