...thought i´d do some resin: Planet Models Yak-23 FINISHED

blackbetty

after a nights bath in dishwashing liquid, i dried the parts and started sanding the fuselage halves, intake, wing joints etc. i only sand wet, so i dont have a dust problem.

i pinned the wings and tailplanes to make it easier to glue them toghter

08_zpseyeaebb0.jpg

09_zpsjbrq185w.jpg

thereafter i started experimenting with primer. i used the carprimer from duplicolour -we will see how that works

• 1 month later...

after some time off i want to restart this thing. i realized puttying and sanding like plastic doesnt work here. i tried car putty, but no go. will try superglue with powder next. any other methods for filling gaps?

I like that method for resin myself. Im not sure of availability in EU, but I have found an excellent substitute for talc powder, that seems to work even better for gap filling:

Micro-balloons

sigmb001_350.jpg

Made of microscopic glass beads, it really lays in nice, and sands nice too. Its not nearly as "clumpy" as talc is, and makes most any CA easily sanded. 

• 2 weeks later...

long time no progress. i just didnt have motivation. every time i picked it up i ran ito some kind of obstacle. i tried to fill the seam on the wingtanks with different materials, but the results were less than stellar

but i started to find out what instrument faces go where, only to discover that the airscale decals are too big in size.maybe these are for different airplanes.will resize and print them.

10_zpsv9zgytt9.jpg

some work on the pit, did i metion that i hate macro?

11_zpsrrs9abgh.jpg

Nice job on the cockpit !

Why your putty did not work on the resin? Did you try some Mr. Surfacer, or Tamiya Putty? Never had any probem on resin with these products.

For the Microballoons, i tried some (but not the same than Brian's) and was a bit disappointed. It looked like very fine sand. Very easy to apply and set up with a bit of extra fluid CA, but very hard to sand and even harder to rescribe cleanly. Since then i prefer working with talc if necessary.

If you're looking for two component epoxy putty, you have a lot of nice products on the market. Milliput, Aves Apoxy Sculpt (my favourite, and it has a nice almond smell ! :) ), Magic Sculpt, Tamiya... They are usually workable with water, to you just have to use a wet finger to smooth it.