Hi-Def look at the He-115 in Norway

scvrobeson

http://vimeo.com/43561085

I was poking around the internet today and found this video about the raising of the He-115 in Norway. It's amazing how well-preserved this thing was, still retaining original paint and markings after 70 years. They're saying even the instruments are intact, and the nuts and bolts still come right off. I'm hoping that they can restore this thing after leaving it in the fresh-water tank for a couple of years, and we'll have one He-115 in the world.

I know Special Hobby is coming out with a 1/48 kit of this in the next few months, and I plan to buy one, but do we have any hope of one in 1/32? I know it would be big, but we did get a 1/32 Ju-88, He-111, B-25, Lancaster, B-17, and He-219, so maybe not outside the realm of possibility from someone like Revell or HK? And maybe someone can work on raising that Do-17 they found off England earlier in the year?

Matt :party0023:

Fantastic Matt, Thank you. I really like this aircraft (more than the He 111). I want one in 1/32, and if necessary, I will scratch build one if one does not become available in our scale (a very likely scenario) - especially so if a good set of plans becomes available (I can certainly see me buying the SH 1/48 kit as a reference for it).

Derek

wow!

The level of preservation right outta the water is amazing.

Although the flares might be expired...

Was that in salt or fresh water?

I imagine sea water, as they intend to immerse it in fresh water until all the salt is gone.

Incredible find, can't believe what amazing shape it is in. Are they going to restore it, or display it in that fresh water tank with the windows in it?

They plan to keep it in a fresh-water tank with windows for 2 to 3 years, to let all of the salt and silt flow out, and then they plan to restore it.

Matt

wow!

The level of preservation right outta the water is amazing.

Although the flares might be expired...

Was that in salt or fresh water?

It was in salt water. They're attributing the preservation to the fact it was deep in the Norwegian fjord, with a very low oxygen content, so it didn't eat away all of the paint and metal. Looks like only the fabric is gone, and the parts that were salvaged before it sank in 1942.

Matt

Fantastic Matt, Thank you. I really like this aircraft (more than the He 111). I want one in 1/32, and if necessary, I will scratch build one if one does not become available in our scale (a very likely scenario) - especially so if a good set of plans becomes available (I can certainly see me buying the SH 1/48 kit as a reference for it).

Derek

Me too Derek. I would love one of these in 1/32, but it would be pretty big. In 1/48, it's abut 57 feet long, with a 73 foot wingspan. So the Special Hobby kit will be pretty sizeable, and a 1/32 kit would be massive. But we'll see, maybe Revell or HK will bless us with one at some point. I know I would buy one if it came out, I'm already eagerly awaiting the 1/48 one.

Maybe if you scratch-build one, I will buy one from you.

Matt

Me too Derek. I would love one of these in 1/32, but it would be pretty big. In 1/48, it's abut 57 feet long, with a 73 foot wingspan. So the Special Hobby kit will be pretty sizeable, and a 1/32 kit would be massive. But we'll see, maybe Revell or HK will bless us with one at some point. I know I would buy one if it came out, I'm already eagerly awaiting the 1/48 one.

Maybe if you scratch-build one, I will buy one from you.

Matt

Matt, are you saying a 1/48 would be 57 ft long !!?? Man, 1/32 WOULD be huge LOL.........Harv

Matt, are you saying a 1/48 would be 57 ft long !!?? Man, 1/32 WOULD be huge LOL.........Harv

No, the real plane is 57 feet long Harv. :P It was a typo on my part. So in 1/32, the plane would be 21.375 inches long, with a 27.375 inch wingspan. So even bigger than the B-25, and about the same size as the He-111. But much taller than both because of the float arrangement. That would sure be an impressive plane, especially if someone put it in some sort of water diorama where they're doing an Air-Sea Rescue of a downed 109 pilot

Matt

Very interesting video, does anyone know its history, what happened to the aircraft and how did it end up at the bottom of that fjord?

And e.g. what happened to the crew?

J.