F-117A Nighthawk (channelling my inner scratch builder)

Uilleann

I'm open to suggestions Mike! :) One thing I can't stand is overdone weathering and washes. I think on the whole I'd like to depict this bird in her prime - and meticulously maintained. Even still, I know there would be signs of light wear from regular use un the pit.

How would you suggest a light but believable look be best achieved?

Thanks!!

B~

Edited by Uilleann

Guest Nigelr32

Hey Bri, that pit looks great!!

If you want to add some light wear and realism, may I suggest a wash of dark grey and a very light, light grey dry brush for starters?

I'm no expert, but I think the above will give what you're after..

I'm open to suggestions Mike! :) One thing I can't stand is overdone weathering and washes. I think on the whole I'd like to depict this bird in her prime - and meticulously maintained. Even still, I know there would be signs of light wear from regular use un the pit.

How would you suggest a light but believable look be best achieved?

Thanks!!

B~

Some jets like the 117 were very well takin care of, not like a F-4 on a carrier! I try to use pastels that are a tint or two darker that the pint color. I use a darker grey more than a black. It also gives the black panels a more subtle wash. After the grey wash sets a bit I'll go back in with a damp brush and cleen areas that got too much. Over washing can at times cover all the detail building and painting if your not careful.

Paul

Thanks guys for the replys!  PS69, I've spent a lot of time looking over that very page on the museum's 117...however, this was a pre-production test-bed, and was understandably beat to $#!*  :)  The wear shown there is far more than a typical service craft saw at the peak of their service.  A couple shots that show what I mean:

F-117cockpit_zps1cd2b4a1.jpg

and this standard reference:

F1171.jpg

And the huge sized version:  :)

Cockpit1.jpg

There is the some expected (but still very light) wear at the edges of the seat frame, and on the stick...but overall, the pit in these birds look to have been very well maintained yes?  I don't know if the wash will over do it?  Also, if I used enamels for the colors here, should I use acrylics for the wash?  Coat everything with Future first?  What's the best way to maintain what I've got done so far, and not ruin the underlying paint?

So many questions!  Thanks in advance!!

B~

Edited by Uilleann

Some jets like the 117 were very well takin care of, not like a F-4 on a carrier! I try to use pastels that are a tint or two darker that the pint color. I use a darker grey more than a black. It also gives the black panels a more subtle wash. After the grey wash sets a bit I'll go back in with a damp brush and cleen areas that got too much. Over washing can at times cover all the detail building and painting if your not careful.

Paul

Thanks for the tip Paul.  As I used 'Aircraft Interior Black' for the panels here, which is of course a very dark grey in reality...would the method you mention still show there?  I know I'd be able to pick out some on the lighter grey areas - though I want to keep that very subtle also.  As the darker wash would settle in the nooks and crannies, and enhance the illusion of depth and shadow - would a lighter colored wash do the opposite and flatten the appearance?  There also wasn't much wear and tear on the overall pit in reality, so I'm hesitant to do much with a silver dry brush or anything like that except in very limited spots.

One other issue I'm running into is with the seat.  The kit part fits beautifully (as it should) but the detail is atrocious.  I got the Quickboost set, which is a massive improvement in terms of detail and refinement.  However, it's far too narrow to fit properly in the kit rails!  It simply doesn't fit.  I am wondering - particularly with the very tight fit of the seat in the tub - if I can pull off a detailing of the kit seat to make it more believable?  Does anyone have experience with the "cloth/fabric" belt sets from HGW?

https://www.victorymodels.com/collections/model-aircraft-seatbelts/products/rb-productions-1-32-usaf-usn-seatbelts-white-rbp320082

I'm not sure if they would be 'authentic' for a late USAF bird or not, but perhaps close enough?  I certainly like their look.  I'm unaware of any other resin seat manufacturers that are currently producing a F-117A specific seat that fits the Trumpeter kit properly.  So improvisation may be the only way to get a proper fit?

Thoughts??

Cheers!

Edited by Uilleann

Bri, my suggestion is similar to Nigelr. Do a drak gray wash and don't go heavy on it as well and with light gray do very light dry brushing. Don't use a big/wide brush just small so you can control the about to dry brushing you want/need. ;)

Btw, yes they were taken care of very well, but they did see wear and tear with daily use. I just meat a F-117 pilot that was down here at Beale AFB getting training on Global hawk and from what I understand some of them were used very regularly and saw a lot of maintains. Make sure to look at a lot of photographs of the complete jet through out your build and it will answer a lot your question. :)

Edited by Youngtiger1

Thanks for the tip Paul. As I used 'Aircraft Interior Black' for the panels here, which is of course a very dark grey in reality...would the method you mention still show there? I know I'd be able to pick out some on the lighter grey areas - though I want to keep that very subtle also. As the darker wash would settle in the nooks and crannies, and enhance the illusion of depth and shadow - would a lighter colored wash do the opposite and flatten the appearance? There also wasn't much wear and tear on the overall pit in reality, so I'm hesitant to do much with a silver dry brush or anything like that except in very limited spots.

One other issue I'm running into is with the seat. The kit part fits beautifully (as it should) but the detail is atrocious. I got the Quickboost set, which is a massive improvement in terms of detail and refinement. However, it's far too narrow to fit properly in the kit rails! It simply doesn't fit. I am wondering - particularly with the very tight fit of the seat in the tub - if I can pull off a detailing of the kit seat to make it more believable? Does anyone have experience with the "cloth/fabric" belt sets from HGW?

http://www.victorymodels.com/1-32-hgw-seatbelts-for-usaa-us-navy-laser.html

I'm not sure if they would be 'authentic' for a late USAF bird or not, but perhaps close enough? I certainly like their look. I'm unaware of any other resin seat manufacturers that are currently producing a F-117A specific seat that fits the Trumpeter kit properly. So improvisation may be the only way to get a proper fit?

Thoughts??

Cheers!

Sometimes you get this problem with this seat, since the seat can really be used in several kits! I've never built the NightHawk so I couldn't really say what you can and can't get away with! Sometimes the kit seat is the best option and they can be detailed up with photo etch details or just with a good paint job! I use regular masking tape, doubled up with sticky sides together, cut to size with the brass buckels if you have, just cut the PE belt off. The tape will bend like the real thing.

Paul

Progress tonight has been limited to the cleaning up of the side panels, and some hard thinking about the kit seat vs. the QB flavor.  As I've been struggling with the smallish size of QuickBoost's offering (or just as likely the over-sizing of Trumpeter's cockpit, and ejection rail spacing), I couldn't get around the rather large gaps between the rollers on the seat back and the rails:

Kit seat - perfect fit, snug with rails:

kit-seat.jpg

Quickboost seat - huge-ish gaps, FAR too narrow for proper fit with the Trumpeter kit:

qb-seat.jpg

At the end of tonight's internal debate with my committee of one, I have come to the conclusion that the QB seat is just too well detailed not to use it.  I have given some thought to the possibility of perhaps adding some u channel brass on the insides of the rails to make up the gap, and at least give the impression - at a glance - that the seat fits properly.  It's the best solution I can come up with at this stage, or maybe even just strip styrene to fill the gaps even though it is technically nowhere close to accurate.

But, even with the fit issues (and before final paint, decals, placards, and any shading/weathering) it looks mighty good sitting there so far and is no comparison to the hunk of grey plastic the kit offers instead!  :coolio:

tub-qbseat.jpg

The wife gets home tomorrow, and then I believe it is going to be a very full weekend otherwise.  May not have time for much in the way of updates, but will post as I get a little done here and there.

Thanks again everyone for both the words of encouragement, and especially all the insight, tips, tricks and expertise!

Cheers

Bri~

Edited by Uilleann

Hi Bri,

It looks really good mate, and I can assure you that I had the same problem with mine as we have discussed. If it is any consolation, it does look better once the canopy actuation jacks and the canopy is installed.... sorta hides the problem. Also, will you notice it in a years time when you have a very imposing F-117 in the display cabinet rather than on the shelf of doom because you cant get past the problem?

Eric.

will you notice it in a years time when you have a very imposing F-117 in the display cabinet rather than on the shelf of doom because you cant get past the problem?

So, so true - well said that man!

I think we can all get too hung up on some of the little things from time to time...

Iain

Well you could try the Black box or the CE one for size it fits better! and it has also great detail! The CE is definitely the best aces II out there size and detail! Too bad it OOP :BANGHEAD2:

As far as the rest goes a job well done! I Have this one as well and hoping I can turn this behemoth, big huge plonk of plastic, in to something! I'm really looking forward to the way you're going to tackle the black paint!

Cheers

Fred

Edited by stusbke

One other option....for a seat Find the old tac scale/ cam seat....those seats were paterened after the seat...and were not set up to fit a kit. They tend to be larger than the other aces seats out there.

Nice job perhaps I will pick mine back up....

.Rob