Tamiya Spitfire Mk XVIe, Steps 47-51. Engine, firewall and frame.

Great result, Guy! Glad it worked out.

Kev

Thanks Kev, me too. I admit to feeling apprehensive before I started so you can imagine the relief when it worked.

Nice!!! Amazing results from spray cans!! Glad to hear it sprays over acrylic OK.

Don

Hi Don, thanks. I followed Peter's (Peterpools) advice as far as I could and sprayed a light(ish) coat first, let it dry then finished it off

Nice and smooth Guy!

The Tamiya spray cans have to be the best around.

Carl

Hi Carl, agreed. The Tamya sprays are marvellous. Incidentally, I recently came across another brand (Montana Gold) that sprayed beautifully but they are more hobby sprays than modelling sprays.

Nice...I can't seem to airbrush metallic paints without contaminating everything -- results like this is very promising!

I know exactly what you mean Shaka. It seems to take ages to rid the airbrush of tiny metal flakes. These spray cans do seem to offer a viable alternative.

That's a wonderful finish Guy, so glad it worked for you.

Max

Thanks Max. I can rest easy for a while at least. The next stumbling block is likely to be decals.

That looks really good, I only tried using a can once and it was a disaster despite the fact that I have used them all the time on bikes and cars.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Dennis, it is all too easy to over egg it with a spray can. The paint comes out very fast with little control so it's very easy to soak the model in paint. Fortunately, the Tamiya spray appears to be quite forgiving and if it is warm it settles well even if it's gone on thickly. I gently toast the model under a lamp as it dries to encourage it to lay flat.

Superb finish Guy, those Tamiya rattle cans give such a smooth finish!!    

Regards. Andy

Hi Andy, they certainly do. Probably a good job too in my hands.

To avoid letting the model sit on the edges of the radiator flaps I decided to fit the undercarriage so she could stand on her own.

To that end I followed steps 38 through 42.

The Tamiya gear legs look good as do their wheels. However, many reference photos show three spoked wheels on late Spitfires so as I showed earlier in this thread I treated myself to some resin parts from Barracuda studios.

I also replaced the rubber pipe that Tamiya provides with painted wire wire. I confess I was n't confident that the rubber would adhere very well so swapped it for peace of mind.

tn_Undercarriage%20011_zpsv9wanrto.jpg

tn_Undercarriage%20010_zpsco3w1ck2.jpg

tn_Undercarriage%20008_zpslednoew6.jpg

The tyres were given a coat of Citadel black spray primer then painted with shades of brown and grey. The effect is probably too subtle.

tn_Undercarriage%20014_zpsqhvlxrst.jpg

tn_Undercarriage%20013_zpsuk1bsayv.jpg

The gear legs are my custom mix for High Speed silver with details picked out in various acrylics. The Barracuda wheels are superbly detailled even down to the tyre valve which was picked out in yellow.

I painted the index marks on the wheel and tyre so that they were n't as uniform as a decal.

tn_Undercarriage%20006_zpswdohhjci.jpg

tn_Undercarriage%20004_zpsaak7mogi.jpg

tn_Undercarriage%20002_zps8oticsja.jpg

I'm excited to start the next steps as it's on to the engine. I've spent a while downloading images from Wolf's amazing Spitfire thread http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=32822&hl=

and Max has been kind enough to post some lovely close-ups in his new thread too http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=61161

so I have plenty of refence material to crib from.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Max, Harvey, Shaka and Richard. I really appreciate the generous comments but the truth is this is pretty much all Tamiya. It's such a pleasure to build these kits.

So, moving on we get to start the engine. If you've been watching any of the other superb Tamiya builds here in the GB or generally on LSP you will already know just how good the Tamiya Merlins are.

They are mini model kits in their own right and put simply, a joy to build.

I'm grateful to all of the guys who have taken the time to illustrate each step of the engine construction as it has been invaluable. Additionally, it is only when one begins to attempt to add the pipes wires and hoses that one gets a better appreciation of just how good those other engines are! Kudos people. You all have my utmost respect.

So here is how far I've got.

tn_Merlin%20001_zpsjh6xmbhv.jpg

tn_Merlin%20002_zpsbfybzllu.jpg

tn_Merlin%20003_zpsd1eob2oo.jpg

This is taking an age unfortunately and is sapping my enthusiasm a bit. I'm not sure how much more I'm going to add. One of the obstacles that I'm finding is satisfactory reference material. There are oodles of Merlin images on the net but, there are also oodles of Merlins.

Trying to sift through the millions of images to find a Mk66 Merlin to copy is proving almost impossible.

Consequently, I'll probably adda few more pipes and wires then move on.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

What you've done so far looks great Guy! It's certainly more than I've done with any of the Merlins in my builds and looks the part.

I know the CWHM Lancaster uses Packard Merlins so that might be a starting point if they have any pics.

I really will have to give it a go with one of my remaining kits.

Carl

The Merlin looks excellent Guy, general "busy-ness" is the way to go but don't get stuck down. I've found that just fitting the frames and of course exhausts obscures some of the wiring that I added so I think going overboard, whilst satisfying is perhaps a bit of a waste of effort.

Max

Guy, its been a bit remiss of me overlooking this thread. The work you have put in is outstanding. I did dabble with the idea of grabbing a tamiya kit for this GB but settled on the lesser Hobbyboss affair.

Although I was happy with the HB offering its clear the tamiya affair is head and shoulders above the rest. That with the added detailing you have thrown in so far makes this incredible. 

Keep up the good work. 

• 4 weeks later...