Kudos to Revell Germany! Re: P-51D-5

Astro32

I'm wondering if, by the time the D series came out, at least through the D-5, if OD / NG was still factory applied? I'd love to mine factory fresh with camo.

No. The use of factory-applied OD/NG ended in October of '43 during production of the P-51B/C. 

HTH,

D

I was going to pass on this kit and wait for the filleted tail of the later block Mustangs but with all the great reviews, I bit the bullet and picked one up the other day.  If it goes together like some of the other RoG Germany kits I've built, I'll be very happy.

I too was going to pass on this one and wait for a later variant but having seen a couple of builds here ongoing and some good reviews I decided to get one. I had bought the Eaglecals set featuring Glamourous Glennis for my Tamiya P-51 but had decided on a different scheme later on so I have the decals for Frenesi on hand plus spare nose checkers in case I come a cropper with either the kit set or Eagle set. Will now have an OD P-51 to go with the NMF Tamiya one when I actually get around to building them both.

Same same for both above.............as I picked up a neat set of decals for "SU SU" a resto filleted P-51 in shiny all over olive drab, and was going to wait for the filleted version from Revell. I think now Ill still hold off on SU SU for that forth coming Revell kit, and still go with my original intent of using custom masks I made for the fillet less Horses Itch.

Even though the kit may require some putty here and there, I think its safe to say for what you get its a hell-of-a bargain at the price point it seems to generally be at here in the US.

I also think Revell has significantly improved things like listening and engaging SMEs on the subject being produced, as well as their overall attention to detail, and instruction booklet (which is a HUGE improvement over what they used to give out!)

NOW, if we can just get Revell to stop using those @#$%ing side opening boxes!!!! 

A slight deviation from topic, but directly related to the build: M.M. #1715 Interior Green doesn't look right to me. I seem to remember the color is closer to FS 34079. What's in the jar looks too yellow & washed out to me.

Everyone should go buy a Revell Mustang, just so they get the message load and clear, YES, this is how we want the job done! Excellent research and design, great assembly, leave the nonsense interior stuff for the aftermarket guys, and keep the price down. Then I'll likely buy three, rather than umming and ahhing over buying even one. I still don't have a Tamiya Corsair or Spitfire IX for exactly this reason....

Everyone should go buy a Revell Mustang, just so they get the message load and clear, YES, this is how we want the job done! Excellent research and design, great assembly, leave the nonsense interior stuff for the aftermarket guys, and keep the price down. Then I'll likely buy three, rather than umming and ahhing over buying even one. I still don't have a Tamiya Corsair or Spitfire IX for exactly this reason....

I think we would if only they were available.