A Pattern of Tamiya's WWII Subjects

Uncarina

Where are the Russians?

This is a list that would mostly be generated by an American. I don't know if Tamiya will do a Russian plane, for example I think the IL-2 more significant and interesting the the JU-87 personally. I don't see Tamiya doing a Russian subject for a long time though. I believe there are worthy subject not found on the list provided and that are realistic.

My perspective is more about what subjects have mass market appeal and financial return. I could build almost anything TAmiya does from WWII in 1/32 simply because the subject will be well done and interesting.

I'm not big on USAAF subjects, but a P-38 would definitely get my interest.

I heard on another site one of those apocryphal stories that Tamiya would never do a P-38, since they were in the operation that shot down Admiral Yammamoto, who was supposedly a hero to Tamiya the elder. I mentioned this on the other site and a person said, "Oh yeah, i just made that one up."

WTH?? Oh well..consider the source.

So....I'm not sure if Tamiya would do one or not. However, its sort of like the F-14 Tomcat. Its geometrically complicated, nobody so far has achieved the right combination of great detail and stellar fit (booms, nose pieces etc.), and despite many other P-38 kits being out there, none make money for Tamiya.

The only real downsides i can see are....

1) It will be large. I don't know what kind of data there is on sales figures for the Mosquito so far so i don't know if they're ready to do another "Big" aeroplane.

2) Most of the late versions were bare metal. Many people are scared off by that, and i wonder if it affected sales of their P-51D.

3) Fairly limited number of countries that flew the P-38; United States, Nationalist China, Free French, Australia (early versions only) and i suspect a couple of Central American air forces. Not as broad usage as the P-51.

However, having said all that, you could say all of those things about the P-47 Thunderbolt..... and lotsa people think that's gonna be Tamiya's next release.

We won't really know til Tamiya makes an announcement. They do a great job at keeping things secret.

-d-

Wow, no P-47 in that book.. ;) Seriously, it did so much of the hard work before even the P-51B/C turned up it is not even funny... Not to mention how much had been done to the Luftwaffe before the bubbletop D´s showed up - of either 47 or 51..! But whatevr...  *avoid incoming massive flak barrage from the community*

The range thing to Berlin is no small think i guess..

Interesting original post by the way! Ooops. I sure look forward to whatever Tamiya decides to release in 1/32 next!

I'm not big on USAAF subjects, but a P-38 would definitely get my interest.

I heard on another site one of those apocryphal stories that Tamiya would never do a P-38, since they were in the operation that shot down Admiral Yammamoto, who was supposedly a hero to Tamiya the elder. I mentioned this on the other site and a person said, "Oh yeah, i just made that one up."

WTH?? Oh well..consider the source.

So....I'm not sure if Tamiya would do one or not. However, its sort of like the F-14 Tomcat. Its geometrically complicated, nobody so far has achieved the right combination of great detail and stellar fit (booms, nose pieces etc.), and despite many other P-38 kits being out there, none make money for Tamiya.

The only real downsides i can see are....

1) It will be large. I don't know what kind of data there is on sales figures for the Mosquito so far so i don't know if they're ready to do another "Big" aeroplane.

2) Most of the late versions were bare metal. Many people are scared off by that, and i wonder if it affected sales of their P-51D.

3) Fairly limited number of countries that flew the P-38; United States, Nationalist China, Free French, Australia (early versions only) and i suspect a couple of Central American air forces. Not as broad usage as the P-51.

However, having said all that, you could say all of those things about the P-47 Thunderbolt..... and lotsa people think that's gonna be Tamiya's next release.

We won't really know til Tamiya makes an announcement. They do a great job at keeping things secret.

-d-

Military

Australia

Republic of China

Dominican Republic

Free France

France

Honduras

Kingdom of Italy

Italy

Portugal

United Kingdom

United States

Civil

Colombia

This is a list that would mostly be generated by an American. I don't know if Tamiya will do a Russian plane, for example I think the IL-2 more significant and interesting the the JU-87 personally. I don't see Tamiya doing a Russian subject for a long time though. I believe there are worthy subject not found on the list provided and that are realistic.

My perspective is more about what subjects have mass market appeal and financial return. I could build almost anything TAmiya does from WWII in 1/32 simply because the subject will be well done and interesting.

I bet the book of great warplanes was published by an American company. Most, if not all, of that kind of books seem to be. The great planes are usually American too. Weird☺ï¸

Military

Australia

Republic of China

Dominican Republic

Free France

France

Honduras

Kingdom of Italy

Italy

Portugal

United Kingdom

United States

Civil

Colombia

Did not know about Italy or Portugal. Forgot the British had ordered the L-322 and were not exactly thrilled with them The British it seems were less than thrilled with the Ventura as well.

david

I would love to see Tamiya spread the 1/32 love around the world with subjects from all the main protagonists.

How about something Italian? French? Russia definitely deserves something...an IL-2 would be great. 

Tamiya is seemingly going with pretty obvious, famous choices that are ultimately pretty conservative.  

I'll be shocked if the next one is not a FW-190 or Bf-109.  I'd probably bet on the latter.

Guest Clunkmeister

The 190 and 109 have been kitted very well by a multitude of Companys.  A Tamiya version wouldn't really be a huge deal, as the Hase and Revell offerings are pretty much superb.

However, the F6F and P-38, of these, I can only dream. Both of those would make me stop WW1 for a bit and actually BUILD a Tamiya kit, probably more than one.

I'd do a serious happy jig for an F6F in 1/32, and I'd dang near dance nude on the White House Lawn for a P-38 in our scale. And I don't dance.

Edited by Clunkmeister

The 190 and 109 have been kitted very well by a multitude of Companys.  A Tamiya version wouldn't really be a huge deal, as the Hase and Revell offerings are pretty much superb.

However, the F6F and P-38, of these, I can only dream. Both of those would make me stop WW1 for a bit and actually BUILD a Tamiya kit, probably more than one.

I'd do a serious happy jig for an F6F in 1/32, and I'd dang near dance nude on the White House Lawn for a P-38 in our scale. And I don't dance.

You'd be dancing in the pokey soon after you tried on the White House lawn, especially "near nude". :party0023: :rofl:

Oh, and I'd be welcoming you because I'd be in for dancing in the same place for the F6F-3/5.

Edited by Juggernut