Thanks Mike. For what will eventually be seen I'm relatively satisfied with them.
Question for you: how do you stick the wires to the side walls? I've tried different glues but I struggle to do it without obvious mess.
Hi Jim. Good question. I've experimented with various glues but keep coming back to good old CA.
PVA does n't hold well enough to position the parts correctly, styrene adhesive only melts the plastic and makes a mess and clear glue (the type you might use to add glazing, lights etc.) remains sligtly tacky in my experience.
I tend to put a drop of thin CA onto a suitable dish of some kind (pringle lids are ideal) and use a thin piece of wire to apply just a tiny drop to the part I'm glueing. Occasionally I'll just dip the actual tip of the wire that I'm adding into the CA and fix it in place before adding a drop of glue at the other end. It only takes a second or two to catch and then it can be left alone. I don't use kicker/accelerator as I've rarely found a need to do that. As you're probably already aware, less is more with CA so just a tiny drop gives enough strength for these non-load bearing bits.
To begin the paintwork on the main wings I primed everything in white fromGames Workshop. This gave a smooth uniform background for the top colours.
The leading edge is bare metal and I used acrylic shades for this. I found some bottles similar to Valejo in style but with pigment much like GW paints, nice and fine. I used the three silver grey shades to get the effect I wanted.
The underside was given a coat of Valejo light grey blue then the topcoat was Valejo again, this time pale blue grey. A guy called Rraab on ARC put me on to these shades many moons ago and I liked the way they looked.
I used some Xtracrylic medium grey (supposedly the correct shade for the upper surfaces...) to add some variance before wetting the surface and sprinkling on some salt.
This is a popular technique and gives a fair representation of weathered Navy aircraft. Once the salt had dried I could lightly spray the top colour.
The net result is a typically blotchy effect that makes a good base for the remainder of the weathering.
Tomorrow I hope to add a coat of future and the decals before sealing everything up so that I can add the pastel grime and streaks. I have to admit that I've had fun today. This is probably the bit I enjoy most.
Edited by geedubelyer, 04 March 2018 - 01:59 PM.