Sukhoi SU-30 MKK

Out2gtcha

Nice to see you building something of a decent size Comrade instead of those teeny weeny 1/32 fighter jobbies! :ph34r:

I'll be watching and so will my friend. He just loves anything Russian :wicked:

PattonKwaad_sm.jpg

Wow! All that extra fun stuff!

You sure are right about the size--I still remember opening the box to my SU-27 and going "whoa..."

Great stuff!

Tim W.

Thanks guys. :D Im working on the front office(s) as I type, so pics to follow in the early AM before I go to bed. :D

About time too!

Oh, BTW I just had a closer look at your opening pictures.

That yellowish thing on the left side of your mat looks like strip cheese.

I also noticed FOUR stencil sheets! :evil_laugh:

I'm not religious but I think you need to ask for a bit of help from the man "upstairs" or its a straightjacket for you! :blowup:

P

About time too!

Oh, BTW I just had a closer look at your opening pictures.

That yellowish thing on the left side of your mat looks like strip cheese.

DING! Yeah was bloody hungery! And as Doug pointed out, almost looked like one of Chris's seamless intakes!

I also noticed FOUR stencil sheets! :evil_laugh: Yeah, I accidentally left one out. :(

I'm not religious but I think you need to ask for a bit of help from the man "upstairs" or its a straightjacket for you! :blowup:

YES already have *PRAYS*

P

Ok, time for an update on this beast......

I started things off like I usually do, with what I do best (I think anyway) and what I like, the interior/front office(s)

This Flanker has a lot going on in the pits and I wanted this build to be interesting and eye catching the moment you looked in the cockpit. What Im doing here is a combination of what the OOB interior and resin is giving me, and documentation from the research and pics Ive seen......most of those showing a pretty beat up, wire strewn and dirty thing. The rest is just wiring I put in that I thought looked good where its at. :lol:

I started off by chopping some required things out of the base cockpit tub to get the Eduard PE, and QuickBoost seats in. I then moved on to do a bit of busy work with wiring and what not:

LSP_SU30_WIP_11.jpg

You can see some of the detail in the BEAUTIFUL QB seats here as well -

LSP_SU30_WIP_21.jpg

I used a combination of lead wire of varying thicknesses, and CAT VI computer cable that has multiple solid core individually insulated wires in it -

LSP_SU30_WIP_17.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_16.jpg

The QB seats are lovely but as you can see here, several pieces were broken off on the long flight from Hannants to my door, of which I had to replace using card stock, and round stock. Here I also chopped up some of the QB resin pieces and spliced in some stainless steel tubing -

LSP_SU30_WIP_14.jpg

I started delving into how I wanted to handle the Eduard PE IP. I know (in MHO anyway) they actually did a great job here, I just needed a way to represent the glass, and wanted to look at something else other than Eduards "green screen" you would see showing on the digital displays.

So.........I got out the printer and scaled up, and printed out some SU-30 pilot and RIO digital display read outs.

Not the best of pics here sorry, but you get the ideeer -

LSP_SU30_WIP_22.jpg

More in a min....

After I scaled up (or actually down in this case cause the original pics were HUGE tg) the digital displays, I set to work on the Eduard PE, IPs and getting some sort of representation of glass on the 4 fairly large displays.

Normally with Eduards IPs, I take a toothpick and dab a tiny spot of Future in each instrument bezel, let the IP dry for a few days so the gap between the PE doesn't soak in the Future, and then re-coat each bezel so it looks more like glass.

In this case with the size of each of the displays, that was NOT going to work.

This is what I came up with......I used the cellophane out of a soft CD case -

LSP_SU30_WIP_24.jpg

Then, removed it from the paper frame, and coated it with a layer of Future -

LSP_SU30_WIP_26.jpg

Then after everything had dried, I taped it taught and flush to a flat surface; in this case the piece of tile I use to cut foil -

LSP_SU30_WIP_25.jpg

I then cut out the top, colored part of the Eduard IP off its PE sprue, and coated the back with extra tacky foil glue. Once dry, I placed it on the taught cellophane -

From there, I just cut around the IP and..............................

Ta-da!

Glass!

LSP_SU30_WIP_27.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_18.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_20.jpg

Got teh extra wiring almost done, and molded document holders sanded free, and PE ones added. (later to be added with mini maps, and pilots log book).

LSP_SU30_WIP_15.jpg

MUCH more left to do on this pit, but Tiz all for now.........off to bed, then probably a bit more work on her before I go to work.

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I almost forgot (because Roberta E-mailed me and indicated the casters were out, but they'd have a fresh shipment of them in a week or two ) I ordered a set of MasterCasters great resin wheel sets -

MST32048_500.jpg

More pics in a bit…….got some progress done on the pit…

Brian

I've seen the SU-27s, SU-27UBs, SU-30s with all varying shades of bluish violets, to bright blues, (just none in the old Mig 21 type yucky Russian Blue/Green interior color thankfully), so I decided to mix my own color up.

With this being said, I wanted to keep the sidewalls (OTHER than the shadowing, and highlighting that is) , interior, IP, and side consoles all in the same shade, as this seems to be a constant on the Flankers no matter what overall shade is used. I mixed up a color that I thought was close to the color Eduard came up with on their PE IP – Kind of a light blue-ish violet color. It's a combination of MM Flanker medium blue, mixed with a dash of flat white, and a few drops of Russian marker red.

Got the interior sprayed overall with this mix, then sprayed on the shadow/lowlights with a mix of MM flat black thinned to a 10% / 90% paint to thinner ratio. Then dry-brushed on highlights using a mix of the same interior color lighted again with flat white –

LSP_SU30_WIP_31.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_33.jpg

I also got the fuse interior spayed with the interior color after adding the throttles, and various PE cockpit sidewall parts –

LSP_SU30_WIP_32.jpg

I got the control stick painted and picked out. Still have a messy demark on the boot for the control stick but I'll clean that up before putting on the wash and highlights –

LSP_SU30_WIP_29.jpg

LSP_SU30_WIP_30.jpg

Lastly here, I got a base coat of black (mixed with the tiniest bit of grey to get a kind of "tyre black") on the seats and arm rests. Will be dry brushing these with aluminum, picking out details, and using a light dirt wash on them –

LSP_SU30_WIP_34.jpg

I also shot this same "tyre black" color on the head rests, but mixed in a bit more white and re-sprayed just the top only (as in the angle that the sun would hit) to recreate some fading as the head-rests stick up quite high and proud in the glass cockpit. Kind of hard to pick up on in these pics though –

LSP_SU30_WIP_28.jpg

Thanks for stopping in on me gents.

Cheers,

Brian

This is just great! Looks the part very well. I'm glad your ahead of me, so I can steal your ideas!....harv :speak_cool:

Thanks Harv. :D No prob on taking any ideas.........im just flying by the seat of my pants anyway. No real plan to speak of. :lol:

Brian