Rhino A-6A/E INTRUDER SEAMLESS INTAKE SET for TRUMPETER

Kagemusha

That's an AGM-78...

Yes, we know that Vitali (which is why I mentioned it, and the likely sub marks, if you read what I wrote above) but we're talking about the antennae that protrude from the front of the outer underwing pylons: AN/ALQ-100 DECM transmitters.

BTW Gary of GT Resin has ARM stuff in the pipeline AFAIK

HTH

Tony

Yes, we know that Vitali (which is why I mentioned it, and the likely sub marks, if you read what I wrote above) but we're talking about the antennae that protrude from the front of the outer underwing pylons: AN/ALQ-100 DECM transmitters.

BTW Gary of GT Resin has ARM stuff in the pipeline AFAIK

HTH

Tony

Sorry, my mistake, AGM-78, Standard Arm etc. Engaged fingers before brain! Is it possible the A-6B had slightly different antenna on the pylon than the A-6A due to the different electronic fit ?

Edited by Vitali

The A-6B PAT/ARM (top photo) was no different from a stock A-6A in terms of antenna fit. The PAT/ARM used the wide band seekers in the STD ARM missiles to tune into threats, whereas the DECM poles was jamming gear.

My own A-6B is going to be the VA-52 PAT/ARM from the Zotz sheet, on USS Kitty Hawk in 1972.

The A-6B Mod 0/1 (lower photo) had a bunch of new antennae but the same active jamming DECM as the A-6A ca.1968-73. It did lose its search/tracking radar (keeping just the ground mapping one) so if built ought to be done with the radome shut.

The other change was the shift away from interior green in the engine bay and wing folds to white. Don't know which BuNo that began with or whether it was just a depot overhaul thing, but it's worth remembering if doing a sixties era jet.

Tony

Edited by Tony T

I bought some Rhino Navy Phantom inlets on eBay which feature lovely compressor face (and bellmouth ring) details.

As for the A-7 correction possibilities Alistair of Studio 27 is looking at the concept, with clear resin canopy parts. Totally new approach by all accounts, if he does it, so it's filling a market void with new parts.

TBH, Chris Wilson / Zactomodels seems to have gone into hibernation. Not getting canopies done to continue his now OOP but formerly best-selling A-7 set is indicative of loss of interest ~ ditto with the Su-27 canopy set, which I missed.

Back to A-6s, just remember there very often *is* a lip where the J52 turbofan engine gets stuffed into the back of the Intruder's inlet.

I'm not convinced that seamless is accurate, but I do like the compressor face - the A-6 kit etched brass disc blades IMHO look naff.

Tony

I bought some Rhino Navy Phantom inlets on eBay which feature lovely compressor face (and bellmouth ring) details.

As for the A-7 correction possibilities Alistair of Studio 27 is looking at the concept, with clear resin canopy parts. Totally new approach by all accounts, if he does it, so it's filling a market void with new parts.

TBH, Chris Wilson / Zactomodels seems to have gone into hibernation. Not getting canopies done to continue his now OOP but formerly best-selling A-7 set is indicative of loss of interest ~ ditto with the Su-27 canopy set, which I missed.

Back to A-6s, just remember there very often *is* a lip where the J52 turbofan engine gets stuffed into the back of the Intruder's inlet.

I'm not convinced that seamless is accurate, but I do like the compressor face - the A-6 kit etched brass disc blades IMHO look naff.

Tony

The 1/48 scale set I did is cast in two parts with the contoured section and the short tube being the split, just like the real thing. I was slammed big time on another small scale site for calling them "seamless". They thought they should be cast in one piece without a seam. I posted the photo of the real thing, and no one made another comment.

Edited by Harold

Never saw that because it's not my scale, but any chance of scaling the 1/48 two-part AMS inlets up to 1/32 Harold ? And giving us a link to said site to see the smaller bits ?

The pic I posted in the #6 entry on page 1 was taken looking down an A-6E inlet on the Yorktown in Charleston, a museum carrier, and for a while I was wondering if that was a quirk of an out-of-service jet until stumbling into other pics. It was really like that.

Tony

Never saw that because it's not my scale, but any chance of scaling the 1/48 two-part AMS inlets up to 1/32 Harold ? And giving us a link to said site to see the smaller bits ?

The pic I posted in the #6 entry on page 1 was taken looking down an A-6E inlet on the Yorktown in Charleston, a museum carrier, and for a while I was wondering if that was a quirk of an out-of-service jet until stumbling into other pics. It was really like that.

Tony

I have seen several other airframes with the same "seam". I shot a photo of one at the West Coast Museum several years ago. It had the same as the others I have seen.

Kage - nice find...and as others have expressed, it's good to see additional "aftermarket love" for the big Intruder.

Vitali - Yes, please share with us your findings when your set arrives, as it's hard to appraise from just the one photo provided on the ebay ad. I'm curious as to how they address the engine compressor shroud discontinuity that Tony's photo points out.

Harold - As to the reception of your quarter scale Intruder intakes...what can we say, other than sometimes you're just too good ! :unsure:

As far as using the kit provided parts, achieving a seamless intake is not too difficult, as these things go. The parts fit together well, there are no ejector pin marks or other blemishes to erase, and because the duct is open on both ends and not too deep, it's easy enough to address the seam with some filler and a dowel shaped sanding tool...

image_zpswfld2tbm.jpeg

Our own Petrov27 took this approach in his A-6A build http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=45170&page=7 while also cleverly engineering a better fit for the engine casing.

If you're looking to enhance the engine stator/compressor face assembly, Profimodeller produce this photo-etch set http://www.profimodeller.com/detail/p32188-a-6a-external-details/.

Rich

Edited by allthumbs

Hmm. Still would prefer an AMS rear insert of J52 - perhaps as ring and then stator/compressor face behind, as two sep parts for ease of painting.

Front end could be be filled and sanded as illustrated.

As I've hinted before, when did engine bays and wing folds go from interior green to white ?

Tony

BTW, is there anybody who has tried the F/A-18A/B/C/D engines? I have several Hornet kits in need of nice engine nozzle, and at the moment i only have the Aires set, which is known to be underscaled. So a feedback about the Rhino set would be highly interesting.

BTW, is there anybody who has tried the F/A-18A/B/C/D engines? I have several Hornet kits in need of nice engine nozzle, and at the moment i only have the Aires set, which is known to be underscaled. So a feedback about the Rhino set would be highly interesting.

The Rhino Hornet exhausts are fine. Not undersized like the Aires sets.