H-13H in UN Service

Dukie99

Hi there and Happy New Year.

Although I have never built a civilian subject, I wanted to participate to this GB. I did some research to see if any of the models I have in the stash could be used for this GB since I did not want to buy another new kit. I have a Revell 1/35 H-13H helo in the stash and thought that maybe it saw some use with the UN on some peacekeeping observation. That was a good intuition: H-13H were used in the UNOGIL operation in 1956 in Lebanon. The following three shots will be my inspiration:

Unogil2_zpsnagwmbbc.jpg

Unogil_zpsmygwrxa3.jpg

Unogil3_zps2nhal5zv.jpg

Here is the obligatory Box shot. It will be built OOB except for the UN decals from Kingfisher and some etched belts which are in transit.

H-13H_zpsddcjmg5b.jpg

The kit is fairly basic but the engine seemed nicely details and I hope that with some different shades of Alclad it will make a nice contrast with the UN white.

I hope to get started over the week-end.

Cheerio,

David

Hi David,

This looks like a great project. I'm old enough to remember seeing 'copters similar to this in "M.A.S.H" and "Skippy the bush kangaroo" so I've always had a soft spot in my heart for this little Bell.

Eager to see you start on this.

Cheers

Hi Guys,

Thank you for dropping by. Very little progress to show, I spent a good part of my modelling time this week-end cleaning up the parts. The kit is not bad but there is a lot of seam lines to clean and a bit of flash. I have assembled the tail section and the skids and it looks like a tail sitter:

H13_zpsnphy2qvc.jpg

I have therefore attempted to fill some of the pieces ahead of the rotor with micro steel balls mixed with PVA glue, such as the IP panel, to counterbalance the wheight of the tail:

IPcolumn_zpsqbdz0zr2.jpg

I have also filled part of the engine and the gas tanks with the same mix and hopefully she will stay square.

I have been wondering about the interior colors since you do not see much on the above period picture. Since H-13 in Unogil were flown by the Italian and the Norwegian, I have scoured the web to find pictures of Italian H-13 and found this, which will serve as inspiration for the interior color:

Italianh13.2_zps9zuesgnl.jpg

The interior seems to be either NMF or painted aluminum and the seats are either black or a very dark blue, with tan seatbelts. Hopefully I will make some progress during the week.

Thank you for following this build.

David

Hi David,

I can imagine seam clean up took quite a while given all of those round section webs and spars. It's worth it though as the boom section looks superb. Nice work.

I shall keep my fingers crossed that you can balance out the weight.

Cheers.

Hi Guys, thanks for the nice comment. Made some progress over the week. With a helo like this you cannot assemble everything and then paint because masking would be impossible, so I started painting and this where I stand now. Painted the structure UN white and the engine in various share of Alclad. The skids have been painted Nato Black. The cabin is just dried fitted for now and the good news is that it balances nicely. I need to finish adding the various pieces to the engine and there is quite a bit to do but I am happy with how it turns out. I have not yet checked the fit of the glass with the cabin and I hope I will not have nasty surprise there, but I will see to that over the week-end.

fuse%20and%20engine_zpsh2djpwuq.jpg

cabine_zpsont1tbzv.jpg

till next time. Thank you for following this build.

David