Help with the new Revell early P-51D

quang

Guys,

I'm building the new Revell Mustang (like everyone 🤓) and am enjoying it so far until...

...a few days ago I lost the after-deck part to the carpet monster.

I've sent Revell a request for a replacement but I don't count too much on it. So I decided to replicate it in plasticard. Looks like it's not too complicated to do.

10771665_EE59_40_E6_88_B3_A1_C89482_CB77

90510002_5_EDF_4_DC0_AD55_19304_EB44_FE3

But then I need to understand what I'm trying to replicate, details like the part in silver and the engraved semi-circle ...

Can you, Mustang experts inform me so that I could go on with my build?

Thank you all

Quang

Quang,

I just ordered some parts from Revell. It took about a week until response. After money transfer (I ordered some more...) it took a few days to get my order.

Regarding your question: I´m sorry, can´t help.

Cheers - Reimund

Its the canopy rail, there will be a fitting on the canopy that slots into it and runs along it. In real life one would imagine it will be greased up. The canopy will be mounted on the 2  rails at the front you can see and at the centre rear allowing the canopy to be slid back, it will have a stop on it probably on the front tracks to prevent it leaving the rails, when jettisoned the lever will allow those stops to be retracted and the canopy to slide aft off the rails, airflow will do the rest.

You can see the raised front tracks that stop at the armoured seatback. The vertical plate crossing behind the radios is probably a bulkhead with a seal on it to prevent water ingress into the radio gear and to seal the cockpit canopy better from draughts etc.

Edited by TonyT

Thank you Tony. That's what I wanted to know. The vertical plate behind the radios appears to be made of some flexible material (rubber?( thus vindicates your idea of a seal.

Interesting pics there of the area behind the pilot - anyone know if that (leather?) pouch deal on the back of the headrest was standard? Also I see the top of the (battery?) overflow bottle - never seen a good shot of that other than the top of it - anyone have a better pic of what that thing looks like?

Doing a great job on the Mustang - but that's a fairly largish piece to lose in the carpet?

As has been said, Revell are pretty good & will send you a replacement reasonably quickly. I'd be on my hands & knees, looking. Although the last time I did this, I found the piece 2-3 days later, still attached to the sprue.