MY SCRATCH BUILT 1:20 SCALE B17G...phase 2

fozzy

Hi there

So I was about to start work on the bomb bay after completing the wing roots on the front section and once again the old niggling feeling of how am I going to display this B17G reared its ugly head!

I needed to know because it was holding me up with the decision of whether to have the bomb bay doors closed or open ...I wanted them to be open but it meant that the whole bomb bay would have to be elevated  on some sort of display stand which in turn meant that the front end would have to be raised as well to match!

..........it was no good I had to do something about it.

...and so I racked my brains for a few days...made a few drawings...  took a few measurements and started to design some sort of frame work that would be... A. strong enough to hold the model and ...B. not look out of place!

..and so I came up with this idea of a kind of piece of equipment you would see in a hangar.

The first photo shows the complete construction before the paint is applied. To make it strong and rigid  I designed part of the load bearing parts from balsa with super glued plastic over the top.....

lk%20002_zpssav3bbez.jpg

I then had to decide what colour it should be painted....my choices were black /blue/or yellow ...I went with a Lemon yellow in the end as I thought it might look more like hangar equipment!

uy%20002_zps7w3g3lkg.jpg

uy%20004_zpshj9u512c.jpg

So it was now time to get the B17 up onto its stand!.....I am very pleased with the fact that it is very stable and can be taken on or off of the stand!....here are some photos to show off the finished article.....

qw%20001_zps8fh4flcj.jpg

qw%20011_zpsj3lsdmxk.jpg

qw%20012_zpszl38usor.jpg

......continued on next post!

qw%20004_zps5b3hb3ss.jpg

qw%20005_zpsahi9jr0p.jpg

qw%20006_zpsbovgd3p2.jpg

qw%20009_zpsy8hooje5.jpg

qw%20007_zpsvfkppyem.jpg

qw%20008_zpsslbrmqsx.jpg

I cannot explain how happy and relieved I am that I have over come this niggley problem!

In theory all I will have to do now is to make more of these stands for the other sections and just slide them into position behind each other leaving a gap so that you can see into the fuselage!...well that's the plan!default_wink.png

Right then ...now I can really get on and finish the bomb bay!

Cheers

( A very happy Fozzy)

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon chaps

So after making the stand for the front end of this B17G  it was back to the bomb bay trying to get it finished.

I decided to get the bomb bay skinned with the finished aluminum look ...,before continuing with the rest of the detail...I think this is the best way forward as there is a lot of handling involved in applying the aluminum sheets which might destroy all the detail which I need to build on the wing roots....so it was down to business.default_smile.png

The first job was to mark up all the rivet lines where the skin is going to cover.......

qw%20005_zpsxuzvputz.jpg

qw%20004_zpsyo0z6vmc.jpg

Next up I made a template out of card and placed it on the fuselage sides in the area I wanted to cover...I then marked that piece of card with the rivet lines and then transferred it onto the alu sheet and cut out the panel.The rivet lines had to be then marked up on the alu sheet ready for punching.

This next photo shows me using a handy little tool I made out of a piece of model kit sprue and a sewing pin ....all I did was add a slight bit of pressure into the sheet along the marked out rivet lines....on the reverse side of course!

vc_zpsbpjo6wzq.jpg

Here is one of the panels completed showing the template and the little punch tool....

ht%20003_zpsdi0yc1xc.jpg

The next 3 photos show the panels fitted.........

ht%20013-crop_zpszesbgsgc.jpg

ht%20014_zpskwul4pbw.jpg

vv%20001_zpsaijlpuuy.jpg

okay.....so this next photo shows the wing root area which I need to detail on both sides ,which will be the next job along with the bomb bay doors.......

ht%20007_zpsget5bfic.jpg

That's all for now folks!

Only a few more posts left and then section 2 of this build will be finished!default_whistle.gif...only another 2 or 3 sections to go!!!

Thanks for looking in

Fozzy

what sort of metal are you using? Is it litho like what most of us are using?

Cheers,

Craig

Hi Craig....I am using alu tape which a friend has donated to me...I believe they use it to make repairs on certain aircraft parts!

Cheers..Fozzy

OK, I'm eating yogurt at an industrial rate to start a project of my own....of what, I don't know.  This is inspiring sir, you are a genius at the scratch building medium.  looking forward to watching this as it grows..... :popcorn:

Edited by Dan Paxton

Unbelievable! :(

Since I last posted this is all I have had time to do on the continuation of this B17G bomb bay!..............

vv%20001_zpseownrfkt.jpg

....can you guess what it is?default_hmmm.gif

I have got a hunch that I am not going to be able to do any more to this project for a few weeks!..what with family commitments etc...you know how it is!....but if I do it will be pains takenly slow!default_pipe.gif

I'll be back as soon as I can

Fozzy