1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

Ok, that's just unfair ... I get that you can do all the modelling which is better than any of us mortals, and all that ... but that you can do the sanding without getting dust in the cockpit, without masking ... that's just unfair.

Great work by the way ...

Jim

Between your legs..sanding..airbrush...is there no end to your skills? :)

Ok....he's not really doing it.

He had contact a few years back from space aliens visiting earth, and in addition to being "probed" he acquired some of their advanced technology.  That's what it is.

You heard it here first....remember that.

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Nothing like spending hours sanding and enjoying the view as the putty is thinned out. I've found that the best way to hold down the dust to nearly zero and prevent the skin from being scratched, is wet sanding. Works like a treat (sure hope that's the correct usage on your side of the pond), keeps the plastic and filler cool and eats up the dust, all the while while lubricating the surface and preventing scratches. Cleans up is a bit  longer in the end but, well worth the extra work.

Awesome progress as always

Keep 'em coming

Peter

evening folks :)

thanks for dropping by and leaving me words of encouragement :)

..it's a long weekend so I got a chance to get to the bench between what seemed a very long list of chores...

..I was going to add some litho to represent the camera lens window in the hatch behind the cockpit, but the more I compared pics, the more I thought a more simple approach was needed. First take a look at the hatch / window area:

..I scaled a pic of TZ138 and overlaid it with scaled monforton drawings of the XVI - you can see the hatch is in a different position in the top pic - it also usefully gave the diameter of the roundel which sits on the window lens..

..beneath that are a pic of the Thai XVI where an optically flat window can be seen - TZ138 does not seem to have that (which was handy as its more work)as can be seen in the next two pics - the window looks the same profile as the fuselage...

WIP1259_zpsli1f1cr0.jpg

..started by marking out on tape the panel area from the model itself and the window centre...

WIP1260_zpsyfgrlour.jpg

..used a burr in the dremel to radius the corners and mark out rivet lines etc..

WIP1261_zps09l6rh3s.jpg

..riveted and started to cut the slot for the canopy slide rail and a butt-stop fitting at the end..

WIP1262_zpsxqsjr7mb.jpg

..and the finished panel...

WIP1263_zpssa6htc1h.jpg

..once the panel was laid down I used tape to get the exact profile of the hatch..

WIP1264_zpsnozfzwbv.jpg

..used that to start laying out the detail and the aperture for the window, including scoring the middle so I could cleanly break it out in sections....

WIP1266_zpsv1rnh2eg.jpg

..then the hatch was finished too..

WIP1265_zpskpi4y6ns.jpg

..and the panel & hatch fitted in place, with the hinge added from folded scored litho - the roundel will just be a rub down decal I expect & I will scale it to fit..

WIP1268_zpsnonbeysn.jpg

WIP1267_zpsy9uaj4tx.jpg

..job done, now to move onto the other side - that doesn't have a hatch so will be easier :)

TTFN
Peter