F4U-1 birdcage

fastzx

Hi Jon,

what an excellent Corsair this is!

From my experience, future will help a lot with your canopy but you are probably at the limit in term of polishing... It looks to me like it would be enough and just fine for a wing tip light but I would say probably not enough for a canopy. Just my 2 cents.

I have been through this Revell Corsair build years ago and with some level of work and effort, I think it can be turned into a real beauty just like you are demonstrating now.

Do you intend to build a diorama for it?

Cheers,

Loic

Loic,

Thanks a bunch. Your Kate is looking mighty fine.

I'll look around the garage for some real rubbing compound and polish a bit more.

I'd like to place it in a small diorama, I have some Verlinden photo etch palm fronds. Now I've just got to save up and buy enough PSP to Look convincing.

I've done a few dioramas with some of my 1/35th armour and they just look more "finished".

I'd like to start doing that with my planes too. I've been racking my head to come ip with a cheap large supply of PSP (Now what could I use?)

I'll see what I can do about the canopy but it will most likely remain open as I installed my first resin BB cockpit in this one..... boy it was a tight fit. lots of sanding but beats the heck out of the unrealistic Revell pit.

Jon,

Considering you are scratchbuilding this conversion, it is looking just great. To my eyes, the depth of your fuselage sallops look just fine to me. I look forward to seeing further progress with this build, as I am enjoying it very much.

Cheers

Derek

• 2 months later...

Well,

I got sidetracked from this birdcage build all 4 of my airbrushes are refusing to work and I've been soaking them in paint thinner then alcohol, then acetone and finally hot soapy water.

While waiting I tackled rebuilds of two Spitfires to BOB version MkIs another nightmare of events that is making them take longer and harder to accomplish with no airbruses functioning so all my cammo and codes were done with spray paint from cans and masking.

I've assembled two of the best airbrushes have them all oiled up and the seem to appear as if they should work (they are skeaky clean at least! and am hoping for a test on the birdcage corsair tonight.

Going to be close as to finishing this plane.

Jon

OK

I've cleaned and cleaned and cleaned my airbrushes 2 Paaches and 2 badgers double actions.

First slow then spitting then no paint flow so i figured thaey have built up various accumulations of paint (Tamiya acrylics mostly) They were working fine until then.

So I soaked them in paint thinner for weeks, and tried again - nope no airbushes working D@@@@&&&***MN

Soaked in alcohol for more time - nope

finally acetone - now that really started to break stuff up.

I fineshed by soaking in hot soapy water changing the soap and water frequently.

That's where I am today.

I reasemble them making sure every piece that was disassembed was clean to the metal. I took fine wire and made sure every hole was cear.

I reassembled each part with light machine oils on theads and moving parts.

I changed the Paache air hose and eliminated an old moisture trap incase it was clogged.

Air flows fine through the brushes (Paaches) So I run som alcohol through it WOW to my surprise air comes ou the spray noszzle AND the color cup blowing Alchohol into the air

ANY ideas?

I really don't want to go back to painting my models by brush - I stopped that over 30 years ago but that is what it looks like.

Are these siphon feed or gravity feed brushes?sounds like you still have some trash stopping it up somewhere in the intake circuit a trick you can try is loosen the nut that locks your needle put some thinner or solvent in the color cup or bottle press the trigger and pull the needle back with your fingers a lot of times that will clear what ever is blocking it ,you may have to move the needle in and out a few times but it might solve your problem,give it a try

Ed :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

My first hack at pre shading USN grey-blue

I like it.

Next step is to get the fabric parts lightened as well as panel centers and then blend & weather a bit.

Also have to spray the light grey underside except outer wing.

Polish and paint the canopy and glue all the sub assembies to this - MAYBE I'll finish before the 15th!

Jon

post-791-1236878193.jpg

post-791-1236878292.jpg

I just had to lay the decals on the wings to give me a taste of what I'm going for. I love the "early war" markings. ;)

shame on me for not looking in on this jon-----real modelling going on here mate and i take my hat off----i note youv'e referred to watanabe---rikyu watanabe the exquisite artist---is he still doing artwork?

dave.

shame on me for not looking in on this jon-----real modelling going on here mate and i take my hat off----i note youv'e referred to watanabe---rikyu watanabe the exquisite artist---is he still doing artwork?

dave.

The book I have is many, many years old

The Great Book of World War II Airplanes - 1984 Zokeisha Publications, Ltd. Artist Rikyu Watanabe

Most of Hasegawa's boxart is

illustrated by Mr. Shigeo Koike

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/airplane/museum/cl-Epln/FR047e.html