Revell/Lodela 1/32 Typhoon MK1B

Shawn M

How thick were your layers Shaka?

I will keep an eye out for this.

I've used testors rattle can gloss/dull coats for ages (pretty much fool proof)

then

swapped to Vallejo Model Air (can fog real easy if you dont thin it enough or put just a smidge too much on)

now

trying Future

I got all 16-18 stencils down last night, these Aviology Decals are a real treat to work with.

Decided to try one of the kit decals as well to see what Im up against.

Taking the rank pennant and applying shows that these old decals will work just fine, however they create a milky film that MUST be squeezed out from under them.

Checking in on the ol girl this morning shows great adhesion and the carrier film is virtually gone after a night of solution.

Should be getting back at it tonight for the rest of the kit markings, I did trim some up ahead of time to reduce the carrier film.

Also notice that "Tally Ho" was printed in black when it should have been white, I will hand paint this after the next future coat.

I've never had cracking on my planes, never. I've got planes that are at least 20 years old and there aren't any cracks on them. Your initial lite coat is good. Put on them stickers! Wait 24 hours, spray another lite coat to seal. Wait about an hour or so, and spray Dull coat. I've used both rattle can and airbrushed Testors Dull Coat. Never, repeat, never, had any issues. Just my 2 cents. If you weather, do so after you decals are sealed. If you use pastel chalks, Dull Coat after sealing decals, then use your ground up chalk. The matt surface makes it easy to smudge your chalk. Then seal with another lite coat of Dull Coat to encapsulate the chalk dust. If you are weathering with oils, it doesn't really matter, but do it after you've sealed your decals. The satiny finish of the future allows for great streaking of oil paints. Then Dull Coat to seal it all. I sure hope this helps.

Shawn,  I tend to spray Future somewhat wet. Let it dry for about 30-60 minutes, followed up by another coat. The sheen is slightly glossier than the sheen I might be seeing with your model.

I tried brushing it on as well on test model, but I think this goes on a bit  too thick for my comfort. My first Spitfire build (the Tamiya) had the upper wing markings sealed by brushing on the Future. Oddly enough, I don't detect any cracking on this model (just cracks from the stomps by my neice!).

Also, the cracks seem to  affect certain colors more than others  -- I don't have enough data to say this conclusively, but that's what I see. I use Tamiya paints exclusively.  Their OD -- no problem. Some of their grays -- problem. On the Peashooter, the blue was pretty bad. I shot another coat of Future in those areas and noticed the cracks look much better now. But the yellow -- not a sign of cracking (I understand the light colors may lend to how visible the cracks are as well).

Anyway, I'm not saying to NOT use Future -- I see many examples of modellers who don't have the issue I've  encountered and I was hoping to be one of them, but I also see many other's with my problem as well.

Where's the picts?

Thanks guys.

Im using Vallejo paints on this (my go to) and I would think the thinner coats would be less likely to crack.

Shaka you know I post pics when I have them :P

Right now it'd be very boring to look at, lemme get tonights round laid down and I will shoot some for you

ok so here are the pics

The wing roundels took a good 3-4 applications of micro sol as well as being slit at the panel lines.

Im happy to say as of this morning the carrier film around them has all but disappeared.

34477566020_8121a8e781_b.jpg

34824069456_113b5c6906_b.jpg

34020859254_2f1247d38a_b.jpg

34020858154_3f4747f124_b.jpg

34824066506_81be293bcf_b.jpg

34824066196_6f9dd849d2_b.jpg

34020857324_08c08a4b83_b.jpg

more decals to go, but at least I have a system down that works.

The fuse code "PR-G" will need to be trimmed to individual letters and have as much carrier cut off as possible.

thank you guys!

I appreciate the support and encouragement as there have been a few times when it got questionable in the work vs. return arena lol.

Hope to get the final decals done tonight, then more future tomorrow night.

edit

Just realized I only have 1 week left to wrap this up....time to pour on the coals!

Edited by Shawn M