AMT X-Wing

LSP_Kevin

And another one done! I started this a few weeks ago as something to tinker with in the background. Consequently, I didn't really put a lot of effort into it, and made no attempt to detail or correct it. Heck, I was hard-pressed to be motivated just to fill the seams! For the record, it's this kit (image borrowed from the web):

xw2066.jpg

Ironically, the built-up model on the box cover isn't actually this kit! It's the smaller "snap-tite" kit they released some years later. Either way, it's a pretty ordinary kit, and with so many better ones around these days, I figured I'd just slap it together and slap some weathering on. The only regret I have is not being able to get the laser cannon thingies all pointing in the same direction. Oh well.

Here are the photos:

ntz3hR.jpg

bzgovl.jpg

oTSeDE.jpg

mIEQzf.jpg

5AoEiX.jpg

1gKJie.jpg

The sharp-eyed Star Wars fans among you will notice that I misplaced the stripe decals on the wings. Just not paying enough attention on the day!

Thanks for looking.

Kev

Did you zoom it around the room when you finished it?

Go on,

you are amongst friends,

you did didn't ya. :D :frantic:  :frantic:  :frantic:

I think it looks quite good and I'm sure you had some no fuss fun too.  Great subject for a quick build.  

X-wings are always cool  :coolio:

Thanks, Dan. No fuss fun indeed! That was the intention. It's one of those builds that looks worse the closer you get, but has a decent presence from a distance.

Kev

Looks good Kev especially for the old MPC/AMT kit.

Now you should build the Fine Molds one in your stash and see how they compare.

Carl

Thanks, Carl! I actually pulled that one out a couple of days ago, just to assist with some painting ideas. But of course, it's all in Japanese! But it's a world away from this old clunker, and I look forward to building it some day - possibly early next year, actually. It's far smaller than this old AMT kit, but also far superior.

Kev

Thanks, Vaughn. I really didn't put a lot of effort into this one; I just wanted a relatively relaxing project that I could have some fun with. The kit demanded a little more from me than I really wanted, and I skimped on a lot, but I still enjoyed it.

Funny - I just checked my modelling output for the year, and it consists so far of 3 dinosaurs, 2 Star Wars kits, and only one plane! It'll be two, soon enough though.

Kev

Thanks, Paul! The next one I build will actually have an x-wing configuration. I couldn't get the internal swivel mechanism to work on this one, and had to lock the wings (S foils, I believe they're actually called) in the neutral position. I opted for the gear down option to partly exploit that configuration, and partly because the included pilot figure is awful.

Kev

Thanks, Carl! I actually pulled that one out a couple of days ago, just to assist with some painting ideas. But of course, it's all in Japanese!

Kev

Let me check but I think I have an English translation of the instructions around somewhere including the paint guide. Here's Mech9's translation of the Bandai colour chart for the X-Wing.

http://www.mech9.com/2017/06/172-1144-red-squadron-x-wing.html?m=1

Carl

Let me check but I think I have an English translation of the instructions around somewhere including the paint guide. Here's Mech9's translation of the Bandai colour chart for the X-Wing.

http://www.mech9.com/2017/06/172-1144-red-squadron-x-wing.html?m=1

Carl

Thanks, Carl. That page confirms my suspicion that I painted mine a little too dark, and it should be a couple of notches closer to white.

Kev