Help me pick my first 1/32 kit

Bstarr3

Guest The Southern Bandit

Definitely consider the new tool Revell P-51D, cheap as chips and a great kit too, if you decide 1/32 and Large scale is not for you after building this then you have not lost much, the price of this kit is the bargain of the century IMHO.

Maybe the Tamiya Mosquito might be biting off a bit too much, but some guys deal with jumping in the deep end better than others, we are all different, but be aware the difference between the Tamiya 1/48 and 1/32 Mosquito is dramatic, the 1/32 Tamiya Mossie is quite an undertaking, its fits well, no vices or anything but it wont be a quick build if you plan to do it justice.

:hi:

Thanks for all the replies! What an active and welcoming forum! I decided to pull the trigger on the Mossie last night after the first few replies. I'll be excited to get started on it and will be starting a WIP thread.

Nice one ... I'm late to the party as usual ... but for a first up 1/32 kit ... you really can't go past the Tamiya Mossie ...

Tamiya ... because their accuracy and detail OOB are pretty much market leaders - at least as far as their WWII props are concerned.

It's the next point that's the sealer in this case ... The engineering/fit of the parts is usually spot on.

So if you're looking for non-frustrating assembly ... 

Pretty much everything goes together with minimum fuss like it is supposed too ... it's just that it'll take a while :D

Rog :)

Welcome to LSP, best modelling forum on the web, in my opinion anyway.........

Great choice selecting a Tamiya LSP as a starter. Mine was the Corsair but then followed by a Special Hobby Tempest V, the build difference is amazing. The SH Tempest still very good but the Tamiya engineering is better........

I've definitely recognized in 48 scale that the engineering and fit on Tamiya kits is the best I have encountered. I could have put their 1/48 P-47 together just by shaking the box, I think. Although it's a big and daunting kit, I'm really looking forward to the Mossie, and will try to think of it as a bunch of little models that go together in the end, as many people have described the kit. I'll look into something like the Revell P-51 or FW-190 if I need to step aside and do an easy kit to get my mojo back. Cheers for all the great advice and encouragement. I'm really looking forward to being a member of this forum and posting my first WIP

Edited by Bstarr3

Hi,

I will also stress an aspect already mentioned by others: the risk to be fed up by the project length! People generally need between one and two months to end a 1/48th Tamiya kit. However, the large Mossie will ask for at least a minimum of six months of work. I would also try first a single seater kit to assess your pleasure to dedicate more time to a single kit. The Revell P-51D or Fw-190F are indeed excellent cheap options.

I picked up the Tamiya Mossie on special about a year ago, when it was delivered and I took the box top off it blew my mind! Way more kit than I expected to be honest and it is now a stash queen. I may get to it, I may not....

I picked up the Tamiya Mossie on special about a year ago, when it was delivered and I took the box top off it blew my mind! Way more kit than I expected to be honest and it is now a stash queen. I may get to it, I may not....

I sort of have the same intimidation factor of my Trumpeter TBF-1C, nearly 500 parts is a big bite. When I was doing 1/72 scale exclusively, the part counts were from 30-70,  Jumping up to 1/32, I found that 130-200 were common, although some kits like WIngnut and Tamiya make the builds a little more complicated.  

I sort of have the same intimidation factor of my Trumpeter TBF-1C, nearly 500 parts is a big bite. When I was doing 1/72 scale exclusively, the part counts were from 30-70,  Jumping up to 1/32, I found that 130-200 were common, although some kits like WIngnut and Tamiya make the builds a little more complicated.  

Yeah, but the Trumpeter Avenger is soooooooooooo good.  It may be intimidating, but it was for me one of the most enjoyable builds I've ever experienced.  It was what turned me on to 1/32 scale.  I'd primarily been doing 1/35 armor since getting back into the hobby, but I decided to snag the TBM kit and built it up about a year ago.  From then on, I was hooked.  Now, many hours of 1/32 kits (and varying degrees of success...) I'm still going strong.  Hoping to finish up a pair of Messerschmitts here in the next few weeks.  

Edited by Gewehr 43