Tamiya F4U-1D VMF-512 1945 1/3 UPDATE!

LSP_Paul

Great start Paul. Nice to see you gettin' glue on your fingers and paint under your fingernails again!

Other than the Eduard Zoom set, what other of the aftermarket items you've shown have you decided are not worth using?

Cheers,

Wolf

Hi Wolf!  Well the Eduard photo etched metal set I have was a waste ( in my opinion ) but the kit parts and 'Cudda Decal placcards and stencils are  the way to go. PE is heading back.

The second item may just be a bad batch, and truthfully not under macro, the voids and air bubbles popping though may not be very visible under a layer of Mr Surfacer. I think I just got a weird set of tires and wheels from Brassin it happens, but I'm not putting this set on my plane.

post-3619-0-57511700-1513486730_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-57511700-1513486730_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-56139400-1513486807_thumb.jpg

These will go back as well, I'll try some of Roy's  :)

Thank you for lookng in on my build,

Paul  

post-3619-0-01880600-1513486767_thumb.jpg

Have you looked at what Yahu models has to offer PE wise for the IP at least?

Hello Gerhard,

Thank you for checking in on my build and the suggestion  :)

The main and secondary panel in the kit can be made into a very nice representation just by adding the Barracuda placards and painting things well.

I do like the Yahu panel, but after having enhanced my mustang with Roy's cockpit set decals, I know this kit will benefit from the same method.

Paul

Hi Wolf! Well the Eduard photo etched metal set I have was a waste ( in my opinion ) but the kit parts and 'Cudda Decal placcards and stencils are the way to go. PE is heading back.

The second item may just be a bad batch, and truthfully not under macro, the voids and air bubbles popping though may not be very visible under a layer of Mr Surfacer. I think I just got a weird set of tires and wheels from Brassin it happens, but I'm not putting this set on my plane.

These will go back as well, I'll try some of Roy's :)

Thank you for lookng in on my build,

Paul

Ouch, I see what you mean. I haven't seen that before with a Brassin set. They look like they've been used as a teething ring by a hamster! I have Roy's set and they're beautiful.

I've been scouring the ol' interweb for the cockpit stencils for you but no joy so far. :(

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Fantastic looking cockpit there Paul.

I barely used any of my Eduard set as well for the same reasons.

HGW also make a placard set for the Corsair but it's the wet transfer style. I have it but haven't tried it out yet. Maybe on my next one.

Carl

Thank you Carl. Yeah I have the whole thing dry fit in the fuselage now with nothing but paint and it looks pretty damn nice, Tamiya ROCKED this model for sure..

I'm still hunting a placard set though.  :(   

So besides the Phantom and your build here what else are you building?  I know you must have something stashed to the side of the bench we dont see  :coolio:

All the best,

Paul 

Thank you Carl. Yeah I have the whole thing dry fit in the fuselage now with nothing but paint and it looks pretty damn nice, Tamiya ROCKED this model for sure..

I'm still hunting a placard set though. :(

So besides the Phantom and your build here what else are you building? I know you must have something stashed to the side of the bench we dont see :coolio:

All the best,

Paul

Hopefully you come across a Barracuda placard set. Let us know if you do as I could use a couple.

As for what else is on rotation on my bench:

-HK B-25 Strafer. I wanted to see how hard it was to wire an engine. They were my first try at it. Might wait for the next GB to start in 2 weeks and keep going with it.

20170901_210928-L.jpg

-Tamiya F-16CJ in the 50th WW markings. It was my backup entry for the USAF 70th GB. Haven't gotten much past the intake assembly though.

-Bronco M-24 Chafee.

-Fujimi Chibi Maru Godzilla. Yep, a "cute" style model of Big G.

It's not really on my bench but I'm so tempted to start on my 1/72 Gunstar FF Ron Last Starfighter. Having finished reading Ready Player One is probably the reason for that.

So, not a lot.

But enough to keep things interesting. :P

Carl