Tamiya F4U-1D VMF-512 1945 1/3 UPDATE!

LSP_Paul

post-3619-0-72990000-1513236891_thumb.jpg

A month ago I started to get the urge to pick up a model airplane and tinker around a bit and see if It was something I wanted to do with my spare time.

I ended up picking up and mostly completing  a very nice US Navy fighter kit, until I accidently sat on it this morning..Yes, I really sat on it.. dont ask..

I had actually planned to post the warm up build in the RFI before starting this, but this accident with my warm up build just before paint this afternoon kind of put a squash on that.. get it?  Oi.

It's repairable and parts are ordered so at least I'm able to finish it when the replacements arrive. 

As I said, it has been a while since aircraft modeling has really sparked an interest, and revisiting the bench after some absence required cleaning my work area, so I took the opportunity to organize my work space a bit better in preparation for this project. 

There is a fantastic web page with a lot of information on the aircraft and personnel of VMF- 512 and their service in the closing stages of WWII in the Pacific.

http://www.adamsplanes.com/vmf-512.htm

I will use this fantastic kit and some aftermarket to try to do justice to the prototype.

This will be my first Tamiya Corsair! The funny thing is, I've had two pass though my hands since the first release (birdcage), but I've traded them off. This one, I shall build!  I've got a ton of great builds from around the net earmarked, and all the reference books and CD's etc. are ready to go.

post-3619-0-65299100-1513233593_thumb.jpg

I will also be taking the time to show a comparison between aftermarket parts and the kit parts.

Ive already decided a couple of the items are being returned. They just aren't worth the extra money from my point of view.

Here is where things start, the Kit and A/M

post-3619-0-13634100-1513232622_thumb.jpg

I will be getting started here shortly, one last item I need is still being sourced.

More soon,

Paul 

OK with all that BEHIND me.... :rolleyes:  Let's get on with it shall we? 

So this model's level of provided detail is a notch better than even their mustang if you can imagine that. So far the Corsair goes together in logical steps and the parts fit is outstanding, not that I didn't expect it after all the rave reviews and being a Tamiya Kit, but it's still nice to have it work as advertised for me. 

The cockpit below has been repeatedly dry fit as I've been painting and it's really nice to have that option.

The base color is black primer and various shades of interior green with black and highlighted metallic details where appropriate.

Next step is to track down some Barracudacals BC 32129, the cockpit stencils and warning placards for the Corsair.

I can't find a sheet in the US for sale..Could use some help if anybody can find a set for me, I'd be MOST appreciative...and can pay or trade. 

Barracudacals BC 32129

So I was going to use the Eduard set I bought, but looking at it closely it's just not worth most of it..

post-3619-0-87215000-1513465996_thumb.jpg

The detail is just crappy and the pebbly finish on the pre painted parts is sub par. I had intended to use a combination of Eduard and Barracudas set, Im just going to go with the former

First paint, just starting the weathering.. parts have been dry brushed and oil based washes over a clear coat for shading so far.

Still has light chipping and scratches and wiring to be added, and of course the placard/stencil set assuming I find one. 

post-3619-0-60577900-1513466205_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-59120800-1513466235_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-15994600-1513466286_thumb.jpg

Today Im going to focus on painting the rest of the interior parts and the tail wheel area, it's going quick!

Thanks for looking in,

Paul 

Yep, no PE in the pit is needed, nor anyplace else.......Harv

The canopy emergency release and a few other small details are available on the full PE cockpit set from Eduard, and would actually be very useful, but I am going to scratch something up that's got more 3D to it.

Paul

Shading looks awesome Paul. Not gonna be visible, but we know its there .

:)

Cheers

M.

Thanks Martin, I appreciate it=-)  It's funny, I can't NOT paint that way..  it just doesnt feel right!  Just like the extra wiring I'm adding, 9/10s of the people that would ever see the model in person would not notice if it was there or not, but I'll add it because I'm weird like that.  :mental: 

So my two choices are the Brooklyn Butcher or the Mad Cossack

11_The_Mad_Cossack.jpg

21_Brooklyn_Butcher_1.jpg

I havent made up my mind yet..

Paul

Guest Peterpools

Paul

Nice to see you back at the bench and the juices flowing again. Great choice and will be following with interest, as I've had three Tamiya Corsairs in the stash, built one and sold the other two - who knows why.

Terrific start on the IP and front office.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Paul

Nice to see you back at the bench and the juices flowing again. Great choice and will be following with interest, as I've had three Tamiya Corsairs in the stash, built one and sold the other two - who knows why.

Terrific start on the IP and front office.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter, it's good to be back at the bench, glad you found your way back here.  :)

Unfortunately it was my baby Grumman Cat that I sat on, but replacement gear is on the way, so I'll finish that one up along side this one if I can fit it all on the bench.

Paul