Trumpeter's SBD-1 UPDATE: 2/18/18: THE GEAR: DONE

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Rich, I've been trying to find out what they actually are. If off to my Pal Google and find out what color smoke grenades the Navy used in 1940.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 12/23/17: THE FRONT OFFICE: TEST FITTING ALL THE ASSEMBLIES.

Making steady progress on the front office – both the pilots office and the gunners area as well. All the major interior sub assemblies are pretty well completed at this point with quite a bit of hand detail painting to go and then additional Tamiya Panel Line Washes will be needed to bring out the details. I've been very careful to complete each assembly as per the kit instructions, strictly adhering to IPMS Box Stock rules; as care has to be exercised as not to alter or upgrade any of the parts with even small bits and pieces that are not included in the kit. So far I have been very pleased as to what Trumpeter has put in the box, considering the Dauntless is one of their earlier kits. Parts are well molded, flash has been at a minimum and the fit has also been very good.

I've devoted as much time to polishing, priming and shooting AK Aluminum over Mr Color Gloss Black and then toning down the NMF with MRP Semi Matt, as to actually building the kit. Overall, I'm quite happy with the interior, which replicates a well maintained aircraft but it still looked a bit to natural aluminum in color rather then one painted with aluminum lacquer paint for the period. I've decided to switch gears a bit and toned down the interior finish to better replicate a painted lacquer aluminum, with a mix of MRP Matt and Semi Matt clear. For the exterior, I'm now planning on going with Tamiya AS-12, representing the same type of aluminum lacquer painted finish and thinking the fuselage paint would have looked a bit different then the interior due to some fading and lots of waxing - after all, this being the commander's aircraft and congressional appropriations were always at a low level.

My Yellowhammer Decals arrived the other day: set #YHD32016 and they are beautifully done. The painting guides are first class and the decals look dead on the money. Of course I forgot to take a photgraph of the decals but I'll do a few a bit later on.

The .30 Cal MG was built per the kit with the PE sight, finished with AK metallics and Uschi Polishing Gun Powder. I decided to leave the MG off until the last possible minute as it's quite fragile and I'm 100% positive I would break it more then once during the painting stages if I added it now. The ADF antenna is almost done and ready to be added.

So far, I'm having a ball building the SBD Box Stock and figuring out ways to add some extra life without violating the rules.

Next Up: Gluing up the fuselage and then the big radial.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

vWob4Y.jpg

sepQgj.jpg

OcHmk3.jpg

rrnvJ5.jpg

BnL8UJ.jpg

wch5AI.jpg