Trumpeter's SBD-1 UPDATE: 2/18/18: THE GEAR: DONE

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Hi Danny

Much appreciated the welcome home :)

I've just started working on the front office and the kit being from 2006, is showing it's age a bit. I'm completely spoiled on how the IP on the Tamiya kits shine and Trumpeter's earlier attempt requires a lot of masking and appears very flat when finished. Since my interior will be basically AK Aluminum and MRP Semi Matt to represent the painted lacquer finish, the plastic needs to be smooth and it's far from it, with every major part requiring sanding and polishing  to remove 'polishing marks' that remained in the molds. I really didn't expect much more then what I've found so far and if I was going with a post Pearl Harbor aircraft, the interior would have been interior green and the polishing issue would have been a lot less. Being held to a Box Stock build for the contest, I can't substitute parts, add Airscale dials and bezels or even IP panels.

See how it goes from here

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Phil

Feels great to be back and I'm hoping to post the first front office update today.

Glad you will be pulling up a chair and enjoying the journey.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

I'm finally off and running and no question the SBD will be a creampuff compared to the Tigercat. I've been intenly following your build and your solution to the nose gear issue was brilliant. I've been harping on this one issue on both treads: proof positive HpH needs to cast a replacement nose gear for what the ki cost.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Denns

Making progress and a small front offce update today. Just love the Golden Age Yellow Wing aircraft schemes. The constraints going OOB for an IPMS contest has already posed a few unfore seen challenges

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 12/10/17: GETTING STARTED

Finally underway and the restraints of a pure Contest Box Entry so far has been a mighty frustrating and daunting at the same time, in that not only can't I add the simplest of AM (IP decals or PE) but I can't cut or alter any parts at all – more in a bit.

I decided to cut my teeth with the IP and while not bad, Trumpeter did go about it completely differently then Tamiya does with their IP's. The entire front portion of the IP is clear plastic; no masks are provided, so individual instrument masks were punch out of masking tape with a punch set. I'm close but no cigar as some of the gauges were a bit smaller or larger then the closest punch I had – I took my best shot, and moved on. The gauge portion of the IP was planted flat black, then the acetate with the gauges glued to the back of the IP with with Micro Scale Krystal Klear. The biggest problem is the IP is way too flat appearance and would look a 100% improved using either the Yahu panel or AirScales bezels and gauges, which they aren't allowed. Still very unhappy with the IP as it just doesn't look good at all.

The front bulkhead, the pilot seat and seat bulkhead were primed with Mr Color Gloss Black, thinned with three parts Mr Color Self leveling Thinner (18 drops), 1 part of Mr Color Lacquer Paint (6 drops) and 4 drops of retarder and air brushed on at 10 psi working pressure. Once dry, the IP was air brushed with AK Aluminum and let dry for an hour or so and then I masked out the small side panels and air brushed them with Tamiya Flat Black. To kill the shine and represent aluminum lacquer paint, the aluminum surfaces were air brushed with MRP semi matt lacquer.

The pilots seat was treated with PE lap belts as provided in the kit and at this stage of the war, shoulder harnesses were not in use yet for the Dauntless. A bit temperamental but once on look fairly good. To add a bit of interest, I added some stitching with is a 'painted on' detail which should be allowed - poetic license for sure. All the rivets and seem lines on the seat were treated with Tamiya Black Panel Line Wash for added interest as well.. The lap belts need a bit of weathering to break up the buff color and add a bit more interest, which still needs to be done.

The head rest is Model Color Red Black with a touch of dry brushing.

Trumpeter never quite polished the molds and every part so far as some form of grinding or polishing marks that needed to be polished out as they would show right through the AK Aluminum.

Now back to the rules: I'm not crazy about the plotting board sticking out as far as it does but the rules will not allow any modifications to kit parts and cutting the plotting board down to look nearly recessed or fully closed is not allowed. I will be contacting the contest chairman, asking if I would be allowed to have the plotting board in the closed position by either cutting most of it off or using a small piece of strip. See what happens but right now, I have to use the parts as is.

If I could find the Eduard Big Ed Set BIG 3246 for the SBD-1, I would jump on it right away, ditch the whole plan of an OOB build and go for the standard large scale prop category. But no matter how hard I look, there just isn't one to be found. Doesn't make sense to change categories for just the IP.

The other bulkhead is for the rear of the gunners area and since the instructions called for it's basic assembly now – why not .

Next up: further adventures in the front office.

Peter

The IP

rW5bSq.jpg

The panel with just the punch masks added.

5UgvnQ.jpg

krE45C.jpg

hCGzRf.jpg

yU920Y.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Don

I really didn't like the stitching I did on the lap belts and already stripped the paint off them. Re-painting in a bit. Seems I can't build anything these days without stripping the paint off somewhere on the build

Peter

Nice start buddy.  Great to have you back

The reason the IP is like that is because the Dauntless kit is pretty much the Accurate Miniatures Dauntless blown up to 1/32. In terms of kits to copy, it's pretty much the best out there, but that's why the IP is completely clear

Matt  :frantic: