Captain Roy Brown's Camel

Bradleygolding

Okay, just to show that I have been doing stuff, here is an update.

24274594098_49eaa8dea4_c.jpg

The basic cockpit fame together in scale cross sections!

38072264166_75933a7a14_c.jpg

In situ as a test fit. Now we start all the cockpit detailing!

I have also been doing some research into the physical aspects of Roy's Camel, I decided to leave the "Twilight Zone" vortex of what colour it was until later. I said earlier that WNW had made some mistakes and I still think that's true.

24274722288_3603101083_o.png

Here is a close up of Roy and his Camel from the WNW site (courtesy of Osprey Publications I believe). WNW do suggest in their instructions that the starboard side of the cockpit opening was extended and the port was the normal opening. I think that if that were right you would be able to see some of the structure above Roy's head as the shape is quite angular on a Camel, but it's not there. So I think both sides were extended. The windscreen is interesting as well, if only we had a photo from a different angle?

Well we do! Wop May was the pilot being chased by the Baron that day and he has his own web site with pictures. He arrived at 209 Squadron on April 9th with his camera.

Here he is in his plane.

38051482792_af10d7f33e_o.jpg

This photo is a higher res crop of the one on his site and is from Warbirds Radio. The extended cockpit can be clearly seen as well as the large crash pads on the guns. The windscreen which is the same construction as Roy's, slopes forward! Not an option on any of WNW choices. These are not new photos, they have been in the public domain for years, but they are worth studying.

That's all for now.

Steve

Gigant,

I came across a part of the Replicraft drawings which covered just that area and I can recommend this site about a modern replica, sadly now crashed.

http://www.johnsshawaviation.co.uk/wordpress/sopwith-camel-f1-2/sopwith-camel-introduction/

Or any of the builds on the Aerodrome Forum.

Steve.

Edited by Bradleygolding

Nice progress.  I'll be curious to see this one come along! 

I know what you mean about WWI aircraft and scale.

I have been studying a bunch of WNW kits lately and am building the LVG right now.

A number of the smaller fighter planes are effectively 1/48 WWII fighter size...

Like the Pfalz D III is roughly the size of, say, a 1/48 spitfire or Bf-109.

If big is your thing, have a go with the WNW Gotha!  Or the Felixstowe! 

One has a 29" wingspan and the other a 36" wingspan.  Nothing small there!

Looking forward to more progress photos!

I agree that the Felixstowe and Gotha are amazing models, and of a significant size! I just think that the complexity of these kits would be better served at a larger scale. I can't deny how good they are and I am still tempted. I really should have bought one of the water damaged ones.

Steve.

Actually, Steve, with the size of the Gotha, for instance, not unlike the Monogram B-17G, the old Aurora in 1/48th scale is very large, and in my experience, nice to build, which is why I have two in my stash (one Aurora, one K&B.  B).

The size jump from 1/72 to 1/48th is a lot more then you might imagine, and not unlike your Camel, with a wingspan of over 19" and a fuselage over 10", is big enough for the extensive modification-work you like to do:

http://www.modelingmadness.com/review/w1/ger/lylegotha.htm

Edited by Gigant

Here is a review of AK paints for RAF aircraft:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/paint/aki/paint_aki_2010.shtml

It says they are a former armor model paint company trying to get into the more difficult aircraft stuff, and from their color chart comparison-well you decide, but it looks to me like they are trying to adapt their armor colors into an "almost-match".

Frankly, I prefer the aggressiveness of Vajello's marketing and have had no quality issues with them, as far as the "eye-dropper bottle" paint sets. Otherwise I use Testors MM.

Edited by Gigant

If your looking for documentation here you go not a lot text but good stuff.

It's 25 Pounds UK, Its got close to 50 great pages of CAD 3D drawings of everything. I'm going to start a 1/8 Hasegawa Camel this winter and the kit needs a lot of improvements. 

https://www.crossandcockade.com/store/Product.asp?cat=52&id=290

Hm, thanks Gigant. I think some testing is in order before I use them in earnest.

AVbob, thanks for the link. I have a fair amount on the Camel and may look at this as well if I come up short in other areas.

Steve

Edited by Bradleygolding

This rather hefty tome arrived today, and very interesting it is too.  Only two real drawbacks, none of the photos are credited (which is deliberate, but annoying), and the author does not even admit that PC 12 is a colour that was used in WW1. All of the RANS colour plates which are beautify done have PC 10 as their base colour!

37564939054_94d6665716_c.jpg

Really good book though.

Steve

Just to prove that I have not just been buying things!

24474882208_d5fc6b7782_c.jpg

Some filling of shrinkage and injection pin marks, Tanks test fitted, and the nearly completed firewall.

38290934276_9117b58870_c.jpg

Setting up the chair for some impromptu wickerwork!

Steve

Edited by Bradleygolding