F-4E Phantom II in Hill Grey

BloorwestSiR

Coming together nicely, I can't wait to see the burner cans. Will you post a closeup of The bare metal and cans when they're in? I've only done it once and would benefit from your approach I think looking at the rest of your painting.

Thanks Chris. I'll do the best I can with some closeups. This is the first time I've tried this approach to installing the burner cans and lower fuselage so I hope it works. On my previous builds, I followed the instructions so I'll see if this works better.

Another change for me is the way that I apply Alclad. I have usually applied it onto bare plastic without any primer. I've found that it easier to polish Barr plastic than paint and not had any issues with the Alclad crazing the plastic.

It does mean that you have to mask off the area twice to keep paint off the plastic so this time I decided to use a gloss black primer coat.

I masked off the fuselage and then gave the paint a quick pass with a 3000 grit polishing wheel.

20171216_101755-L.jpg

20171216_101740-L.jpg

I then sprayed Tamiya gloss black. I thinned it to about 70:30 thinner to paint. Once it was opaque, I sprayed a final coat of 90:10 thinner to paint to get a glossy finish.

20171216_102612-L.jpg

Now to let that dry and then I'll start on the Alclad.

Carl

Whoa, you've flying Carl, looking extremely good, have a D I'm going to do in Hill Grey and it's certainly whetting my appetite.

Thanks Andy! I did a D earlier in the Hill Grey so now I get to do my favourite version of the F-4 in my favourite camo.

Hopefully you'll start yours soon.

Onto some metallic paints now. Hopefully the pictures are okay as I just have my cell phone.

I started with a base of Alclad Stainless Steel.

20171216_213451-L.jpg

Once this was dry, I sprayed some very thin stripes of Pale Exhaust. This followed the panel lines but was done freehand.

20171216_211841-L.jpg

20171216_213720-L.jpg

Lastly, I added some spoltches of Tamiya clear blue to give it that bit of heat discoloration. This was done using a mix of 70:30 lacquer thinner:paint.

20171216_213459-L.jpg

20171216_211828-L.jpg

And that's about it. Next up will be the tailplanes and the burner cans themselves.

Carl

Nice work Carl! You've kicked it into afterburner now.. :goodjob:

Paul

Thanks Paul!

Speaking of which, here are the burner cans.

20171221_103750-L.jpg

20171221_103820-L.jpg

I painted the inner section in Tamiya Buff with a touch of gloss white added to it. I then gave them a dark panel wash and finally used Tamiya green weathering pastels them. I'm not sure if you can really see all that in the pics.

I can see the tones from here Carl, looks great.. I bet painting them was Exhausting...I stole that joke from earlier in another thread..Seriously, I should know better lol

Now Mikes going to come after me for proper Writers Credit.....

Keep up the Great work ol Bean, Looking quite spiffy  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: 

Paul 

Thanks Paul!

I don't mind the jokes. It's what keeps us going at times.

Speaking of which, after getting the burner cans done, I switched gears and started on, yup, the MLG.

20171226_133920-L.jpg

I don't think I'm going to make the deadline on this one but I'll keep going and git-er done.

Carl