A-10B Desert Storm: 2/28 Taking a break

EmperorKai

Kai, excellent work buddy. I'm learning a ton here ! And Mike, your input is a great thing to have. Now make more 10B parts !.........Harv  :popcorn:

Edited by Guest

Thanks guys!

As mentioned in my last post, it occurred to me that a slightly different approach may have improved some of my fit issues.  So I opened up my A-10A single seat kit, and explored this to see if it would work.

IMG_8449_500_zpsb934cd58.jpg

Here, the one of the nacelles have been taped together.  The access door is tight.  The idea here is that the access door would be glued. 

IMG_8438_500_zpsa4c1e38e.jpg

However, counter-intuitively, the upper and lower nacelle pieces would be glued only on the outboard seam, but NOT at the pylon.  One thing to keep in mind is that the molding at the pylon area is poorly done and kind-of "crunchy".  By cleaning this up, the seam on the pylon is tight but the nacelle circumference may be slightly smaller as a result. 

IMG_8441_500_zpsd8013b54.jpg

By leaving the pylon seam unglued until the intake is fitted, there is an opportunity to shim the seam and slightly enlarge the nacelle opening.

IMG_8443_500_zps23153508.jpg

I found that the fit was slightly improved, however there is of course a limit to how much the pylon can be shimmed.  I think mileage may vary on this approach, and is just one of several other approaches that one could take.  At this point, I'm past the point where I can do this on the A-10B, but my fit really isn't that bad now.

IMG_8453_500_zps5b69074d.jpg

While working with Mike a bit, I learned that the clear kit engine pieces can still be used.  To do so, they need to be cut at the rear most pin.

IMG_8456_500_zpsbbbc67ab.jpg

When the resin piece is in place, it will just barely occupy the locating hole for the rear pin

IMG_8457_500_zps8193ed3b.jpg

The cut line on clear kit engine assembly should line up just short of the locating hole 

IMG_8458_500_zps63ccd96e.jpg

Here, the resin and clear assembly together, representing the interior portion of the engine now as well.  Note that there is a small step between the resin and clear assembly, so the pin on the clear parts won't actually lock into the forward locating hole.  This can be seen in the cutaway view below.

IMG_8482_500_zps5b2fbf98.jpg

All together for a nice cutaway.  From the rear view, I am not able to really see the clear parts at all, so they are optional in my book and I may end up leaving them out.  Also, I will be hiding the internals, so I've painted a base coat of flat black on the interior nacelle surfaces.

The engine parts need to be painted before final fitting, including some with the exterior color.  I ordered up paint and will have to wait until it shows up.  It also means that I'll have to decide on the paint scheme before proceeding...

Thanks for looking!

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai

Thanks Brian!  Thanks Harv!

I'm nearing the point where I need to decide on the paint job, and have ordered paint for either the Gunship Gray or Desert Camo.  In researching the "Peanut" scheme, I found some variation in the color call-outs.

a-10_peanut_flipper_700_zpsdd213287.jpg

Here, the two specially painted A-10 schemes, "Flipper" in the front, "Peanut" behind.

A-10PeanutScheme01_700_zps6713523e.jpg

Front quarter view of of "Peanut" scheme

A-10PeanutScheme02_700_zps71618e20.jpg

Close up of the nose.  Of course, there's always variation in image colors, but note that the dark brown is lighter here than in the previous pics.

Camoschemes_zps3dc1b0b4.jpg

Some of the references and color call-outs that I was able to find.  After reviewing the pics and sources, I've ordered the "Gunze Color Approximates", which are:

• C310 Dark Tan FS30219
  • C313 Yellow Sand FS33531
  • C321 Light Brown (no FS given)

Next up, the cockpit...

Thanks for looking!

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai

Nice Engine Nacelle work. it's no walk in the park. Neat idea widening the pylon base to make up for the stepping. Still not too late to shim, LOL.

The Super Scale color call outs actually look like what would be more likely production wise. Personally, I like the scheme with the Gunze call outs. looks great, though it is an illustration.

As for the Peanut Scheme; Two Bobs is accurate for the FS number call outs. He got them from the paint barn that painted those jets. 

Mike V

Did I mention

PEANUT !!

YES !!

just say'in

watchin' you :popcorn:

jack

Thanks guys!  Has been a few days and hope everyone had a great holiday!

Over the break, got Gunze paint for the Peanut scheme from Sprue Bros and was able to make some headway on the engines.

us_pacaf_a10_15_of_22_500_zpse9e5f9bd.jp

I have been looking for good detailed walkarounds of Desert Storm circa A-10A's to confirm colors in and around the engine, but finding that these are a little tough to come by.  There are plenty of pics of the Ghost Gray Warthogs though.  Here, the intake for the TF34 engine.  Of note is the color of the spinner cone that is generally the same color as the body.  Also, I've noticed that on the Gray A-10's, the walls of the intake are gray around the lip, but have a white wall.  However, I've found a few pics of the older A-10's where the body color was continued inside the walls as well. 

a-10a_thunderbolt_ii_68_of_70_500_zps105

Here, the business end of the engine with similar queues that seem to indicate that the body color is applied to the exterior of the inner exhaust funnel.  The interior walls of the inner exhaust funnel appear to be an exhaust stained dark white.

IMG_8525_500_zpsc955faff.jpg

The Gunze colors.  The colors on the end were matched to the schemes I posted previously, however I had to match the middle color via color swatches for the Gunze line, which is dangerous.  Initially, I had concerns that it might not be quite dark enough.

IMG_8545_500_zps4183b554.jpg

Here, the engine parts have been painted, washed and touched up.  When all was said and done, the color still looked to light to me- needs more of a reddish tint.  I think it looks rather like the lightest color in the trio, rather than the mid-tone.

IMG_8542_500_zps3771232f.jpg

I swapped out the lightest color for Model Master Afrika Brown, dropping the Gunze H313 all together.

IMG_8548_500_zpsd87b6123.jpg

A thinned mix of the Afrika Brown was airbrushed with a much better result.  Here, a comparison before (on the right) and after (on the left).

IMG_8549_500_zpsd0f47d81.jpg

All the pieces with the Afrika Brown- looks much more like the mid-tone I envisioned.

IMG_8554_500_zps785ebdbb.jpg

The compressor fan was hand painted with Gunze Stainless Steel Metalizer and polished.

IMG_8556_500_zps988ce933.jpg

The low pressure compressor assembly with Chrome and Stainless Steel Gunze metalizers.

IMG_8557_500_zps312c4082.jpg

Assembled and ready to go.

Thanks for looking!

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai

Looking good Kai. I got my vac canopy last week.....Harv  :popcorn:

Nice Harvey- Sounds like you'll be ready to go once you get to it.   Definitely a must have item!  I know you like the gray ones- Which one are you thinking of doing?  Ghost Gray or the Flipper scheme?CamoschemesFlipper_zpsccc0351e.jpg

Kai