1/48 SWS F-4J - VMFA-232 "Red Devils" 1972

DirkE

The canopies, although they will be displayed open, fit very good. The outer wings are on with 12 degrees. I decided against putty and extra styrene strips to fill the gap. Instead I sanded and cut until it it fits. There is still a small gap, but here I am using liquid cement to fill it up. Landing gear is next.

IMG_7921_zpsjglyol6g.jpg

IMG_7923_zps7qmkapms.jpg

Dirk

Edit: First I thought about displaying the front radar with open radome (therefore all this duplicating of the nose, what I did a few weeks ago). But then decided against it, because I got this nice set of bombs and TER and MER. So I rather would like to build it armed to the teeth. An open radar wouldn´t fit into the overall appearence (in my eyes))

Edited by DirkE

Main wheels finished (just have to get rid of the shine), landing gear pimped (Eduard placards are not bad, but its still like putting a 2 inch thick wooden board on the real sting), canopy got the pe parts from the Academy PE set (the Z-M canopies are a bit longer and have overall a slightly different shape) and also getting those Eduard Brassin MER and TER ready for the bombs. Napalm canister Mk77 Mod.4 and HGW stencils are hopefully the last am parts I bought for this kit.

IMG_8025_zpshjuuhxhq.jpgIMG_8022_zpsb1gp0u51.jpg

IMG_8018_zpsthjhmmkd.jpg

IMG_8016_zpsiqsduqd5.jpg

IMG_7976_zpsct7juqir.jpg

IMG_7974_zpsrjjnogyg.jpg

IMG_8027_zpsg8g2z9lm.jpg

IMG_8028_zpsib0zkwwc.jpg

Dirk

next step. Starting with the stencils and other decals for the belly and the MER/TER and bombs. I am using the stencil set from HGW, some from Z-M and of course from Furball (see op ref photo). For the MER/TER/bombs/napalm the ones from Eduard. Aaaannnd...I also have the Eduard placards for the J-version. ;-)

So I have the MER and TER painted. As well the bombs and the napalm canister. What I still need to scratch build are two sets of ZUNI rocket launchers (those dual ones who were placed at the missle pylon. I havn´t found them in 1/48.  Photos later.

IMG_8078_zpszsjlow2k.jpg

Dirk

HGW wet transfer stencils. If the instructions says "hot water" then it should be hot (not boiling or warm). Otherwise the stencils won´t stick to the surface (I used warm water at first). And they should, when applied, get a some pressure. Either a q-tip/Tamiya cotton swabs or something similiar. And letting them set over night before removing the foil. So I started with the belly to see how they work. Although they are designed for the Hasegawa/Academy kit. Overall they come into the correct places, but some need adjustment. Those which are disrupted will get some weathering with oil stain and grime. Its a delicate work, but I think its worth the effort.

IMG_8091_zpsvsa199ru.jpg

Dirk

I had some issues with the HGW wet transfer stencils. It didn´t work out as I thought. maybe the surface was not glossy enough. Idk. Anyway, I will try to get as much of those stencils on the fuselage. So meanwhile, the port side and the belly is finished.

IMG_8104_zpszqmer09d.jpg

Dirk