HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

Ever find out about O2 tanks mounted opposite the main entry hatch?

Terry

Not as yet Terry, I have some general arrangement shots and I know how many there are in that area, but as for the size of the tanks, I think they will have to go the way of the rest of the rear fuselage and be eyeballed for size. Perspective and viewpoints can make things appear deceptively large in certain photos, and as with the very first stringer I laid down, eventually you've just got to thrown caution to the wind and start somewhere! :)

Of course, if you did happen to find any info on them, I would be more than grateful!

Oh my............that is just freakin' crazy Craig! My kind o' crazy but crazy nonetheless!

Cheers,

Wolf

You know Wolf, I can't help but say that you are somewhat responsible for this...... without your method of using epoxy adhesives, I doubt if I would have had the success I've had with attaching all those fiddly little parts. I am eternally in your debt, Sir! :)

Craig, You sir, are as mad as cheese....

I love cheese!!

Freaking amazing!

Tim

Don't we all Tim! Many thanks; I'm loving watching your Tornado come along too.

Much metal magic going on here Craig - cracking stuff!

Torben

Thanks Torben, slowly getting the hang of the metal. The beauty of it is that it appears the possibilities are only constrained by your imagination. The learning curve is steep, but fast. I have many more concepts I'd like to trial with the metal, but its utility seems boundless :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hahaha, it's certainly shaping up that way isn't it Jay? Having said that, you don't find an awful lot of D model rear fuselage compatible parts in a G model  :frantic:  

I've got a few new toys to play with which may assist me in some progress, and I have a long weekend to have a play. I'm hoping that should mean most of the right hand side done in a few days, stay tuned! :)

Craig

superb!

I know how hard this is to pull off and the work involved in working each small part Craig and all I can say is you are truly a master of your craft :)

really starting to look the part, and those signature blister windows have come out perfectly

bravo

Peter

What a cool project! I've always liked the very early B-17's and really would like to have one in 1/48 (I have the Koster conversion but never really got going on it). Too lazy but for sure but that's not something you have to deal with apparently! I look forward to seeing the finished model. :)

Craig,

As expected, she continues to look more realistic as you continue your magic!

Very nice work on the main hatch and waist window frames.

Can't wait to see the hinged main hatch with a working latch handle!

The O2 tanks --- only seen one photo with a "glimps" of them being there. No idea how many or the arrangement, but did appear to be the same size as the "standard" O2 tanks on B-17s. If I find any info that would help, you'll be the first to know.

Terry

superb!

I know how hard this is to pull off and the work involved in working each small part Craig and all I can say is you are truly a master of your craft :)

really starting to look the part, and those signature blister windows have come out perfectly

bravo

Peter

Thank you Peter! All I can say is, every single day is a learning day...... The window blisters still need a lot of work but the base shape is there and as you well know, it's piece by piece :)

What a cool project! I've always liked the very early B-17's and really would like to have one in 1/48 (I have the Koster conversion but never really got going on it). Too lazy but for sure but that's not something you have to deal with apparently! I look forward to seeing the finished model. :)

Hi John! Thanks for dropping in to check out the build. I have two of the Koster conversions (mainly so I'd have a spare when I stuffed the first one up!) but the HK fort came along before I could start so thought, why not give it a go in 32? I wouldn't say I'm not the occasional victim of laziness, like most of us I do get easily distracted and procrastinate, and right now I find myself binge-watching the series prison break. Luckily I can still be at the bench while I'm watching.......

Craig,

As expected, she continues to look more realistic as you continue your magic!

Very nice work on the main hatch and waist window frames.

Can't wait to see the hinged main hatch with a working latch handle!

The O2 tanks --- only seen one photo with a "glimps" of them being there. No idea how many or the arrangement, but did appear to be the same size as the "standard" O2 tanks on B-17s. If I find any info that would help, you'll be the first to know.

Terry

hahahaha! some people are NEVER happy!!!!!  :coolio: All jokes aside the door is going to be quite the challenge.... particularly as it will be a main focal point for the rear fuselage. I've got a couple of okay pics of the rear fuselage and I know how many tanks there are in the back, so I guess it'll be like everything else in there and be done by eye...... hopefully the calibration holds out!

Craig,

I just discovered this thread, and am happy to see someone building what he wants to build, despite the fact tat nobody has it in a kit. Your work is amazing!

Gaz

Hi Gaz, thanks very much for joining me on my leap into the unknown. I'm a big fan of unique subjects, and my future choices are no different...... I certainly have a knack for finding the hardest way possible of doing something, but it's all part of the fun. I won't lie, the 3D printer made this all possible as a start point for me, but I've learned and tried so many new things along the way. Who knows what I'll be doing by the end, but I hope you'll stick around to see it!

Well it's the May-day long weekend here in Oz, so no excuses for not posting some progress; even if it doesn't look like much!

I decided it was high time to tackle the reclusive no.9 bulkhead. Why do I say reclusive? because it's the main mount frame for the tail wheel, so in most photos it appears buried under a myriad of other details. What I did notice was that it was thicker than most of the other ones, presumably because of all the stuff hanging off it. While I initially went down the litho-styrene-litho route of no. 7 & 8, I was beginning to feel this wasn't going to cut it.....

IMG_4475_zps6nwcqrzo.jpg

So I went with the same approach as the centre truss from the bomb bay. Once again, this method is highly labour intensive, but it does produce something that is very strong and can polished and cleaned up easily, so definitely not as fiddly as the ribs and stringers I had been working on of late :)

IMG_4477_zpsdj41l79v.jpg

After a few more hours of sanding, filing and adding the gusset plates (to both sides) here's what I ended up with....

IMG_4478_zpsrddrv7oa.jpg

Just before I finished up for the night, I decided that as this would be a naturally filthy area, to give the whole lot a bit of a bath with a dark dirt wash. I've never had much luck with these but I figure if I don't like what I see, I can always get rid of it easily enough..... here's before I do any more clean up:

IMG_4481_zpsybsozh5m.jpg

So that's about it for tonight. I'm going to see if I can remove most of the grime tomorrow and the start the ribs and stringers into this area. Hopefully some more progress soon!

Cheers,

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

Craig,

Seems like ages ago we were discussing Bulkhead #9 and the tailwheel.

You've captured the "heavy-duty" look of #9 beautifully.

Your updates are always well worth the wait!

Terry

Not sure what's more impressive, the modelling skills on show, or the fact that you needed to 3D print some parts, so you bought a 3D printer & taught yourself how to use 3D software.

Seriously cool.