What are your preferred model base options?

CANicoll

Last week I wrote up a review of some wooden bases (Bases by Bill)  that I came across at the Chattanooga model show in January.  I bought a base (with a kit) and a model friend bought over half a dozen of the wooden bases.  Here are a few pics, but that got me thinking about bases in general...

yk0c2b.jpg

shTWQm.jpg

I see that the resin PSP bases have popped back up on the scene.  I've also used small mirrors as bases.

Question - what is your preferred base for your prized model aircraft?

Chris

I've always wanted to try the resin PSP bases, but have yet to pull the trigger. I sure like that Fokker one you showed, and have been considering making a nice base using some of the cool prop logo decals that WNW offers for my few WWI kits when finished. So far, the only actual bases I've built were stands for in-flight displays, like the Me-163 I did last year, and a P-38 I did long ago.

Tim

Tim, Great idea, give Bill a call - I have a feeling he can do what you are looking for.  I'm going to have him engrave the 100FS logo into a base for me.

Thanks MARU!  I won't have anything ready to show you in Phoenix, but next year in Chattanooga, stay tuned!!

Cheers,

Chris

That is a great one!  Love the pilots pose too.  Chris

I just sort of found this one. It's my 1/48 Tamiya F4U-1A. For the base I used a scrap slate tile that had some crumbled dried grout on the underside. I felt that it looked quite a bit like a crushed coral Pacific airstrip

20180213_193309.jpg

Bases? I prefer inflight, since I'm building aircraft and not a car....

half kidding, but that's my schtick...

I use Flightpose most of the time (usually with mismatched rod lengths to get a dynamic pose) or the Tamiya 1/32 flight stand, but also sometimes build a base out of a large figure block (turned wood or octagaon/hexagon shape) with bent acrylic rod in a pose.