Spad XIII C.1 in 1:32 scale

sandbagger

Hi all,
I'm currently working on the Bleriot built Spad XIII C.1, Number 26 of ‘C' flight, 27th Aero Squadron, 1st Pursuit Group, based at Rembercourt, near Verdun, France during September 1918.  This was one of the Spad XIII's flown by Francis ‘Frank' Joseph Anthony Luke Jnr, the ‘Arizona Balloon Buster'.

This kit is the old Hobby Craft Spad XIII 'International' kit, which is I believe was the only 1:32 scale of the Spad XIII made. The kit was, as expected, fairly basic and had no engine at all.  In fact the whole forward fuselage was blocked off.
I didn't recall ever seeing this kit modeled with an engine installed, so I decided to give it a go.

The basic list of changes/additions to the model are:

Rudder, Ailerons and Elevator animated.
Louvres in engine panels opened.
Engine valve gear cooling fairings drilled.
Forward decking panel separated.
Radiator shutter control rods added.
Radiator drain valve added.
Engine cowl cooling apertures created.
Cockpit head rest support frame created.
Fuselage internal storage and cross members created.
Cockpit surround panel modified.
'Wingnut Wings' Hispano-Suiza V8 engine built (detail modified).
Forward fuselage, decking panel and cockpit floor modified.
Engine bulkhead scratch built.
Decking panel gun troughs modified.
Forward gun mounting brackets scratch built.
Engine access panels - changed to wire mesh.
Fuel filler modified.
Tyres spokes and valve added.
Ventral fuel tank cap modified.
Fuselage lifting straps added.
Fuel tank rip (jettison) panel added.
Oil cooler drain valve added.
Ring gun sight and mounting bar added.
Aileron operating controls
Undercarriage struts

Aftermarket additions:
'Aviattic' Spad XIII wheels (modified).
'HGW Models' seat belts.
'Gaspatch' .303 standard Vickers machine gun (modified).
'Gaspatch'  Vickers ‘Balloon' machine gun (modified).
'Gaspatch' turnbuckles.
'Albion Alloys' micro-tube.
'Steelon' mono-filament.
'Polak' grass mat.
'Aviattic' and Copper State' figures.
'Copper State' instruments bezels.

As usual I'm creating a downloadable build log in Adobe PDF format, for those who might want to use it. It will contain full and step by step descriptions of the model build and be supported with many photographs.

http://igavh2.xara.hosting/index.htm

The following shots are not described, but give you an idea of the changes being made to the model.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Very nice start!

I've got a Hobby Craft SPAD XIII "Aces" kit myself, and was disappointed to find as you did, unlike the old Revell kit, a blanked out engine compartment.

Unlike the typical rotary-engined aircraft, the SPAD's engine/cowling arrangement is complicated by the fact that the designers practically "shrink-wrapped" the upper cowling over the engine, so I know it will not be simple. I always figured that was a reason why they "chickened-out" on that feature.

So, I will enjoy watching how you do it! :popcorn:

Mike,

Outstanding first progress my friend.Looking forward to following along with this since I have the same kit. I hope to borrow a few ideas from you on how to improve my SPAD XIII. Best of luck to you with this excellent project.

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

" You Never Have Too Many SPAD's"

This is inspiring work, and could have the same influence upon a certain person with the ability to change the SPAD situation as does completing a vac kit.... it looks like even more effort than a vac form. We know that starting one of those, or maybe finishing one of those well, often results in making a good injection kit available.

No matter, this will be great to watch. Luke's machine should be a very colorful build.

Thanks for letting us watch.

Tnarg

Thanks for your encouraging comments.
This is proving to be a major rework of the kit and my PDF build log is up to 123 pages already and I've yet to put any paint down or start the actual build.
Currently I'm working on replacing the rather flimsy and I believe out of scale inboard wing struts.
These are in the early stages but are made from brass micro-tube, formed to an airfoil shape and soft soldered, with 0.5 mm micro-tube 'pins' to the wing location points.
The tricky part comes trying to add the various rigging points to the 'H' struts, as there are two flying wires and one landing wire at the centre of each side, plus the struts top and bottom cross bracing wires.

webstruts5.jpg

09.jpg

Forming the micro-tube into the airfoil shape is straight forward when using the 'Strutter' tool.
I think the Albion Alloys 'Model Skills' site (for this and other tools) has a problem as I can't access it right now - keep getting an error page.
However here's a link that shows it if you're interested.

http://www.redfroghobbies.com/productDetail.php?id=16197&item=The_Strutter

Mike

Edited by sandbagger

Yes their tools are good, if a bit expensive.

I have their 'Cutter', 'Strutter' and hand held 'Mitre/cutting' tool.

All quality items.

Also they sell pre-cut 0.5 mm and 0.4 mm diameter micro-tube in multi-packs, which I use for rigging turnbuckles.

Their 'Model Skills' site still seems to be down, well for me at least?

Edited by sandbagger

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,
I've completed work on the wing struts now. The following shots show the inner wing 'H' struts and the outer struts and cabane struts with all of the rigging fittings attached.
Now I can move onto the locations for the rest of the wing and undercarriage rigging!!

hstrutfin.jpg

strutsfin.jpg