Aerotech Supermarine S5

TorbenD

If you are busy with your orbital sander, just keep it going on these rivets, more appropriate on a steam locomotive than on a racing thoroughbred IMHO...

Gotta say, although I have a few Marsh Models in the stash, as I like their choice of subjects, I am not really impressed by their finesse. I really expected this one to show some progress compared to the others, but it does not look like it ...

Hubert

Okay... you asked for it... in for a penny...

C_DSC02280-X2.jpg

C_DSC02278-X2.jpg

In the end, I couldn't leave it alone  :mental:

Beyond now committing to remove and refine/replace(?) the over-scale body rivets as well, further sessions with sanding sticks and plenty of water to keep the resin dust at bay, have coaxed the wings into far more refined and sharper relief. 

C_DSC02282-X2.jpg

C_DSC02290-X2.jpg

C_DSC02291-X2.jpg

C_DSC02294-X2.jpg

The chin air scoop is very crude on the model so will have to go 

C_DSC02284-X2.jpg

C_Screen%20Shot%202017-11-19%20at%2020.2

Mind you, I'll have to check my references as this scoop only appears in some of the reference shots

Now you see it..

pebbler-webster-top-rear-with-r-j-mitche

now you don't

Screen%20Shot%202017-10-29%20at%2009.33.

In fact there are quite a few minor differences, not only between the 3 S5s but also between the same aircraft at different stages of their continual development

I have to admit, my initial impressions of this kit have been tempered somewhat. That said, I think/hope I'm going to enjoy (rather than endure) the rest of the journey  :fight:  

Torben

Edited by TorbenD

• 2 weeks later...

Please can this be moved through to the the Colour me blue group build.

Just a quick update - I've pinned all the flaps etc for extra security.

D_DSC02296-X2.jpg

D_DSC02299-X2.jpg

As you can see, all the new flaps and tail feathers need thinning like the wings and blending in as they're more than a wee bit on the chubby side...

D_DSC02314-X2.jpg

D_DSC02306-X2.jpg

D_DSC02303-X2.jpg

Oh, and that's probably the last time you'll see the original over-scale rivets on the body too. Now, let battle recommence with the sanding sticks and water...  :fight:

Torben

Thx Gaz, Alain, Jens and Maru, once I got over the initial trepidation of doing serious remedial work on such an expensive kit  - especially resin of which I have little experience - I'm going full Monty with this! 

Another quick shot before the sanding began - as you can see quite a bit of resin to loose!

E_DSC02315-X2.jpg

After serval hours of wet sanding, mostly with quite coarse Flory sticks I got much closer to the scale thickness on the edges with the flaps and wings/tail planes all blended in. Oh and those pesky overdone rivets are toast too!

E_DSC02319-X2.jpg

E_DSC02322-X2.jpg

E_DSC02328-X2.jpg

E_DSC02324-X2.jpg

E_DSC02330-X2.jpg

This all highlighted the unevenness of the hinge-lines so i took the decision to fill all of these with Milliput...

E_DSC02332-X2.jpg

which was then sanded smooth with the view to re-cutting/re-scribing the flaps.

E_DSC02348-X2.jpg

more in a moment...

I have now come to the conclusion that quite a bit of work will also be needed on the engine cowlings.

E_DSC02345-X2.jpg

E_DSC02341-X2.jpg

E_DSC02335-X2.jpg

I think we can all agree those panel-lines are more than a tad on the heavy side - more like a car door gap than one should find on a high speed aircraft.

The question is, what to fill these with before re-scribing? Gut feel says Milliput as this seems to have a similar softness to the surrounding resin but my previous fill and scribing has been with super glue. Any thoughts anyone?  :shrug:

I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to paint or (dare I say it..) foil the cowlings but one things for sure I'm almost certainly going to need these Dzus fasteners from Archers. In the resin moulding there are, slightly oddly, a few  extra “ghosted“ fasteners next to the fully formed fasteners.

‘til next time.. thanks for looking,

Torben

E_DSC02355-X2.jpg

As for the rest of the fuselage riveting I acquired plenty of new supplies recently...

E_DSC02357-X2.jpg

E_DSC02356-X2.jpg

Of the two I think HGW's sets will end up being more to scale - even the smallest. Either way going to be fun finding that out as and when I finally get to that stage.  :hmmm:

Guest Peterpools

Torben

So glad you are going to tackling the Aerotech Supermarine S5; just a fantastic project. I've been very carefully catching up and following your work to date and I can only imagine how much time and effort has already gone into the project. Greatly appreciate the photos of the correct Archer and HGW rivets and will be following with intense interest. Please go slow on the riveting process, so we can see how it is done.

Keep 'em coming

Peter