Realistic wood finishes

Haggis

Hi chaps, I am doing the Trumpeter Wellington at the moment and there are many areas of natural wood in the aircraft. I remembered Jay's article when he did that WWI German thingy (sorry, haven't a clue on the stuff) and he used oil paints. I didn't use iol paints on this for two reasons, the first is that this is for Jay's mag and I have a really tight deadline and oil paints can take a while to dry, and the second is I don't have any oil paints! :unsure:

I undercoated the areas in Gunze RLM 79 sand but any semi gloss light brown colour will do. Then I wet dry brushed (if that makes sense) the darker brown, for this I used Vallejo Dark Earth (given a few shakes in the bottle but not too much.

The semi gloss undercoat really helps making the top coat slide on. The brush I used was one of the kids really crappy old bristly things, for this technique the worse the brush is the better.

I really like the effect using these paints and they dry in about 10 minutes to a semi gloss sheen which really looks like varnished wood.

wood1.jpg

makes sence the way you explained it and teh undercoat being wet also but how

long should we wait until we start drybrushing the darker top coulor on it a few minutes?

Looks great for sure

Wil try this later on on a diorama

I use to sand the wooden parts with a verry rough sanding paper and that makes the grain of the wood also

then painbt it like you explained and wash it with a dark color and voila

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Haggo,

It seems such a shame, might be worth putting a couple of LED's in there in the crew positions for lighting it up for special occasions, you would at least see the interior in the lightin environment it was for not much time and effort.

Phantom

Dang it, Jamie! I'm jealous! Really great! That's the best painted wood effect I've seen! And how is the rest of the Wellington kit so far?

I do have a question: the fabric showing between the geodesic structure. Was it painted silver? or did the primer or fabric color show through? It's not really visible anyway, but nonetheless I'm curious.

Regards,

Ross

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ross.

The age old question. Some say the fabric was painted red primer on the outside which leached through leaving a pinky effect. Some others say that the hole interior had a silver dope painted over the whole thing, either way the metal bits were aluminium. I went all over aluminium as its a lot easier and quicker.

Hi,

When doing a wooden prop,I first paint it with Humbrol 'natural wood'.

Later when dry,I add a coat of color varnish to use on windowframes at home.

Then with a fine brush strokes adding the woodgrain...

post-114-1156748192_thumb.jpg